Razzle Dazzle

To all server admins

#1 private hives don't allow server jumping. private hives only keep your gear on that server. for instance if someone logs into your serer for the first time they have 10 pipe bombs and a g36k those are hacked weapons plain and simple. and its easily spotted in the database you can control that.

#2 We need a 3rd party application to monitor and keep our servers secure BE is useless. every time a new BE script is released its shown(viewable) to general online public hackers only have to look online and they find a workaround .

# Saying that all admins are abusive is like saying all Arabic/Black people are the same they call that stereotyping for a reason. Most if not all server admins just want to keep their players safe why is that so wrong that we want to lock servers be able to check logs properly and ban people when needed. don't we want more players to play? hence the reason a standalone is being made?

Admins aren't running the game its hackers everyone knows this we need to stop using admins as the excuse and focus on a way to protect what we PAY for without servers you have no MOD.

Edited by MovingShadow

Admins aren't running the game its hackers everyone knows this we need to stop using admins as the excuse and focus on a way to protect what we PAY for without servers you have no MOD.

I totally disagree, admins do not run the game, you're right, but we take a proactive stance against cheaters. Just a small time browsing this forum will tell you that. It's always been this way in the war on the cheats.

I play dayz at night and my server gets hacked during the day most of the time, Since the bullshit rules for the server i pay for says i cant password the server to keep asshole hackers out , I am shutting my server down till i am ready to play and can monitor my server for hackers. Hackers cant hack the server if it isnt up lol

I know this is a couple days late, but .... depending on the hours each day you need the server admin'ed for, I'd be happy to do it for you at an hourly rate. I admin my clan's server presently, and often have some extra time on my hands. PM if you're interested, we can talk rates, resume, etc ...

EDIT: Considering offering this to any servers as a service. I know a lot of servers have hack problems, and having a live admin on monitoring things can make a big difference.

Edited by lentWolf

but also saying that private hives are not the solution also says that admins and server owners are being abusive in that way.what it really boils down to is that our hand is being forced in order to save our community its the admins and server owners that are forced to come up with these type of solutions to make the game more safe not the other way around.

My issue isn't that I don't think the developers are doing nothing. I'm sure they are, they evidently understand this is an issue from what other admins and moderators on these forums have said. I don't see any reason why these people would lie.

The problem is that at every developmental turn, the admins have been castigated into virtual landlords without any control over their renters. While yes, we technically CAN ban hackers, we need a significant amount of evidence acquired in order to do this. At this current stage of development, it basically requires me to personally witness the event in question, screencap it or record it, and then ban the individual.

I don't have to tell anyone here how impossible of a task this is. The burden of evidence lies entirely on us, and we're basically at the mercy of the hackers in hopes that they screw up and hack openly and reveal themselves so we can know exactly who it is. On a crowded 30-40 man server, it can take quite a while to narrow down the list of potentials to the person who is actually doing the hacking - nevermind if he's using a battleye bypass.

And what if we admins are offline at the time of the alleged incident? The RPT file was a wealth of resource for an admin to be able to isolate cheating individuals, ban them, and collect sufficient evidence to substantiate the ban. Yes, individuals were able to abuse the file, but until an alternative is found that effectively gives admins the ability to fight back, why remove the only tool we have? Now we're left in a situation where we can do essentially nothing to stop the hacker threat at all.

I share Curgon's optimism that the development staff is working on the issue. I just feel that the server owners do deserve to hear the developers side of things from them - not from forum admins or moderators - so that we all get a better understanding of the development philosophy, what tools are going to be given to admins, and what the direction they're going with combatting these hackers. I don't need specifics, even the most general of posts would at least show that we're communicating. Given the fact that there's a litany of posts in Server General with people claiming they're shuttering their servers, venting frustration and ones that just outright spew profanity at the way we've been effectively neutered in the face of this ongoing problem, I think it only fair that we get some sort of dialogue going with the development team.

Curgon, why not nominate three of four server admins to have either a stream session or a teleconference where we could discuss the mod's direction for the admin side of the house? I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I REALLY want this mod to continue in a successful direction. Right now, a lot of us are very concerned and would like to have a real dialogue with the Dev team, that's all.

• Like 1

My issue isn't that I don't think the developers are doing nothing. I'm sure they are, they evidently understand this is an issue from what other admins and moderators on these forums have said. I don't see any reason why these people would lie.

The problem is that at every developmental turn, the admins have been castigated into virtual landlords without any control over their renters. While yes, we technically CAN ban hackers, we need a significant amount of evidence acquired in order to do this. At this current stage of development, it basically requires me to personally witness the event in question, screencap it or record it, and then ban the individual.

I don't have to tell anyone here how impossible of a task this is. The burden of evidence lies entirely on us, and we're basically at the mercy of the hackers in hopes that they screw up and hack openly and reveal themselves so we can know exactly who it is. On a crowded 30-40 man server, it can take quite a while to narrow down the list of potentials to the person who is actually doing the hacking - nevermind if he's using a battleye bypass.

And what if we admins are offline at the time of the alleged incident? The RPT file was a wealth of resource for an admin to be able to isolate cheating individuals, ban them, and collect sufficient evidence to substantiate the ban. Yes, individuals were able to abuse the file, but until an alternative is found that effectively gives admins the ability to fight back, why remove the only tool we have? Now we're left in a situation where we can do essentially nothing to stop the hacker threat at all.

I share Curgon's optimism that the development staff is working on the issue. I just feel that the server owners do deserve to hear the developers side of things from them - not from forum admins or moderators - so that we all get a better understanding of the development philosophy, what tools are going to be given to admins, and what the direction they're going with combatting these hackers. I don't need specifics, even the most general of posts would at least show that we're communicating. Given the fact that there's a litany of posts in Server General with people claiming they're shuttering their servers, venting frustration and ones that just outright spew profanity at the way we've been effectively neutered in the face of this ongoing problem, I think it only fair that we get some sort of dialogue going with the development team.

Curgon, why not nominate three of four server admins to have either a stream session or a teleconference where we could discuss the mod's direction for the admin side of the house? I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I REALLY want this mod to continue in a successful direction. Right now, a lot of us are very concerned and would like to have a real dialogue with the Dev team, that's all.

Brother Cerv, if I get a word or a hint of what the Devs are doing, so long as its nothing confidential, I'll post it always! I am a SA myself, I have to follow just the same rules as any one of you SHOULD be doing.

But I wont tolerate other SA's breaking Rocket's rules, period, if I have to abide by them, so do you, so let me get this out of the way, and repeat something I have always said regardint the certain SA's who fall into this category.

Yes, it is your server, but its not your Mod, and no way shape or form are you entitled to it. It was Rocket's gift to us all to have a awesome mod. When you bitch and whine about getting in trouble, for breaking a rule, that is something along the lines of a begger bitching over 20 dollars, when he think he is entitled to 100.

No one is or will be forcing you to run this mod, and trying to get people to shut down theirs, is honestly not going to happen, if you could only see the DAILY tickets inbound for new servers, honestly, you wont make a dent. So the self entitlement to this mod, needs to stop, yes, we need players on servers, and if you think the hacker issue is Rocket's fault, then your oblivious to a lot of stuff regarding Arma and BI.

If you want to throw a fit, because you are getting blacklisted, for breaking rules that YOU agreed to before getting your server in place and online, fine, throw a fit, cause the dedicated and patient SA's out there will keep their servers running and just bear with it.

Rocket made it for us, not for just YOU. If you dont like his rules, no one is forcing you to stay around, you close your one server, we approve 10.

So what am I saying here? Just this: Follow the rules.

• Like 1

Well, first of all, my server's NOT getting blacklisted. We 'have' followed the rules, mostly because the fear of being blacklisted is very real, even in the face of the hacking that we daily endure.

I just walked up onto yet another crate of weapons in the woods outside of one of our cities. I can't do a bloody thing about it aside from restarting the server - that's very frustrating.

I'm sure you're not speaking directly to me when you're saying things like people bitching and the like. I'm not bitching - I'm remarking about a situation and how I'm confused as to the direction the mod is going. That's not an unreasonable request, and it's not QQing. At every possible turn, I've been courteous and respectful, even in the face of people telling me to 'just stfu and go away' or other less than kind things. Telling people to 'just go ahead and leave, there's more where you came from' isn't solving any issues, it's just continuing the cycle of mistrust, anger, and entitlement that everyone in this argument seems to generate.

The people who are really here for the long haul, the guys who are running servers legitimately and REALLY want to make good things happen, we know that Rocket isn't some sort of sadist that delights in tormenting others by forcing them to be subjected to hacking nonsense. This is an engine, and ultimately, a Battleye problem that should have been addressed long before DayZ's inception.

But removing access to logs that were extremely helpful in tracking and eliminating hackers is counterproductive and, in my opinion, moving in the wrong direction. The expectations placed on admins is already much higher than most AAA titles ( you could literally get away with murder admin'ing a BF3 server ). To me, this is a good thing. It is an attempt to keep people honest, and I highly approve. However, unless the hive system is going to come under a server administration entirely run by the DayZ team, then admins should have the ability to police their own servers. Right now, we simply don't, and Battleye certainly isn't picking up the slack any better than they were months ago, contrary to their ticker messages that say otherwise. People are still getting thunderdomed, people are still spawning helicopters at will, and people are still teleporting around the map with a frequency that can only be described as mind boggling.

I do agree with you that people need to stop the chatter about shutting down their servers. If you're going to shut it down, just do it and be done with it. I'm here because I want to be here, and I want to try to be part of the solution, not the problem. Sometimes, being part of the solution means voicing an opinion that may run against the common grain. Doing it with decency, respect for one's dissenters, and an overall sense of community is what will generate discussion, rather than arguing.

• Like 2

I currently pay for my server and the only thing I do is 8 hour restarts on it, I don't play on it anymore I just let whoever wants to play on the server do so.

The reason I do this is because until there is more security in place the only thing that would happen if I banned someone who was not guilty of anything I would have a storm of hate I don't really need or want.

I find it to be less of a headache this way, as I have not seen any admin hatred on my server on this site at all I suppose it's working out well. I will continue to do it this way unless anything changes in the near future which would make being a server admin less of a target for hate.

Im fine running a server for the people who want to play DayZ to enjoy but I still hope they bring a stop to all the nonsense admins who play on their servers have to deal with almost daily.

If the MovingShadow here is the same MovingShadow on the Frizag Lingor server Shame on him. He spoke a good game in this thread about protecting players on his server. But his reality is VERY different from his statements.

From Moving Shadow's posts in this thread:

"# Saying that all admins are abusive is like saying all Arabic/Black people are the same they call that stereotyping for a reason. Most if not all server admins just want to keep their players safe why is that so wrong that we want to lock servers be able to check logs properly and ban people when needed. don't we want more players to play? hence the reason a standalone is being made?"

"No one is pointing fingers at anyone all we ask we be able to enforce/police our servers without being blacklisted for trying to keep our players on every single server safe."

Yesterday afternoon 7/18 3 players from my group, who had spent the better part of 15 hours each this week on the Frizag server picking up goods setting up a camp got 3 vehicles, Even had a helicopter for all of 5 minutes. I was on TeamSpeak with the guys at the time. These friends had a UAZ drove into the NE Island area and found some battacks. They had a firefight with [Frizag] MovingShadow and and other Frizag tagged player. They managed to kill both Frizag guys in the firefight. Not 2 minutes later [Frizag] MovingShadow is back on site with all his gear or at least his guns. My friends kill him again. He shows up even quicker again with all of his gear again, but this time one of the guys is standing watch and see him pop in about 50 yards out. (Make what you will of this, is the admin now teleporting?) See him come in again. They ambush and kill him a 3rd time. The server immediately shuts down. 15 minutes later it is up and all 3 guys are now "Banned for Teleport Hacking" They never left the spot, it was the Admin Magically popping up with all his previous gear 2x within two minutes. These guys just lost their gear and camp and everything they had worked for a collective 45 hours on the Frizag server. Last night ~8:30 PM EST I dropped into the server and typed in what had happened to warn other players so that they would not spend a lot of time there and get banned for something as simple as killing an admin. And I was immediately kicked banned for "Being Verbally Abusive to an Admin"

Yes, MovingShadow I don't know how old you are, but shame on you. Keep your private hive but people spend time on your server and lose their stuff and time in game due to your immaturity. All you had to do was ask them to fight elsewhere or negotiate something. They would have responded. But an asshat snot-faced bann for getting your nose cleaned by some better players than you really shows why DAYZ is where it is. Just password your server and keep the public out of it so you and your group won't have some angst when they get taken to the cleaners. Funny part was there was no action when myself and another 3 other players got killed by teleport hackers on Thurs 8/16 ~ 8:00 PM Numerous complaints, but no one was kicked.

I guess in some ways this attitude towards abusive admins is warranted because of people like this. But in my experience with this game. There is still a 50:1 ratios hackers to abusive admins.

Edited by mjrhzrd

Let's please keep this on topic, guys. We're not discussing individual players here, but rather the lack of control server admins have to police your servers. If you've got quarrels with other admins or players, please create or post in a different thread. Thank you.

Well, first of all, my server's NOT getting blacklisted. We 'have' followed the rules, mostly because the fear of being blacklisted is very real, even in the face of the hacking that we daily endure.

I just walked up onto yet another crate of weapons in the woods outside of one of our cities. I can't do a bloody thing about it aside from restarting the server - that's very frustrating.

I'm sure you're not speaking directly to me when you're saying things like people bitching and the like. I'm not bitching - I'm remarking about a situation and how I'm confused as to the direction the mod is going. That's not an unreasonable request, and it's not QQing. At every possible turn, I've been courteous and respectful, even in the face of people telling me to 'just stfu and go away' or other less than kind things. Telling people to 'just go ahead and leave, there's more where you came from' isn't solving any issues, it's just continuing the cycle of mistrust, anger, and entitlement that everyone in this argument seems to generate.

The people who are really here for the long haul, the guys who are running servers legitimately and REALLY want to make good things happen, we know that Rocket isn't some sort of sadist that delights in tormenting others by forcing them to be subjected to hacking nonsense. This is an engine, and ultimately, a Battleye problem that should have been addressed long before DayZ's inception.

But removing access to logs that were extremely helpful in tracking and eliminating hackers is counterproductive and, in my opinion, moving in the wrong direction. The expectations placed on admins is already much higher than most AAA titles ( you could literally get away with murder admin'ing a BF3 server ). To me, this is a good thing. It is an attempt to keep people honest, and I highly approve. However, unless the hive system is going to come under a server administration entirely run by the DayZ team, then admins should have the ability to police their own servers. Right now, we simply don't, and Battleye certainly isn't picking up the slack any better than they were months ago, contrary to their ticker messages that say otherwise. People are still getting thunderdomed, people are still spawning helicopters at will, and people are still teleporting around the map with a frequency that can only be described as mind boggling.

I do agree with you that people need to stop the chatter about shutting down their servers. If you're going to shut it down, just do it and be done with it. I'm here because I want to be here, and I want to try to be part of the solution, not the problem. Sometimes, being part of the solution means voicing an opinion that may run against the common grain. Doing it with decency, respect for one's dissenters, and an overall sense of community is what will generate discussion, rather than arguing.

Just had similar experience with the same server. went in there ended up killing winston in contest. friend contacted him got his shit for killing him. we drive around with car we find find 1 more.some asshat takes out our cars and we get him. then were driving around got 2 more kills in the vodnik and then someone jacks our car im still in gunner.i killed someone out in a field and insta banned. i try and msg admin winston over steam and no reply i add commment to steam group and he removes it. no explanation of why i and 2 other friends got banned. wtf is wrong with admins.