underpaidorphan

DayZ has become Deathmatch / Team Deathmatch

Posts gets lost in this massive flow' date=' so i say again.

Easiest fix to make players afraid of the game and get PKing to a realistic level:

12-24h respawn timer, dependent on your humanity.

Scarcer weapons and ammo.

More zombies, wandering zombies.

[/quote']

that would be a good idea. if you went in negative humanity you should get a respawn timer. per 1000 negative humanity points you get an 30-60min !

pll are prolling sometimes in chat, " i have 12000 negative humanity, i am a real good shooter"

so these guys get that 6-12 hours. would be fair to pll playing it as a team !!

so if you killed a lot you have to respawn for long ;)

wouldn´t change the playstyle, but would stop pll playing DM !

greetz

Easiest fix to make players afraid of the game and get PKing to a realistic level:

[/quote']

Wow, harsh. I was suggesting only an hour. Definitely NOT EVER based on your humanity. I wish people would stop suggesting things that push one playstyle over another.

Banditry is easy mode, and that system would further increase the pressure on bandits. There is an option not to die, you know. If youre not good enough, see survival of the fittest. It doesnt favor any playstyle. But with or without it, that range between 12 and 24 is optimal. Its harsh ofcourse, thats what this game is supposed tuo be? harsh, cruel, unforgiving etc...

The fuck does anyone care if playing a bandit is easy? Surely not Rocket. Ever notice that the "I don't like bandits fix them :(" threads get shot down time and time again? It's because DayZ is a SANDBOX. It lets you play however the hell you want. It does NOT push any one play-style over another, and that includes being a bandit.

A respawn timer is great. It gives value to your life. A respawn timer that gets worse for bandits is not great. It forces (or at least incentivizes) a specific play-style. It makes DayZ no longer about making choices and more about shooting zombies. On that topic, read my sig.

[/quote']

that would be a good idea. if you went in negative humanity you should get a respawn timer. per 1000 negative humanity points you get an 30-60min !

pll are prolling sometimes in chat, " i have 12000 negative humanity, i am a real good shooter"

so these guys get that 6-12 hours. would be fair to pll playing it as a team !!

so if you killed a lot you have to respawn for long ;)

wouldn´t change the playstyle, but would stop pll playing DM !

greetz

Is there a difference between Penalty and Disadvantage? I think there is and that sounds like a penalty to me. The Disadvantage to survivors is that they're walking feed bags for those willing to murder them. There's no equal disadvantage to bandits.

Trick is to make it more challenging for players with "low humanity" (or just pking) without directly punishing them. A timer is punishment, no getting around that. And I'm no fan of punishing people for playing the game by not letting them play the game.

Here is my opinion on this: In a apocalyptic world of zombies, survivors would not run around killing each other. I don't think anyone would kill for a gun, or what was in someone's backpack, unless possibly in the most extreme circumstance such as a survivor dying of starvation. In any zombie movie, how often do survivors kill everyone they see? Hardly ever, they always group up. So what's the difference between Day-Z and what I'm describing? Fear. The world of Day-Z should be so dangerous and the zombies so difficult or at least in such abundance, that the player is scared of traveling and surviving alone. Even with the best weapon, the player should still feel the need to group up. I don't think the fix is in punishing the "death match" going on, but rather, creating a world that encourages grouping together. Let's have stronger, scarier, and more zombies. In my opinion, they could be slowed down a bit but in simply more numbers with better pathing. This would make the game not only more tactical but also more realistic. Let's not punish bandits, but instead, let the world around them punish them for sticking it out alone. In the end, it's all about the zombies. It's about how well they function, how dangerous they are to the player, and how many there are. This to me sounds like what our community wants. The "Z" in Day-Z does stand for Zombie right? ;)

I tend to like the idea of respawn timer (like 12hours), and make first 2 days of play with no respawn timer.

But rules should be equal for everyone, game should not be judging you by your choices and forcing you to play given play-style in the sandbox environment.

Even more I like the idea of having some sort of character training over time (faster run speed, sprint for longer, slower water/food level decrease etc), so there is a point in staying alive as long as possible.

I've started playing the mod ~2,5 weeks ago, have died to a tree first time 1 day ago. It took me like 2 hours to get almost all equal gear back. Next time I got killed by some guys on the NW airfield, it took me even less time to get my gear back. This mod, if anything, is too easy for a semi-experienced player. Im not afraid to die at all, and Im not afraid of Zed at all.

I do like the overall feeling of the game, but it does need to be:

a) a little bit harder (more Zeds :D)

b) death should matter

c) more co-op goals will be good

While I don't agree with a 12-24 hour respawn timer as a specific deterrent to PVP gameplay, I do agree with a 12-24 hour (or even 2-6 hour) respawn timer as a general deterrent to playing like an idiot and taking stupid risks with virtually no punishment (worst case scenario currently, you respawn back on the beach, almost immediately). This would also cut back on server loads I'd imagine, and would increase the amount of delicious player tears needed to sustain development.

The unfortunate side affect of this is that people dying from a bug or a hacker get fucked pretty hard.

Is there a difference between Penalty and Disadvantage? I think there is and that sounds like a penalty to me. The Disadvantage to survivors is that they're walking feed bags for those willing to murder them. There's no equal disadvantage to bandits.

Trick is to make it more challenging for players with "low humanity" (or just pking) without directly punishing them. A timer is punishment' date=' no getting around that. And I'm no fan of punishing people for playing the game by not letting them play the game.

[/quote']

The current disadvantage to survivors is that they have time invested in their characters. They want to keep their fancy gadgets, and those take time and effort to get. Bandits PKers just want to shoot things, so there is no time invested. You can immediately spawn and PK. By adding a timer (one singular set timer for all players regardless of how nice they are), PKers now risk their time (in this case they have to wait between spawns, bunchafun that is, eh?) if they want to attempt to kill someone. You can still attack people on sight, but if you screw up or pick the wrong fight, you have to go sit in time out.

Griefers can grief better, but have something to risk when they do. Survivors have more of a reason to stick together (with additional changes making everything harder, of course) and team up with randoms. Win-Win.

While I don't agree with a 12-24 hour respawn timer as a specific deterrent to PVP gameplay' date=' I do agree with a 12-24 hour (or even 2-6 hour) respawn timer as a general deterrent to playing like an idiot and taking stupid risks with virtually no punishment (worst case scenario currently, you respawn back on the beach, almost immediately). This would also cut back on server loads I'd imagine, and would increase the amount of delicious player tears needed to sustain development.

The unfortunate side affect of this is that people dying from a bug or a hacker get fucked pretty hard.

[/quote']

Hacking can get you fucked pretty hard as well. Rocket don't mess around with his permabans.

--- stuff ---

I like the idea about getting better the longer you're alive. Little things, like you run faster or see better at night or find better loot or _practical_survival_skill_here_ better.

It's have to be hours or days ingame though, so someone can't just sit offline for a month and become some kind of god.

1 hour respawn timer? 24 hour respawn timer? What the hell are you guys smoking? Get off this forum and focus on finishing that GED.

No, we are trying to get you whiners off the forums who apparently like run and gun.

Also, on the other hand, humanity could be put to a different use and sawntime stay universal.

Now 12 hrs means that you will be able to play when you wake up so to speak, while 24 hrs means that you will be able to play at a (probably) late hour, so you would actually have to wait one more night because people dont have all day to sit at the computer. 18-20 hrs would be the optimum.

[/quote']

that is the dumbest thing i have ever read on this forum - and there is plenty unfortunately.

So imagine you have the weekend to play, you boot your pc and start playing. Of course you start fresh and soon after you encounter another guy who, like it is common on newbie coast, opens fire on you. Now you are in negative humanity. Shit happens. Now you die trough a glitch/pvp/zed whatever and cant play the whole day - what a great game. i dont even know whats the point in even writing that little story now,

but i just had a brainfart and wanted you all to smell it.

Godamnit devs, i hope you dont read the forums too much, for the sake of your sanity

We need a 24 hours respawn: if you die you need to wait one whole day for another "life". It still so much far than having a single life (like in RL)' date=' but it would probably makes the situation better. First of all those CoD kids will go away.. because it's not the bandits that are ruining the game, it's about those brainless die-respawn-die-respawn chaps that are making it totally unrealistic.

[/quote']

As a new player this would be really frustrating. I was killed at least 5 times the first day before I could even get the controls down. There's a lot of people waiting on the coast between towns that pick off new players for a quick supply of bullets/food. I'd hate to spawn in the game for the first time, be killed within 10 minutes, then have to wait 24 hours before I could play again.

Institute a grace period for new players?

OR, even better, put up few TUTORIAL servers, that arent tied to data server and thus not save character stats, so you lose gear when quitting. We keep newbies at bay, until they are confident enough to start a true game.

OR' date=' even better, put up few TUTORIAL servers, that arent tied to data server and thus not save character stats, so you lose gear when quitting. We keep newbies at bay, until they are confident enough to start a true game.

[/quote']

This, excellent idea!

1 hour respawn timer? 24 hour respawn timer? What the hell are you guys smoking? Get off this forum and focus on finishing that GED.

No' date=' we are trying to get you whiners off the forums who apparently like run and gun.

Also, on the other hand, humanity could be put to a different use and sawntime stay universal.

Now 12 hrs means that you will be able to play when you wake up so to speak, while 24 hrs means that you will be able to play at a (probably) late hour, so you would actually have to wait one more night because people dont have all day to sit at the computer. 18-20 hrs would be the optimum.

[/quote']

Yes, I'm not a fan of a cool down timer but I have to ask... What does a 12-24hour cool down accomplish that a 5-10minute timer doesn't? Has the same "hold up buddy" effect without the "I just ruined my day off" aftertaste.

Yes' date=' I'm not a fan of a cool down timer but I have to ask... What does a 12-24hour cool down accomplish that a 5-10minute timer doesn't? Has the same "hold up buddy" effect without the "I just ruined my day off" aftertaste.

[/quote']

12-24 hr is way overboard. 5-10 min is way underboard (sp?). It's "guess I'll grab a drink". What's wrong with an hour? It's not too long, so survivors don't get boned as well, and it's long enough that anyone that mindlessly TKs will get tired of the hour spawn and be less likely to mindlessly TK. Maybe they'll be smart as they TK. That would be fun.

Would it be possible to make some sort of sanity loss thingy for the mass murderers? For example you'd be ok if you kill just a few people (1 to 4 or so). With more murders you'd start to go paranoid and "see/hear" things e.g. distant gunshot noices etc.

Because now it's like "lol killed ya hahahahaa" and the killers life goes on unchanged. You'd think that murdering someone would have some effect on brain level.

Not sure if someone suggested this kind of idea before and if someone did, nice idea!

My idea of mechanics:

- people start with less and more random stuff, ie. without gun at all, only with food, only with water, one has matches, other one has hatchet. Also, they start in more random locations, not only on beach - this makes idea of teaming up more logic if you encounter someone and you dont have gun or you just dont know what he has, if he has stuff worth looting

- less problematic communication - ie. direct chat working. I sometimes shot on sight or be engaged in shooting because I cannot communicate easily that I'm friendly. I would let bandit take some of my stuff if he let me go, even if shots were already fired. (this would be fixed in next Arma patch hopefully)

- radio item for long distance communication and removal of global chat. This way - (someone pointed it already) you will want to team up with someone just because you dont know anything about whats going on. You would like to ask him if he knows whats going on somewhere... but:

- more influence and more dynamic dangers - possibility to clear village from zombies and they dont respawn for some time, or they have to go back from other village. This way, when players have more influence on how the world looks like, they will use it and they will want to broadcast information about it, share about their success

well put... +1

Now 12 hrs means that you will be able to play when you wake up so to speak' date=' while 24 hrs means that you will be able to play at a (probably) late hour, so you would actually have to wait one more night because people dont have all day to sit at the computer. 18-20 hrs would be the optimum.

[/quote']

- Respawn only after 24 hours. With a grace period for the newbies: in example your first day you have infinite respawn' date=' but then you need to wait 24 hours when you die.

[/quote']

I am not however fond of the time restriction. It is all and well for those who can play whenever they feel like it. This game must be available for those who cannot play like 24/7 also.

If one only has like 3 hours one evening a week to play, one has to wait.. what.. a Week until next time if one is killed in the beginning of that evening. i.e shot by an a**hat who sits by the shoreline and kill off new-spawners

I know that a lot of you guys log an awful amount of hrs into this game, but not everyone can

nah not a good idea.

As I've said here and here - I won't quote them here due to their Tolstoyan nature - 24 hours is too long, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread. It could put you out of the game for 2 days.

Example: I can play DayZ from 19:00 to 22:00 each day. If I die at 21:00 with a 24 hour respawn time, I can then only play from 21:00 the next day and then it's almost not worth it. If there is a 12hr respawn time, I could play from 19:00.

I much prefer 12 hours.

I find it hard to believe that someone who can afford a computer good enough to play ArmA can only spare one evening a week. If you are playing this game to relax... you're going to have a bad time.

• I shoot on sight.
  • I'm a really annoying type of bandit. I go around with my friend all around the map murdering people. But we only kill people in self defence or for better equipment.

que?

Oh noes, this is the zombie apocalypse! We ought to work together or I'll kick you out of the server! Why on earth we should kill each other?

Yeah.

During the apocalypse people will work together for sure.

Yeah.

It goes as far as, "at gas station in Cherno, friendly?" and a group of strangers banding together to seeing that same group die 5 minutes later after some deathmatch stranger finds them through chat.

NEVER announce your position in chat. People that do that, deserve to be ruthlessly murdered. This game is harsh and unforgiving, deal with it.

Oh noes' date=' this is the zombie apocalypse! We ought to work together or I'll kick you out of the server! Why on earth we should kill each other?

Yeah.

Yeah.

[/quote']

lol.. U ACTUALLY use a movie as an argument??? :)

Oh noes' date=' this is the zombie apocalypse! We ought to work together or I'll kick you out of the server! Why on earth we should kill each other?

Yeah.

Yeah.

[/quote']

lol.. U ACTUALLY use a movie as an argument??? :)

It's pop culture, where zombies come from. Why I shouldn't? =D

i agree with this post. Zombies are not a real threat when you know the mod and know how to evade theirs. And bored people want a real threat like humans. I know in this game should have Bandits, but here everyone is a bandit. No way to make a group with people out of your real life friends (or clan friends)

I think the way is : People should understand the mod concept and try to be a bit more friendly in some cases.... and developers should work in some thing to make people need to cooperate to do or find something.

Thats the key :cool:

40 year old gamer here. I'm really digging the mod. I'm happy with the bandit skin removal but do think humanity or the lack thereof needs to account for something.

In terms of mechanics, how about nerfing bandit aim/gun jam or damage from the first few shots fired during an encounter?

For example, if I'm a friendly survivor with good humanity and I come across another player in a barn who has negative humanity, I still don't know whether his intentions are good or not.

Let's say he goes to shoot me in the back of the head after I've helped him out, how about his weapon gets jammed on first shot or his aim is slightly off or weapon is nerfed/degraded?

This would give the survivor a few precious seconds to react. "Oh, he tried to shoot me in the back of the head, I heard a click/jam" then the survivor can engage him or run, whatever.

Or the bandit's aim could be nerfed with the first few shots during an encounter which would also give the survivor a slight edge.

I think this is a realistic mechanic and could make for even more intense face offs. Did he just jam his weapon? He shot at me and missed! He winged me!

Slight variations like this based on humanity could work. Rocket? What do you think?

It's a pleasant thought, Shaggy, but I disagree. The whole point is that trusting is always risky, if you keep getting second chances, the game isn't worth playing.

Now, there are some interesting points in this topic.

The "zombies should be the problem" point:

Honestly, they are the problem. Mainly because they are way too buggy to predict. They should run slower and always straight at you (instad of running past you and teleporting back), but they should also be more dangerous once they get to you.

Players should stick together point:

No. People in a desperate environment need to use desperate methods sometimes, and that shouldn't be hindered. The whole risk business with trusting people is exactly what makes this mod so interesting.