Razor (DayZ)

Alcohol and Molotov cocktails, blingin'!

Where i come from alcohol is a means of survival~

So, it makes you warmer for some time, enough to find a shelter from a rain, it is an antibiotic and it lightens pain. The obvious side effects are random slight facing direction change and floating aim which is alleviated by food and water well over your saturation meters. Coke does not help, believe me.

If there are going to be fruits (apples from apple trees, for example) we could make fruit wine. And with sugar - spirits. It will require the introduction of a still to barns with some processing time to it.

Alternatively Vodka is written on general stores and yet...

And then there are molotovs. It's an easy to make (whiskey bottle+jerry can could produce 5, for example) grenade that can be invaluable in some situations.

Not alot of PVP happens in close quarters and throwing a 'nade takes some time so there's nothing gamebreaking. It will, however, set zombies on fire and cause them to run around in rage. A quite useful tool.

I like the idea of adding alcohol, for the purposes above, and also maybe some disadvantages to weigh its use.

I don't especially like the idea of home-brewing in DayZ, I have hundreds of priority way above brewing in this post-apocalyptic survival sandbox.

I think molotovs are already in line to be added, I remember a Dev saying something about it.. don't quote me though.

Alcohol does not make you warmer, it makes you feel warmer. It takes blood from your core and moves it to your skin, so you get flushed, but it only takes heat from your core. Brewing in the game would take too much time to be worth it, and realistically it would take a long-ass time. And although molotov cocktails are badass, fire would just rape your processor/the server.

So, good idea, but misinformed and not feasible.

Alcohol does not make you warmer' date=' it makes you feel warmer. It takes blood from your core and moves it to your skin, so you get flushed, but it only takes heat from your core. Brewing in the game would take too much time to be worth it, and realistically it would take a long-ass time. And although molotov cocktails are badass, fire would just rape your processor/the server.

So, good idea, but misinformed and not feasible.

[/quote']

So, it makes you feel warmer. The same benefit exists. Feeling warmer in a downpour in Chernarus would be a godsend in real life. Applying this to the game would be nice.

In the 1700-1800s, people regularly consumed alcohol to "feel" warmer. I see no problem with interpreting that in-game.

Molotov cocktails would not need dynamic fire to be implemented. It could have a reduced/altered Grenade animation. It would be used as a less powerful, but easier to find/make, grenade.

The Dev team has already talked about adding them.

No, you miss the point. the temperature gauge isn't how you "feel" it is your core temperature. you get sick when you get too cold, not just when you "feel" cold. What he's saying is getting tipsy in a rainstorm makes you a bit more susceptible to colds because it removes warmth from your insulated core and places it in your capillaries in the skin thus making your overall warmth decrease. Also this makes it easier for your blood to be cooled, your skin acting much like a heat-sink at this point. So again, you are misinformed about basic human anatomy and that (drinking for warmth) is a bad idea. However, alcohol's use as a pain-reliever and disinfectant is a good reason to have alcohol.

No' date=' you miss the point. the temperature gauge isn't how you "feel" it is your core temperature. you get sick when you get too cold, not just when you "feel" cold. What he's saying is getting tipsy in a rainstorm makes you a bit more susceptible to colds because it removes warmth from your insulated core and places it in your capillaries in the skin thus making your overall warmth decrease. Also this makes it easier for your blood to be cooled, your skin acting much like a heat-sink at this point. So again, you are misinformed about basic human anatomy and that (drinking for warmth) is a bad idea. However, alcohol's use as a pain-reliever and disinfectant is a good reason to have alcohol.

[/quote']

Eating cooked meat doesn't raise the amount of blood cells in your body.

Broken bones are not healed by morphine.

Blood cells regenerate themselves.

Ect

If we are going to perfectly simulate the human body, we're going to run into all sorts of problems. I did'nt misunderstand anything you said, i'm simply saying for the purpose of this game, or experiment, there is nothing wrong with alcohol helping body temperature.

Molotov cocktails would not need dynamic fire to be implemented. It could have a reduced/altered Grenade animation. It would be used as a less powerful' date=' but easier to find/make, grenade.

[/quote']

Molotov cocktails would not need dynamic fire to be implemented. It could have a reduced/altered Grenade animation. It would be used as a less powerful' date=' but easier to find/make, grenade.

[/quote']

That is how they can be implemented into this GAME, to add a more available but less powerful grenade alternative.

I PERFECTLY understand that a molotov cocktail is NOT a fragmentation grenade, and does not operate the same way.

I PERFECTLY understand that the human body is not actually warmed by alcohol.

I understand you (CoolestCat) do not yet even PLAY the game, but when you do, you will find it is NOT a perfect simulation of life on planet earth.

Your opinion as of now is "oh, well dynamic fire spread would be hard, so lets scrap your suggestion."

Thats not how ideas progress.

Your opinion as of now is "oh' date=' well dynamic fire spread would be hard, so lets scrap your suggestion."

Thats not how ideas progress.

[/quote']

No, my opinion is that if it can't be done right, don't do it at all. If they make some sort of fire animation, then sure, great plan.

Eating cooked meat doesn't raise the amount of blood cells in your body.

Broken bones are not healed by morphine.

Blood cells regenerate themselves.

Ect

If we are going to perfectly simulate the human body' date=' we're going to run into all sorts of problems. I did'nt misunderstand anything you said, i'm simply saying for the purpose of this game, or experiment, there is nothing wrong with alcohol helping body temperature.

[/quote']

This is supposed to be as realistic as possible.

Broken bones aren't magically fixed by morphine, ofcourse not. But it does help with severe pain.

As for blood regenerating, why do you think people can only donate blood like once a month? It takes a while to regenarate. Although, this might work for the game, you could find it in hospitals.

If alcohol were to have anything to do with temperature, it should make you get hypothermia faster.

Also alkohol scan be used as temporally painkiller(like eliminating pain for 20min) or painkiller with side effects9like eliminating pain and add blurr for 10-15 minuts).

It will be great ersatz for painkillers.

Love the molotov idea, crafting them more specifically. Should be technically feasible, however given the open nature of this mod, could be used in ways that really bring server performance down. Massive usage, that's the problem.

Alcohol makes you feel warmer, so when you get cold enough to start shivering, a dash of Jack & D could help with that but it will make your core temp drop faster (This could be signified by changing the Temp Icon to a different colour.

Could be good for emergency situations where aim is more important than catching a cold.

Could also help with pain and have all the negative effects of being drunk in game, blurred vision, muted hearing and slower turning speed. Maybe even tripping over every so often and falling unconscious