Perrywinkle

Suggestion: Fortifications

We have all heard the rumors about the possibility of establishing settlements, and some people have put forth some really good ideas. What needs to be discussed is the system in which these fortifications exist.

We have several open buildings and locations that would be excellent to fortify:

Castles

Houses

Marts

Warehouses (Various)

Barn

Firehouse

Open Wilderness Camp (?)

etc. etc.

My idea for how these would be fortified:

-Various Materials (wood, metal, latches, nails, tools, etc.) would have to be acquired

-Within 10 minutes of starting to fortify, the "base" fortification would have to be complete (this would prevent piecemeal construction)

-This initial construction cost would be location dependant (Example: Wilderness being lowest, castle being Highest)

-A small anti-zombie spawn radius would be established (laughably small)

-ALL loot tables for that building would be disabled (Maybe surrounding buildings as well)

-Upon establishing the fort, you would be given some "bonus" supplies (you have completely scavenged the area). This would also be offset by loot tables being gone and would fit the building/loot area type.

These forts would be saved to a server, like tents. They would ONLY be saved to characters that ACTIVELY participate in the construction. When all of these characters die, regardless of how "upgraded" the fort is, the fort would disappear. The timer for disappearance could be the same as the tent - 2 days.

The amount of characters that you could save the fortification to would be dependent on the size of fort itself. For example, wilderness would be 2 (Takes 2 Materials) and house would be 4. Some of these locations may only be fortifiable IF you have a vehicle. In order to move those giant metal sheets, you may need a truck.

So, why would anyone want to build a fort? REST!

I think there should be a "Rest" system that comes with making a fort. If you were to log off in the fort location, you would get some offline benefits:

- Gain Temperature

- Gain Blood

- Slower Food/Water Loss

The amount of benefit would be dependent on the size/type of fortification. Wilderness Camp would barely provide any of these, but the Castle would be fairly comfy.

In order to prevent people just figuring out how to create multiple characters, the forts would only be able to have their maintenance done by the original saved characters. Sure, you could have a safety character... But he will eventually have to leave the nest as his teammates are picked off. The items needed to repair and create the fort may have to be made in “bind on character” items to prevent mule characters from circumventing the system.

There would also need to be some kind of “upgrade to civilization” ideal behind the forts. Any character can help with these upgrades, but would not be able to save to the fort. The stages of these upgrades would need to be vetted out, but as a fort is upgraded its “Rest” benefit could increase, as well as the anti-zombie spawn zone.

I think that fortifications are an important next step to this game, but they need to keep in with the harsh reality of the mod. As the original founders of a fort die, things start to fall apart and so should the fort.

The benefits to gameplay would be deeper Teamplay elements, Increased hope for survival, and the ability to raid people's safe-havens (as well as defend them).

I actually have a lot more to write, but this is long enough.

Does anyone think this is a stupid idea? How should the materials needed be approached? Should there be certain locations that you can ONLY find one material (only one town manufactured sheet metal)?

i agree with the coolest cat but it would be nice if there was a way to make a house/bunker like that

It just seems like there should be more to building fortifications and survival than "A simple 1m wooden wall section and a 2x2m open high tent". Otherwise, it would be just as worthwhile as just pitching a tent city.

A 2 meter high wooden log wall offers safety from rifle rounds, what's not to like?

I also aim for the solutions that can be implemented shortly, without ravaging the engine.