Sign in to follow this  
mikey182

The SVD

I swear this gun does not exist.

I have been playing for a weeks now and come across multiple crash sites.

Not one has had the SVD. Ive found numerous bizons and even 2 mags for it. Allsorts of other crap.

But not the SVD.

I have every gun in the game now stashed in a battle lorry with plenty of ammo.

But no SVD.

Does thing thing exist?

Yes. It comes from the barracks though I thought. Ive had like 10 SVDs, and have one right now, but all are from looting campsites on the island and the edges of the map.

Ive had two and died from hackers each time (shot into the skys like a beautiful rocket). I still have like 8 mags for the SVD; however no rifle.

I feel you man. Only time I ever saw one was on a guy running down the hill into Cherno form the north. Me, with a M24 saw it! :D So i took aim and missed all my shots :/ Him and his buddy just scattered back up the hill forever to be gone. Sad day for me.

Got one by killing a sniper on the Elektro hills, shot it off thinking it was silenced or something, scared the shit outa me when I found out it wasn't.

why would you want it, it's a crappy sniper ...

summerfag... Please tell us why its a crappy sniper?! smh

It is crappy in comparison to any rifle that has adjustable zeroing and kills with 1-hit anywhere to the body.

There is a reason that 99% of the l33tsnipers are running around with AS50s instead of SVDs and it isn't because the SVD is hard to find. The practical reasons that would make a person pick an SVD over an AS50 in real life don't exist in DayZ. For instance, in real life the SVD weights 9.48 pounds with a scope and empty mag. An AS50 weights 27 pounds with no scope/sights and empty mag. Which do you want to carry on a 100km hike?

I prefer the M24, SVD or DMR if I'm going to snipe but if I want to be the most effective sniper I can be in this game I'd have to go with an AS50. That is why I'd like to see the AS50---and any other 1-hit gun kill that isn't a headshot---removed from the game.

Edited by random51
  • Like 2

The PSO optic used by the SVD offers far greater first round hit probabilities and far more accurate range estimation, all at a greater rate of speed then any other firearm or rangfinder+firearm.

• Like 3

I have it atm and i love it. Havent killed anybody, but i've been training my skills in sure shot map with my friend, awesome gun.

The PSO optic used by the SVD offers far greater first round hit probabilities and far more accurate range estimation, all at a greater rate of speed then any other firearm or rangfinder+firearm.

Which is next to meaningless in DayZ. If you can do mildot math in your head---and I would hope that most of us can---you can rangefind quickly with any mildot scope in the game.

Like I said, the real world advantages of an SVD don't exist in DayZ, except for its use in close-range engagements. Even that is nullified in most cases by the ability switch to a second primary with a few inputs.

...and hey, I like the SVD, I'm just talking about the mechanics of DayZ.

Edited by random51

see the AS50---and any other 1-hit gun kill that isn't a headshot---removed from the game.

Right after all the Dc'ers are fixed and I MIGHT think about using a SVD or DMR

Ive had two and died from hackers each time (shot into the skys like a beautiful rocket). I still have like 8 mags for the SVD; however no rifle.

would you be willing to trade some of those mags for NVG's?

i just got an svd but it has no mags

I found one at NWAF. Walked outside and got mowed down by some dude standing on the roof of the barracks.

I had one for all of about an hour. Used it to kill two guys as they got out of their helicopter, one in the neck, he bled out pretty fast, the second in the head while he was running around in circles not knowing what to do.

Then BAM! Thunderdomed.

No zeroing, chevrons are off even at 400m, no adjustable zoom makes it even harder to line up long range shots, less rounds/mag, ammo is super rare, etc.

It's like a DMR but worse in every possible way. Only reason I could see for anyone wanting it is the novelty of having one of the rarest weapons in the game.

• Like 1

I found a SVD today at the NWAF after patching up someone near Stary. Threw it away the minute I stumbled upon a crashed helicopter and got my beloved FAL back again :) But I have a question: is it possible that you only find ammo for the SVD at heli sites? Never saw those kind of ammo anywhere else...

• Like 1

Which is next to meaningless in DayZ. If you can do mildot math in your head---and I would hope that most of us can---you can rangefind quickly with any mildot scope in the game.

Like I said, the real world advantages of an SVD don't exist in DayZ, except for its use in close-range engagements. Even that is nullified in most cases by the ability switch to a second primary with a few inputs.

...and hey, I like the SVD, I'm just talking about the mechanics of DayZ.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree, But if the weapon worked the way it does IRL in game, it would be one of the weapons people dupe/hack/KOS for.

I had one, got killed when I encountered 5 people at Stary, got 3 of them before they shot me with their L85A2 AWS (Which shouldn't exist).

I had one, got killed when I encountered 5 people at Stary, got 3 of them before they shot me with their L85A2 AWS (Which shouldn't exist).

Why shouldn't it exist?