Lady Kyrah

What's exactly the deal with bashurverse's server?

So far from what i gathered:

-They lock/pw their server sometimes.

-They dish out bans for stream sniping, or claim they do.

-They skim their server logs while they are playing.

Now i don't have anything against those guys, but on one side we have server admins complaining they can't ban whoever they want or administrate their server anyway they wish, and on the other side those guys give the feeling that they can do as they please.

Either that's blowhard talk or something is going on and i would like to know.

Is this server "privilegied" by the dev team? Are those peoples special and have the right to make rules as they go? unlike the rest of the server admins?

And if yes, why?

From what I've gathered... they are privelaged, yes.

Bashurverse had a streaming event that rocket took place in. So that's why... I suppose.

hah. and you thought this was communist russia no one is equal as long as one has teh powars!.

For a while, I thought that there was a certain nobility to the dev attempts to equalize the server community.

Unfortunately, every day there are three or four servers, that I can see, that are passworded with only a couple of players, or a small number, in attendance on that server. As I've not seen anyone mowing down people on real servers with gear or anything snazzy that their privations might have garnered, I don't worry about it too much.

But yeah, it's obvious that something is afoot and the "don't password" rule is rubbish, or only allowable for certain people.

L

Seems like everyone has to follow these "global rules" except the bashurverse server of course! What a joke.

A "whitelisting" system will fix these kinds of issues. While I understand this mod is still in very early development, hosting a decent dedicated server (i.e. not a shared VPS POS) isn't cheap, so asking the folks that pay for hardware to stand in line to play on it is not sustainable in the long-term.

A simple icon next to each server that uses a player whitelist in the server browser would prevent players from getting frustrated by being rejected from a server they are not authorized to access, and it would allow clans/communities to host the mod "legally" for their own members.

Our community has some pretty high-end hardware with which to host the game, but we're not a charity willing to foot the bill for public servers that our people have to wait until a public player drops off to use.

Unless I'm mistaken, it is my understanding that it is against the rules to password protect a server, or to kick public players to make room for your own members. If that is indeed the case (and those rules are actually enforced), then getting any sort of long-term community server support will be an uphill battle at best.

Keeping your server private for you and your buddies gives you an unfair advantage. As long as your server connects to the main DayZ database, suck it up and play with everyone else.

Personally I'd rather the mod have insufficient servers on which everyone has a level playing field than have a lot of servers but with bought advantages.

A "whitelisting" system will fix these kinds of issues. While I understand this mod is still in very early development' date=' hosting a decent dedicated server (i.e. not a shared VPS POS) isn't cheap, so asking the folks that pay for hardware to stand in line to play on it is not sustainable in the long-term.

A simple icon next to each server that uses a player whitelist in the server browser would prevent players from getting frustrated by being rejected from a server they are not authorized to access, and it would allow clans/communities to host the mod "legally" for their own members.

Our community has some pretty high-end hardware with which to host the game, but we're not a charity willing to foot the bill for public servers that our people have to wait until a public player drops off to use.

Unless I'm mistaken, it is my understanding that it is against the rules to password protect a server, or to kick public players to make room for your own members. If that is indeed the case (and those rules are actually enforced), then getting any sort of long-term community server support will be an uphill battle at best.

[/quote']

Those are the rules. I don't agree with the whole whitelist thing. Servers should be public, otherwise communities/clans will just farm up gear, go to a public server and slaughter those who haven't had that advantage.

The only way for what you say to work is if they change the persistence to be server based (so each server hosts its own database for their server(s)), or keep a global persistence and allow server owners to be able to run global persistence under their personal constraints.

The best solution for the community I'm in, is to have hidden slots on top of the 50 slots that are available. This is what I use to do with a TF2 server. The actual server would publically display 32/32, and those are the public slots.

Hidden however were another 5 slots for those on a list, so they could get in when the server was empty (this of course was only triggered when the server was full). This way the server didn't kick for a reserved slot, but it allowed them to join nonetheless. The other way of doing it (which is similar) is to open slots on top of the current available slots for certain individuals, if that's possible while a mission is running.

Not sure if those will work for Arma 2, or if it's possible to script it in on top without too much trouble, but that would be the preferable solution personally.

While connecting to the Dayz global database, no server should be allowed to password or filter out players.

From what I understand... Bashur's server has been used to test the game for role playing purposes. Bashur is a big role player apparently and I think rocket was curious to see how it would work. Maybe they're still experimenting on the server since the night of that event... but if they aren't then I agree that it should have been a one time thing and that he should resume following the rules that everyone else has to follow.

I wouldn't mind if my server didn't connect to the main database. Only because I would like to control who joins my server as to avoid hackers and cheaters. Also, maybe even go far as creating a non-bandit server and have a mass group of people who work together.

They also said they would ban for increasing gamma at night. Of course, only the people who admitted it would be banned.

And they said if they were shot at during night, they would know it was a stream sniper if the shooter had no NVGs. Nevermind the fact they were walking around with flashlights. Bashur claimed that it's nearly impossible to hit someone who has a flashlight out.

Lastly, a while ago Bashur said if anyone kills him, and then subsequently someone in his stream admits to stream sniping, then Bashur could get the player permabanned from DayZ (through his connections with Rocket). Some people pointed out that any time he dies, someone in the chat could falsely claim they stream sniped, and then an innocent player would get banned. His response was "I don't care."

I'm definitely avoiding his server. I do watch his stream though, hoping that he gets stream sniped so I can watch him rage.

They also said they would ban for increasing gamma at night. Of course' date=' only the people who admitted it would be banned.

And they said if they were shot at during night, they would know it was a stream sniper if the shooter had no NVGs. Nevermind the fact they were walking around with flashlights. Bashur claimed that it's nearly impossible to hit someone who has a flashlight out.

Lastly, a while ago Bashur said if anyone kills him, and then subsequently someone in his stream admits to stream sniping, then Bashur could get the player permabanned from DayZ (through his connections with Rocket). Some people pointed out that any time he dies, someone in the chat could falsely claim they stream sniped, and then an innocent player would get banned. His response was "I don't care."

I'm definitely avoiding his server. I do watch his stream though, hoping that he gets stream sniped so I can watch him rage.

[/quote']

Wtf? That's messed up. Didn't Rocket say that stream sniping is allowed and *not* bannable? Why is Bashur an exception to this? Also LOL @ the flashlight thing. I can spot someone with a flashlight from miles away... and although I'm not a bandit and don't kill people... I could easily kill someone far away with a flashlight on.

Anyways... I hope he's bluffing with the whole perma-banned from DayZ thing. If it's true it's really unfair to the rest of server owners and incredibly unfair to the actual players. Bashur should realize that he's publicly broadcasting his location to anyone and everyone. It's his fault if he gets stream sniped. Even if he's bluffing though he's acting like a tyrant with that behavior.

Gotta love it. what did you expect really?

were not allowed to do anything with servers. but if we know rocket its ok cos were buddies.

rediculous. I mean I could understand if it was a test server where actual dedicated playtesting/bug finding was being done or whatever but... private so they can stream themselves playing dayz in a controlled environment?

whats the point, dude gets shot while streaming, BAN.

I mean until a dev/mod steps in this is all just hearsay and rumour but methinks, its about time a dev gave those guys a bit of a talking to. taking liberties with server rules that no one else is allowed to do. just not on if you expect everyone else to do what you say.

Anyways... I hope he's bluffing with the whole perma-banned from DayZ thing. If it's true it's really unfair to the rest of server owners and incredibly unfair to the actual players. Bashur should realize that he's publicly broadcasting his location to anyone and everyone. It's his fault if he gets stream sniped. Even if he's bluffing though he's acting like a tyrant with that behavior.

Tyrant? Haha, more like "stubborn little kid". I'm sure Rocket isn't stupid enough to actually cave in to that childish tantrum shite.

They also said they would ban for increasing gamma at night. Of course' date=' only the people who admitted it would be banned.

[/quote']

So i did not mishear...

from what i have seen, it was passworded once and they were openly giving away the password, i don't really know why it was allowed. I watched some of the event, it was supposed to be some roleplaying thing where they save people and get a chopper, but after about 1.5 hours they were just killing everyone they saw. I joined the server wondering what the whole "roleplay" thing was about but it was just people yelling to the streamer in global to see there words on his stream.

from what i have seen' date=' it was passworded once and they were openly giving away the password, i don't really know why it was allowed. I watched some of the event, it was supposed to be some roleplaying thing where they save people and get a chopper, but after about 1.5 hours they were just killing everyone they saw. I joined the server wondering what the whole "roleplay" thing was about but it was just people yelling to the streamer in global to see there words on his stream.

[/quote']

Yeah, I've seen a few minutes of that stream. But what can you expect. Bashur is a Youtube let's player that rose to popularity by playing mostly Minecraft. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Minecraft or Bashur, but it sort of is an entirely different audience with a different,for a lack of a better word, style of play (gamer mindset?).

But yeah, about the servers and stuff: It's rocket's mod, he's the boss around here and I believe he'd make the right decision if sh*t would (hypothetically) hit the fan, in any way.