Izziee

How does the gun sounds work?

Lets say the gun has an audible range of 100m

If I'm at 99m does it sound quieter than if I were at 20m?

If I'm at 101m does the sound vanish completely?

Edit - to players.

Edited by Izziee

I think the audible range distance in the weapons list is only used for Zed aggro and don't reflect the actual distance at which a player stops hearing the sounds, but yeah they fade the farther you are from the gunshot. Players hear both the gunshot sound and the bullet breakign the sound barrier (the crack you additionally hear).

The actual distances can be tested in vanilla Arma 2. Just play a bit with a friend on a server you create, or jsut place some random npcs of differente factions on the editor, with you as a player at varying distances while they fight eachother.

You can actually hear the gunshots at a fairly far distance from the origin. Simply putting it.. Player will hear it much farther than Zeds will.

I would have to agree. the numbers you get from dayzdb and the wiki are basically aggro ranges for the Zeds. but to the players ears, some guns are actually quite quiet, like the winchester for example.

• Like 1

I think the audible range distance in the weapons list is only used for Zed aggro and don't reflect the actual distance at which a player stops hearing the sounds, but yeah they fade the farther you are from the gunshot. Players hear both the gunshot sound and the bullet breakign the sound barrier (the crack you additionally hear).

The actual distances can be tested in vanilla Arma 2. Just play a bit with a friend on a server you create, or jsut place some random npcs of differente factions on the editor, with you as a player at varying distances while they fight eachother.

You can actually hear the gunshots at a fairly far distance from the origin. Simply putting it.. Player will hear it much farther than Zeds will.

Yup, this is correct. The audible range on the charts are only for zeds. For example, an M14 or FN FAL with an audible range of 180m can be heard from atleast 300m in my experience.

I'm my experience the survivor audible range is 3-4 times that of the Zed range in those tables.

Also the Zeds will go to where they heard the shot fired from, not after you. Unless your still in the same spot.