Sign in to follow this  
bigmanshawn

Server Standardization and Synchronization

Amazing mod, but a couple overwhelming issues I have found.

Server Standardization

Because users exist in a shared database accessed by all servers, any server using this database should be prohibited from being locked or private. This provides a serious advantage to players with access to the locked server in their ability to travel unmolested to popular areas and get equipment. They are then able to use this equipment on unlocked servers and terrorize the population.

I think they are also missing a major part of the game which is the unpredictable human element.

Server Synchronization

Understood that all servers are not necessarily in the exact same part of the day/night cycle, but anyone disconnecting and reconnecting (see JIPs) should be synched to the same time of day. Players are able to reconnect during dark hours in order to have sunlight, giving them an advantage over other players who have been connected for a while and are in actual night time.

There should also be some sort of mechanic in place to prevent players from server hopping in one location in order to farm items/kills. To many times you see people suddenly appear in the NW AF kill the people who had to fight their way there, then loot everything and disconnect to hop to another server.

My suggestion for this would be to use a no spawn zone around cities and military installations that will prevent people who were previously on another server from spawning with in them. Instead the player would be spawned in a random location around the edge of the no spawn zone. As well the no spawn zone should effect people who have been logged out for a period of time. This allows people with sincere network issues to get back in without loosing their position, but will majorly inhibit and curtail camping of items/locations and server farming.

EDIT: Forgot one. Rain, cloud and weather effects should also be synchronized as much as possible. One player seeing torrential rain vs one player with clear skies causes a pretty major imbalance.

I'd also like to add to this servers should all be set to VETERAN mode. This is a realistic survival experience, it's a tragedy when you hop on some servers (I'm looking at YOU NYC & US1,2) running lolcrosshairs call of doody turdperson

Looks like they have fixed the issue with time sync. I also noted something interesting in the FAQ that says that once the mod is in beta and release each server will have its own MYSQL database, which in theory should solve the majority of issues with people server hopping.