Sign in to follow this  
drschwamm

What did you expect?

So I'm reading this forum pretty long now (never bothered to sing up), and I've played ARMA II 2 years and have also played DayZ a few times (Not often, last time i played was I think a few weeks ago, I like normal ARMA more).

Anyway I'm not a huge fan of the mod, I'll admit. But that's because I don't like slaying Zombies. The concept of the mod is very

interesting tho.

-------------------------------------------------------- SKIP THIS IF YOU ARE LAZY

Now comes my point, alot of people complain about banditry, and how they think the KoS is ruining this mod (I hate it when people think DayZ is all ARMA II is about, srsly guys, there is way more).

They say, there will soon be no more good guys because everyone is a bandit and kills for fun. Or how I read in a diffrent thread

"The bandits are winning" (Thread: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52222-why-this-mod-is-failing/).

That sentence made me chuckle, because it's a quote from rocket itself. The bandits are winning, why? Because It's easier to be a bandit than a good guy. It's easier to kill someone than to help him. (rocket's post: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6487-wtf-is-happening-to-the-server-community/page__st__40#entry67159) Alot of people don't get this, and that is, to be honest, a good sing. It shows what we are used to in other games/reallife. In many other games, developers try to balance it out so it's easy enough to help others and be a good guy than to just be a douche. Same applies to reallife. Law enforcement and society makes it easy enough to be a relatively "good guy" than to just buy a gun and shoot your fellow humans. Rocket, on the other hand, said he doesn't even wan't to balance it out. He said "all balance is made by the players". And at the moment, the so to say "good guys" are in a disadvantage against the bandits. One reason for that is: They won't stop crying around.

Now comes a question to those guys: What did you expect? Rocket said from the very beginning that he wants this mod to be balanced by the people playing it, and that he wants everyone to play the way they want to. No one gets support "only because he is playing good" and noone gets penalitys because he is a bandit. Now when we think back, I already stated that being bad is easier, and thats why everyone is doing it. And if you want to change that, stop crying, do something. Don't get attached to your gear, that will help you alot because it helps getting over that you just got sniped. Convince other players to just try to play nice or whatever you want. Don't wait for rocket or anyone to change something FOR you, do it yourself. Don't blame rocket or the mod because that is exactly what rocket wanted. This mod features a constant struggle between good and bad, and at the moment, the good guys are not trying hard enough.

Now I don't say banditry will stop when there is more good players, oh hell no. There is always going to be bad guys and you will always get sniped sometimes, but when more people play nice, it will become way easier to not die that often and it will be funnier to play nice.

I personally think that system works perfectly fine and, tbh, it's not suited for everyone. Some people just can't play a game like this. It's ok. Just like there is people who suck at Total War games, or people who hate FPShooters. And to those people I say:

You're an Idiot if you bough ARMA II Combined Operations just to play DayZ without informing what DayZ is like beforehand. If you came here looking for a pre-balanced survival game, you're wrong.

I left out hackers for a reason, this thread is meant to be a discussion about PvP.

Thanks for reading, all typos are decoration.

Discuss

lol....ya you have some good points. the only problems you left out is the fact that the game is so limited and glitched that it isnt even a survival mod anymore, its pretty much just a fucking pvp shoot anyone on site that isnt in your group/team. this mod probably was good when it was first getting developed, but now people are to bored and have figured out how to camp and stock all the good places with the best weapons so that they dont have to worry about dieing to some stupid camping sniper that is bored taking out noobs on the beach or in cherno.

lol....ya you have some good points. the only problems you left out is the fact that the game is so limited and glitched that it isnt even a survival mod anymore, its pretty much just a fucking pvp shoot anyone on site that isnt in your group/team. this mod probably was good when it was first getting developed, but now people are to bored and have figured out how to camp and stock all the good places with the best weapons so that they dont have to worry about dieing to some stupid camping sniper that is bored taking out noobs on the beach or in cherno.

About the bugs, the main reason you all expierience them so much is because DayZ is creating situations this game was not made for in the firsts place. Meele Combat wasn't intended, looting stuff from the ground neither. All that was modded heavily so its clear that there are bugs wich can't be fixed unless altering the core of the game. The other point is exactly what I meant. The bad guys have a plan, even if its bugusing, they know how to get good gear fast, they think about what they do. They remeber the lootspawns, they work in a team to farm an area. The good guys don't do that. And thats why they get shot.

Edited by Mentosmen

There's no way to retaliate against banditry in the game. Even if you memorize the names and the faces of the people committing banditry, organize a posse, and go out and hunt them all down...guess what.

Options Screen: RENAME. RESKIN.

Even if you try to play by the rules of the game, it is impossible to punish banditry in any way. The only thing you can do is wait for bandits to attack you and then fight back giving up a precious first shot in a game where sniper rifles and assault rifles are overpowered compared to every other weapon. It's not that there's no organized system of punishment and retaliation, it's that the code lets bandits metagame their way to safety completely avoiding detection, revenge, and punishment by abusing the game system.

And this is on top of the fact that banditry is just easier than surviving. Bandit skins are necessary because there is currently no way in the game to keep track of what people do, even within the game world, that cannot be circumvented by liberal application of disconnecting and the options menu. And considering 90% of this game is being played by people with walkthroughs and gameFAQs open with every calculation of every loot drop available and arguments over whether or not putting vehicles in unlisted parts of the map is acceptable gameplay and spirited arguments for this to be added because "it's getting too hard for me to keep my loot!".

Give me a break. This game needs a come to Jesus moment, and it starts with the fact that banditry is the only protected style of gameplay in the code thanks to the ease with which you can remove all trace of your activities from your profile and the massive amounts of damage weapons do...and it ends with the fact that almost no one is seriously playing a game where dying causes you to lose your equipment -- this is, of course, why we get so many posts suggesting we add leveling systems...because the player base is just plain dismissive of the very idea of consequences for dying unless you're a new player...like people who have been around longer have earned the right to cheat, manipulate, and abuse the game code.

Edited by BazBake
  • Like 2

So how is not PvP survival? At least I find it way more interesting to survive against other players who are not brainless Zeds who run directly at you. If this mod was only about zombie survival - it would suck.

There's no way to retaliate against banditry in the game. Even if you memorize the names and the faces of the people committing banditry, organize a posse, and go out and hunt them all down...guess what.

Options Screen: RENAME. RESKIN.

Even if you try to play by the rules of the game, it is impossible to punish banditry in any way. The only thing you can do is wait for bandits to attack you and then fight back giving up a precious first shot in a game where sniper rifles and assault rifles are overpowered compared to every other weapon. It's not that there's no organized system of punishment and retaliation, it's that the code lets bandits metagame their way to safety completely avoiding detection, revenge, and punishment by abusing the game system.

I didin't mean hunting bandits down, I meant that you shouldn't play like your own life is in danger. Sentences like "When I see another player, I hide, when he sees me, I shoot him" piss me off. Why not go to him and group up? If he shoots you, WHO THE HECK CARES? It's a game, you die. If you group up and he backstabs you? Who cares, you had a good time. People get soo attached to their gear they loose all kinds of friendlyness and judge everyone as a bandit. Imagine you walk around, and see someone hiding in a bush, you would freak out thinking "was he trying to kill me?". Now imagine the same situation, but this time he walks towards you with a lowered rifle. Which one would you rather shoot in self defense? People take this game to serious.

So how is not PvP survival? At least I find it way more interesting to survive against other players who are not brainless Zeds who run directly at you. If this mod was only about zombie survival - it would suck.

Exactly, you have fun. Wich is what rocket wanted, you have fun by playing as a bandit. If the game would punish you for that, it wouldn't make any sense. The only things you should get punished for is unfair things such as bugusing or serverhopping, spawnkilling and hacking.

Edited by Mentosmen

Well, I don't have a problem with badits at all. But since the game/mod is in such an incomplete state

there are some possibilities to really piss people off.

When I played earlier this day a sniper surprised us ... he shot me, which broke my leg and continued

shooting, tried to kill me, but I could crawl to safety in time. I played with a friend when that happened.

So we both were in safety and quickly healed my injuries and tried to find the bastard.

It was awesome ... we sneaked through the city filled with zombies ... tried to avoid them and find the

sniper on hill at the same time. It was a really intense situation, and it was fun.

Then we were in a house in that city and searched for ammo, when another survivor came in, followed by

two zombies. He made something, it looked like he wanted to drop something or whatever, it didn't matter.

Since he didn't shoot us on sight we tried to kill the zombies that were after him. And suddenly everything

exploded.

Apparently he planted a bomb and blew it without even getting killed himself, or he planted it and ALT-F4ed

out or pressed Abort.

So we both died ... he didn't die ... and we even tried to help him.

As I said ... I don't have a problem with bandits ... but such poor tricks are just a NO-GO.

You might say he trolled us, well I didn't even know one could plant bombs in this mod.

Right now I would just say this guy had SUCH a small penis, he doesn't even deserve to live anymore.

Just to make this clear:

If anyone would ask me today if he should buy ArmA2, to be able to play this mod, I would just say

"No, there are better games.".

Edited by grasmann