Sign in to follow this  
stewe231

Expanded Camps

Something I really would like to do, is to be able to find sandbags, barbed wire, and other fortification props to build camps out of, and that these objects save with the character after you interact with them.

Also make Tents save with the character, not the server.

I already posted an suggestion of tents being more useful to create permanent camps with your group of survivors :)

The problem with camps, given the structure of the mod and the technical limitations of the engine, are that unless they introduce lockable containers, you are forced to put your camp into a very remote area to avoid being robbed. That is if you consider an undefended camp.

If you consider defended camps, it naturally requires that players keep stations at all times, and since we all (unfortunately) have real lives too, it's out of the question. People want to play, not to stand guard for hours just to see nobody.

You could have AI guards, that maybe have to be mantained with extra food to be stored at the camp, but then again, the ai is generally easy to outsmart, so they'd be just a bit more than practice targets for invaders.

Having barbed wire and sandbags and stuff would really be just for aestethics, since if you cannot lock a gate or a container, you'll always need a way in. Then you might just as well have a bunch of tents in a forest, and it'd be less visible and more secure.

Tl;dr: persistent holdings and their logistics are an impasse that exists in MMOs since they were invented. Everyone has their approach to this matter, but there doesn't seem to be an optimal solution to it. We'll have to see what the devs think about this.

For me, the best would be lockable containers. Unless you can figure out a way for camps to be defendable, in other words, not easily raidable once found, there's no reason to build an impressive but easy to spot camp rather than a group of tents in a remote forest in the middle of nowhere.

The problem with camps' date=' given the structure of the mod and the technical limitations of the engine, are that unless they introduce lockable containers, you are forced to put your camp into a very remote area to avoid being robbed. That is if you consider an undefended camp.

If you consider defended camps, it naturally requires that players keep stations at all times, and since we all (unfortunately) have real lives too, it's out of the question. People want to play, not to stand guard for hours just to see nobody.

You could have AI guards, that maybe have to be mantained with extra food to be stored at the camp, but then again, the ai is generally easy to outsmart, so they'd be just a bit more than practice targets for invaders.

Having barbed wire and sandbags and stuff would really be just for aestethics, since if you cannot lock a gate or a container, you'll always need a way in. Then you might just as well have a bunch of tents in a forest, and it'd be less visible and more secure.

Tl;dr: persistent holdings and their logistics are an impasse that exists in MMOs since they were invented. Everyone has their approach to this matter, but there doesn't seem to be an optimal solution to it. We'll have to see what the devs think about this.

For me, the best would be lockable containers. Unless you can figure out a way for camps to be defendable, in other words, not easily raidable once found, there's no reason to build an impressive but easy to spot camp rather than a group of tents in a remote forest in the middle of nowhere.

[/quote']

Good Point, but I would be fine in finding a good hiding place for a camp somewhere in the remote areas of the north. There should also be a place-able bush that you can place like a tent so you can better hide you camp.

Another thing I though of is that what if there was building? You could find a hammer, nails, building materials, and make some of the default watchtowers, bunkers, and other things like that. Maye even some custom made fortifications.

I think a good start would be to make tents stick with the player.

I recently lost an ak with 5 mags and 2 nvgs from a tent that got wiped after a server went down.

In my opinion camps should stay as they are...... a camp. Really a place to put all the things that you and you buddy's have looted and taken over the day to sit back and relax, out of the way in some clearing somewhere nice and hidden. If we start adding sand bags, bunkers and hesco it's just gonna turn into fort wars just like all the other zombie sandbox mods out there right now which for this mod would be far too sad :'(

PS. on a side note I could deal with having (very rare mind you) AP mines available just to give ones camp some cover when offline or away. Just a thought.

Munchy: You shouldn't have sandbags, hesco, bunkers.

What we should have is wooden structures, like Shack Housing, wooden "guard posts" (like ground based ones), barriers, and possibly razor wire.

In all honesty, camps should mostly be a camp, but if you go out and procure items you should be able to build up a camp-fort type things. Just... you have to make it kinda... Janky and "apocalyptic"