Hollyw000d

Still waiting for character to create

So, I bought ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead just to play this mod.

Then it goes and derps on me, causing me to have to fix numerous things. Yet one problem still remains. I'm stuck at waiting for character to create. So I spent some time trying to fix it and even looked into it via google, and nothing there. Then I came here and saw the previous thread, and it was actually of no help.

I also heeded the tip of being patient of this screen since from what I've read it can take a couple seconds to a couple minutes. Well... I let my game sit over night at that screen for 350 minutes, and still nothing happened. Whenever I try to join a server it still gets stuck at about 95% receiving data until it knocks me back to that server list with "waiting for character to create" in the background.

If anyone knows how to fix this or has any suggestions, I am quite open minded at this point. I would really like to be able to play with my friends, but if this still persists I may not be able to.

Same thing, bought this game for the mod, last night, installed both this morning, and the mod files. followed the install video posted in the forums. when i join a server. i can click on a empty slot then it hangs and says waiting for character create. ._.

Yea has anyone got and tips on how to fix this ??? Please i bought this game for the mod and i cant play it.

Thanks

did you really need to make another thread? instead of loading ARMA2, reinstall battle eye and revalidate both game files. then might work

did you really need to make another thread? instead of loading ARMA2' date=' reinstall battle eye and revalidate both game files. then might work

[/quote']

YES IT'S WORTH MAKING ANOTHER THREAD. Reinstalling doesn't do fuck all, i reinstalled both ARMA's TWICE, which is 28 gb in bandwith that I completely wasted. Validating or reinstalling battle eye doesn't do nothing either. so YES, it's worth making another bloody thread!

i would agree, im having the exact same problem and i bought the game just to play this mod, it is pretty frustrating when many people are having simalar problems and no one seems to have an answer. im having to ask myself were are the moderators and owners? we really need some help...

Just wanted to add m 2 cents, I've got the same problem as the original poster.

Just bought (via Steam) Arma Combined Ops last night (as well as PMC).

Installed all via Steam.

Launched Arma2, then quit. Launched OA, then quit.

Followed the directions in Magnets installation Youtube video.

I can get to the main menu (ie. Single Player, Multiplayer, options, etc). At this screen, I see Arma2 @days to the top-right, which I think indicates a proper install.

I select Multiplayer, get to a server list, pick server and launch, and can get to the Character select/create screen. I ensure Im in a character slot and click OK, and get the Receiving Data bar, which fills anywhere from 75-95%, then stops, then I get kicked back to a server select screen (although this second one has a different look, and is black in colour, instead of brown like the first one). In the background I can see the "Waiting for character to create" text. Doesn't matter how long I wait, nothing happens.

If I choose a server again at this point and launch, the same thing just happens.

Currently have deleted everything, trying a reinstall.

Make each your own thread guys, so it will be more noticable, also Mothman, i reinstalled both ARMA's and it didn't fix it :( so good luck fixing it!

i have and i really hope that its just the system acting up at the moment because i dont see any other post like this besides today, if not then i guess we all just spent 30 bucks for nothing...

I had a Similar problem in the past, i have Arma2free and OA on steam,

I had to copy the Arma2free files to the OA folder (in .\arma2free\) and extend the starting parameters to

-mod=arma2free;expansion;ca -mod=@DayZ -nosplash

Be sure that you have launched both games once before you try to launch the mod, maybe you have to reinstall the battleeye tool.

then start the game normally and launch Combined Operations

it will take a while when you launch the mod the first time it was around 10 minutes in my case, you have to be a little patient.

If nothing happened by then try disconnecting and reconnecting, that helps with most problems.

This saturday some of the servers were overloaded the DE1 and DE2 servers couldn't make a connection to the masterserver or something similar causing the "waiting for response"-thing... it worked fine on some of the other servers though

But that problem seems to be fixed for now, so hopefully enjoy the game from now on!

Just as a follow-up to my earlier post, I was finally able to successfully play last night.

I did the following (unsure what parts of this actually made the difference, or if it was just dumb luck):

Deleted local files for both Arma2 and Op. Arrowhead (including deleting the DayZ mod files).

Reinstalled Arma2 and OA.

Followed instrcutions provided by PsiSyndicate, as shown here: http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=634

(these are different than the instructions given by Magnet in another sticky at these forums... Magnets methods didn't work for me)

I then copied the BattlEye folder from the Arma2 install folder into the Operation Arrowhead install folder. No idea if this was necessary or not, but others ahve suggested it. I noted that the OS folder didn't have a BattlEye folder at all until I put it there, so don't know if it's required or not.

I was then able to get in-game. Note that my first attempt still failed... I got to where I was waiting for my character to create, and could chat with players, etc, but never spawned in. So I tried a different server and got in quite quickly.

I then copied the BattlEye folder from the Arma2 install folder into the Operation Arrowhead install folder. No idea if this was necessary or not' date=' but others ahve suggested it. I noted that the OS folder didn't have a BattlEye folder at all until I put it there, so don't know if it's required or not.

[/quote']

were exactly did you find the install folder for arma 2 and OA to put copie the BattlEye?

were exactly did you find the install folder for arma 2 and OA to put copie the BattlEye?

Going from memory, as I'm not at my computer right now...

(Also, I use Steam, so would be different if you use retail version)

...\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Arma2

and

...\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Arma2 Operation Arrowhead

Just as a follow-up to my earlier post' date=' I was finally able to successfully play last night.

I did the following (unsure what parts of this actually made the difference, or if it was just dumb luck):

Deleted local files for both Arma2 and Op. Arrowhead (including deleting the DayZ mod files).

Reinstalled Arma2 and OA.

Followed instrcutions provided by PsiSyndicate, as shown here: http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=634

(these are different than the instructions given by Magnet in another sticky at these forums... Magnets methods didn't work for me)

I then copied the BattlEye folder from the Arma2 install folder into the Operation Arrowhead install folder. No idea if this was necessary or not, but others ahve suggested it. I noted that the OS folder didn't have a BattlEye folder at all until I put it there, so don't know if it's required or not.

I was then able to get in-game. Note that my first attempt still failed... I got to where I was waiting for my character to create, and could chat with players, etc, but never spawned in. So I tried a different server and got in quite quickly.

[/quote']

BRO! You are my hero!! It works flawlessly now. Thank you so fucking much! I suggest you make your own thread entitled "[FIX] "Requesting Character ..." and spawning stuck problem" and just paste your thing in there!

thanks so much bro!

I bought the game yesterday only for this mod too, and i had that problem too. Looking on the internet it seems that afflicts only people that never used the game before, so i tried a few things, and i managed to get into a server! =)+

Here's what i did:

1)Download the file you find here: http://www.battleye.com/download.html

and put it in a folder named "BattlEye" in arma op arrowhead folder.

2)Then launch the game WITHOUT the mod, join and server and play for a few seconds.

3)Quit, launch the game WITH the mod, and it should work!

I bought the game yesterday only for this mod too' date=' and i had that problem too. Looking on the internet it seems that afflicts only people that never used the game before, so i tried a few things, and i managed to get into a server! =)+

Here's what i did:

1)Download the file you find here: http://www.battleye.com/download.html

and put it in a folder named "BattlEye" in arma op arrowhead folder.

2)Then launch the game WITHOUT the mod, join and server and play for a few seconds.

3)Quit, launch the game WITH the mod, and it should work!

[/quote']

Help..the game lanches

Help..the game lanches

I'm sorry what? If you have a different issue please make a new thread, otherwise specify a little more please.

I got everything up and running just as you all were, and also have had the "Waiting for Character to Create" issue. I copied the BattlEye folder from ArmA2 over to OA as you suggested, but have still yet to get past the "Receiving Data" screen without getting bumped to the "Waiting for...." screen. I've reinstalled both the games several times as well as the PMC DLC.

Any suggestions?

i don't think there is a single person not having this problem, let's be smart about this, there are loads of new players to this mod recently, i doubt the mod creator would have had any idea his Alpha release would get to this level, this of course means that the amount of people trying to log on far exceeds the capabilities of the character server. (the place where your character data is stored, and retrieved from every time you log in) So clearly this character server is overloaded and people constantly connecting is doing no good.

The only problem i have is that my character may get hungry and thirsty while i am not able to play. HOwever i expect some kind of clarification as this is purely speculation at this point, even though it is very likely.

I'm sure that the data server's having a hard time, especially with all of the press the mod's received. I guess a note from the Devs on the matter would help ease tensions some.....

Just wanted to add m 2 cents' date=' I've got the same problem as the original poster.

Just bought (via Steam) Arma Combined Ops last night (as well as PMC).

Installed all via Steam.

Launched Arma2, then quit. Launched OA, then quit.

Followed the directions in Magnets installation Youtube video.

I can get to the main menu (ie. Single Player, Multiplayer, options, etc). At this screen, I see Arma2 @days to the top-right, which I think indicates a proper install.

I select Multiplayer, get to a server list, pick server and launch, and can get to the Character select/create screen. I ensure Im in a character slot and click OK, and get the Receiving Data bar, which fills anywhere from 75-95%, then stops, then I get kicked back to a server select screen (although this second one has a different look, and is black in colour, instead of brown like the first one). In the background I can see the "Waiting for character to create" text. Doesn't matter how long I wait, nothing happens.

If I choose a server again at this point and launch, the same thing just happens.

Currently have deleted everything, trying a reinstall.

[/quote']

Just wanted to say that I'm seeing precisely the same behaviour. Get on to server (eventually.... Wow! the popularity of this mod is just staggering!) and then get all my "receiving files" stuff and booted back to server select screen with a "Waiting for character to create" in the background under the server select screen.

copy'd paste of another topic that i reply'd to

steam forgets a anti cheat program even when u attempt to install it right clicking OA... to fix that u go to the map arma 2 copy BAttlEye and paste it in OA/expansions (if its already there u dont have to do it, else u will because it will kick u of every server but shows you the background : creating character)

hope this helps enjoy ur day

copy'd paste of another topic that i reply'd to

steam forgets a anti cheat program even when u attempt to install it right clicking OA... to fix that u go to the map arma 2 copy BAttlEye and paste it in OA/expansions (if its already there u dont have to do it' date=' else u will because it will kick u of every server but shows you the background : creating character)

hope this helps enjoy ur day

[/quote']

wow thank you very much. this helped and now i can play. thanks so much.