Sign in to follow this  
gogozombie

Just had one of the tensest play sessions to date!

My partner and I made it to the Northeast airfield, after several days of wandering around semi-aimlessly. When we got the the first hangar, we chanced upon a lone survivor right outside the door of the hangar. All parties identified themselves as friendly. After we lose track of the lone survivor, we decided to get out of the area. Too much chatter about locations to make us feel anywhere close to comfortable, or as close as one can get to comfortable. My partner and I head out the hangar and start dragging ourselves on our bellies back to the trees. Almost to the treeline, we spot 2 more survivors with their backs to us. We say nothing as to not attract attention, though we could have taken these 2 easily. The 2 identify themselves as friendly with the caveat of "just don't come near us", which is more than fair. During all this, a second survivor has joined up with the lone survivor from the airfield. Me and mine head into the woods, giving the second group of survivors a wide berth, and decide to check out the nearby dam. Partly there, the second group we encountered both die. They claim it was lag and zombies, but my group did not want to find out. So we head to an area I will not talk about.

This made for one of the tensest play sessions that I have had to date and not a single shot was fired. Thanks to Kevin, Langes, Irish, and Brandon for the fun and for not shooting.

I love sessions like them, really brings a reality into the game and makes it feel like an episode of The Walking Dead or a tense moment in a movie, its the same reason I've installed recording software and record alot of my sessions now because it makes awesome footage.

Sounds like that was fun. That is what makes this mod stand out and why it has taken Arma 2 sales to the next level. Minus the death match/stat mentality of some of the players (which is fine) coming across any stranger is definetely a tense moment.

um, i dont get it. you run into some people and they tell you to stay away from them.... and thats tense?

I am a fucking nerd,

each time something epic is happening my fucking hand starts shaking because i get nervous and my aiming gets even more awful on top of the in game aim shaking.

I was attempting to make my way back to the coast while seeing Kevin in the chat stating he is friendly near the NE AF. When I arrive I see him walking around the hangar, so I start to type that I am friendly and approaching. I then see you two coming from the other Hangar and decide to hide, using Kevin as my guinea pig.

No one was riddled with holes so I announced my direction and how much of a nice guy I am. I still remained relatively out of sight, looting the little supplies I could find. I eventually came face-to-face with that Lone Survivor in the radio tower and we go our separate ways.

One of the few times I was not shot in the back for trusting someone. Good encounters.

um' date=' i dont get it. you run into some people and they tell you to stay away from them.... and thats tense?

[/quote']

I would say the tension comes from the fact that any one of these survivors could open up on you and take your beans. There was also the thought that Side Chat was filled with information on our location, so the bean hunting bandits would likely arrive soon.

um' date=' i dont get it. you run into some people and they tell you to stay away from them.... and thats tense?

[/quote']

To quote the fine Kevin Costner film "The Postman", "This is what I hate. Strangers. Do you say 'hi' or do you blow their head off? Do they want to share what they got or take what you have? And if they want to take, how far are you willing to go to stop them? Damn it." All it would have taken was one person to pull a trigger and a bloodbath probably would have ensued, instead calmer heads prevailed.

[/quote']

I'm guessing from your posting history that you don't get it because you've never experienced it?

These are the absolute stand-out moments in DayZ for me, the chance encounters, the stand-offs and the bloodbaths that are only a twitch away.

I've said it before, but killing people is easy IMO. Figuring out if you can trust someone when everything hangs in the balance, now that takes balls.

Of course, these moments wouldn't be so intense if it weren't for the random PKers, lone snipers and shoot-on-sight types, and it's what makes DayZ so damn good. It's a melting pot of playstyles, and long may it continue.