NinjaJake

MERGED: ammo, ammunition, .22LR etc.

I really love this idea' date=' honestly almost submitted it my self if I was busy tending my idea's ;)

I think to stream line it a bit, you could have Ammo Cans(for those who don't know what a ammo can is http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA094-1.html ) to store your ammo

and these ammo cans will take up 2 slots inv, and hold anywhere between 0 and 150 rounds/shells, and then you could just transfer them over.

You can refill Ammo cans, and empty magazines in to them. so if you kill a bandit, you can just empty his magazines in to them.

[/quote']

That sounds cool and all, but it makes far more sense to find ammo boxes. The ammo can is only realistic if you find it in, say, a military bunker, or camp. As for emptying magazines into the ammo can, that would also work with the ammo box I think, but it makes more sense to keep the loaded mags.

Excellent post. You only forgot to mention bunny killing .22lr.

This has already been suggested and I believe, but I'm not sure, it is being worked on. Modelling for ArmA is time consuming so it may be awhile before hunting rifles show up.

instead of scanning for threads use the search feature, there are many threads about weapons.

A lot of those weapons are parts of existing mods for ArmA2.

.22lr should't even headshot a zombie, why would you want it?

That sounds cool and all' date=' but it makes far more sense to find ammo boxes. The ammo can is only realistic if you find it in, say, a military bunker, or camp. As for emptying magazines into the ammo can, that would also work with the ammo box I think, but it makes more sense to keep the loaded mags.

[/quote']

Ammo boxes and ammo cans are the same thing lol. unless you mean like the .45 boxes that are in the game.

and you might not just beadle to keep as many loaded mags as possible, you need places for food wood water and what not

A thread that has been reborn a few times over, it has my full support to implement a mechanic that makes magazines rare but ammo types more common, so if you find a good gun you don't have it's usefulness run out after 1 zombie horde cause you have no more bullets in your clip and know finding a new clip is just as hard as finding the same gun again.

It would benefit additionally if you could remove bullets from a clip, so if you find one you don't need but it uses the same ammo type as your clip you could just switch them over.

A thread that has been reborn a few times over' date=' it has my full support to implement a mechanic that makes magazines rare but ammo types more common, so if you find a good gun you don't have it's usefulness run out after 1 zombie horde cause you have no more bullets in your clip and know finding a new clip is just as hard as finding the same gun again.

It would benefit additionally if you could remove bullets from a clip, so if you find one you don't need but it uses the same ammo type as your clip you could just switch them over.

[/quote']

Yeah, I think someone else mentioned that somewhere on here, but I completely agree, you should be able to empty mags into your box.

That sounds cool and all' date=' but it makes far more sense to find ammo boxes. The ammo can is only realistic if you find it in, say, a military bunker, or camp. As for emptying magazines into the ammo can, that would also work with the ammo box I think, but it makes more sense to keep the loaded mags.

[/quote']

Ammo boxes and ammo cans are the same thing lol. unless you mean like the .45 boxes that are in the game.

and you might not just beadle to keep as many loaded mags as possible, you need places for food wood water and what not

No, I meant like the little cardboard box that has a plastic thing inside with a bunch of slots for bullets, not like the can at all. Probably should have clarified.

A thread that has been reborn a few times over' date=' it has my full support to implement a mechanic that makes magazines rare but ammo types more common, so if you find a good gun you don't have it's usefulness run out after 1 zombie horde cause you have no more bullets in your clip and know finding a new clip is just as hard as finding the same gun again.

[/quote']

Yeah, I think someone else mentioned that somewhere on here, but I completely agree, you should be able to empty mags into your box.

[/quote']

No, I meant like the little cardboard box that has a plastic thing inside with a bunch of slots for bullets, not like the can at all. Probably should have clarified.

I assumed as much when i re-read. Still a good idea so you get my vote

Do the mods actually read these, or how does it work? Like what threads do they look at?

Do the mods actually read these' date=' or how does it work? Like what threads do they look at?

[/quote']

We look at threads that have been reported as inappropriate, those that grow quickly (a good indicator of a flame fest) and in our spare time, those with concise thread titles that haven't already been beat to death.

Here are tips on what makes a good thread in this forum:

http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1734

On topic imagine finding one of these at a base:

2205.gif

Might take up a ton of carry capacity since they aren't light but something like that would have to be worth it's weight in beans and M4s, I'm sure.

Yeah, I could see smaller boxes too. Bullets in a perfect mod could be exchanged like currency too. It's a good idea, especially re-loading magazines, etc. and the time it would take to do it would be a good balance. I'm hoping we eventually see many more zombies and more ammunition to deal with it.

Yeah' date=' I could see smaller boxes too. Bullets in a perfect mod could be exchanged like currency too. It's a good idea, especially re-loading magazines, etc. and the time it would take to do it would be a good balance. I'm hoping we eventually see many more zombies and more ammunition to deal with it.

[/quote']

I'm not so sure about trading, unless people started setting up trading posts and guarding it, as other people have discussed. But if that were to happen, it'd be pretty badass. There just needs to be something that keeps zombies from spawning in a city that is full of people.

Hunting shotgun suggestion: Tulsky Oruzheiny Zavod 34. TOZ-34 for short. Nice shotgun, and one I've used a ton in one of the fallout 3 overhaul mods.

Not even going to comment on .22lr's "Stoppan Powah" as shot placement beats the stopping power argument any day, but the .22lr would be fine to headshot zeds. SF have used the .22 for decades as a quick, quiet kill and I think would be a great addition to the mod. It would be a great use for quiet headshots on Zeds and could be less effectiveness against players.

You could think of it as more of a zombie disposal tool that balances because of it's less than effective use against players. If there were to be any weapon that would be the most likely .22lr weapon it would be the Ruger 10/22, as much as I would love a .22 AR or MP5 clone the Ruger is the most recognizable .22 rifle. I have some stock sound fx of the Ruger being loaded/unloaded, fired, the action worked, handling ect. So if you were to model that and submit it for possible inclusion in the mod I could help supply the sounds for it.

There are of course a ton of different stock options for the rifle but I think the most easily identifiable in game would be the carbine model which I believe is what is pictured here.

http://www.squidly.net/images/IMG_0163.JPG

The wood stocks may make it look too much like the winnie.

Agree I would love to see the Rugger 10/22 in this game. We where just talking about this on a different thread lol

Yup, weapons still need tweaks. The Ruger 10/22 ins't just what I would like to see in game, it's also my #1 pick for a survival weapon in any sort of real apocalypse/disaster scenario (especially if you can still find 30 round banana clips for it).

Not even going to comment on .22lr's "Stoppan Powah" as shot placement beats the stopping power argument any day' date=' but the .22lr would be fine to headshot zeds. SF have used the .22 for decades as a quick, quiet kill and I think would be a great addition to the mod. It would be a great use for quiet headshots on Zeds and could be less effectiveness against players.

You could think of it as more of a zombie disposal tool that balances because of it's less than effective use against players. If there were to be any weapon that would be the most likely .22lr weapon it would be the Ruger 10/22, as much as I would love a .22 AR or MP5 clone the Ruger is the most recognizable .22 rifle. I have some stock sound fx of the Ruger being loaded/unloaded, fired, the action worked, handling ect. So if you were to model that and submit it for possible inclusion in the mod I could help supply the sounds for it.

There are of course a ton of different stock options for the rifle but I think the most easily identifiable in game would be the carbine model which I believe is what is pictured here.

http://www.squidly.net/images/IMG_0163.JPG

The wood stocks may make it look too much like the winnie.

[/quote']

Not to mention having one of the most reliable high capacity mag for a rim-fire endorsed by the actual manufacturer. And maintain a decent zero after you break it down in half. Great plinker alright.

I agree' date=' some more 'civilian' looking and feeling weapons would be awesome. Its too easy to get a weapon that one-shots zombies (even though they are very loud which is a nice tradeoff). I am not a weapon buff but dont hunting weapons usually have smaller caliber than military weapons?

It doesnt make sense that anything else than a high caliber weapon (slug or 7.62) should be able to kill a zombie with a bodyshot. This would also make zombies more difficult to fight, which would be cool.

[/quote']

Wrong to an extent, Civilian sporting rifles are usually a higher caliber than military rifles. Common cartridges used by Nato are the 5.56 Nato and the .308. Even russia has changed their standard cartridge from the 7.62 Russian (7.62x39) to the 5.45x39. Chinese use a slightly larger 5.8 mm round. Chinese use to also use the 7.62x39 until their recent military modernization. Keep in mind that the 5.56 NATO(which is not a .223) is pretty much like a .22 LR. The bullet weight and diameter is almost similar, difference is powder charge and it's center-fire. Anyhow, the only people in the military who shoots calibers higher than the .308 (which mainly Designated "marksman" shoots) are snipers/special forces. For western, they turn to the 7mm mag, .300 win. mag, and now recently, .338 Lapua. Yes they use .50 BMG, but nowadays, with the growing popularity of the .338 caliber, they use that for anti personal. The .50 BMG is returning to it's root as a anti-material cartridge now.

Also keep in mind that those who have sporting rifles for african hunting shoots horrendously large cartridges like the .577 Nitro express, and this is one of the smaller one for african game hunting. This baby has more killing power than a .50 BMG. As a matter of fact, if you had a .50 BMG, some guides won't even take you on a hunt in Africa. For North America, hunters favor .308, 30-06, 7mm, 300 win. mag, etc., depends on what your hunting and really the experience of the hunter. Anyhow, I do not believe any of the .22 cartridges (5.45, 5.56, 5.8) really have much "killing power" but they do have stopping power. Shot placements matter, but most everyone are trained for body shots, not hs. Someone can still fight up to a minute taking a bullet to the heart.

Outside of Sporting rifles and for home defense, AR platforms are terrible choices. If you ever plan to buy one for the home, keep in mind that what you shoot will more than likely just go through the person you are shooting. And through the wall. And into someone else potentially. Pistol/shotgun is a better alternative I believe. Probably shotgun with home defense loads, many people can't shoot pistols for shit. But aside from that, Civilian AR home defense platforms are similar to the military use of cartridges...

A lot of those weapons are parts of existing mods for ArmA2.

.22lr should't even headshot a zombie' date=' why would you want it?

[/quote']

You don't think a .22lr will pierce a human skull and with the right load, make scrambled eggs of the interior? Guess again.

I posted about the Rugger 10/22, and I would love to see this gun.

But I would also like to see a 22 pistol. The .22 is such a useful survival round I think it would be nice to get both a long gun and a pistol Variant of it.