muniek85

Any point in not being murderer?

If you let your gun do the talking, you will usually live longer than if you try to be a hippy and spread the love... Just Sayin.

The game is more challenging if you take the same respect for life in the real world and apply it to the game.

Shooting people is fun, but it's not the same as challenging. In real life I run half-marathon+ distances every week. It's not fun.. it's challenging. Men like a challenge. It makes us stronger, better people.

When you kill someone in-game, you're killing somebody who like you, worked for hours to get to where they are. I think it says something about a person's psychology if they enjoy taking that away from someone, just because they can.

I respect people who'll sit in a bush in a ghillie and let a group of people walk right by them unseen. That's what real snipers do. That's fucking tense shit! A great feeling when they don't see you. It's not the only way to play the game of course, but it's challenging.

I like things to be challenging, to be hard, and not taking the easy way out. I like following a code of ethics, and trying to work within that. Killing is too easy. I don't expect everyone to think the same way, just like some people think I'm crazy when I tell them I did an 18 mile jog. However, I respect people more when they like a challenge.

• Like 4

IMO Bandits only kill because they cannot survive on their own, they are to stupid to understand that in a world populated by zombies you're supposed to stick to your own kind(mankind), not fight it. We survivors get the stuff and then a bandit try to take it by force... we spend hours trying to find something worthy and they just kill for fun. I say it's not fun because when in a game like this you got one life, you kill that person all his effort are wasted. You don't need to be an asshole. The "It's only a game" explanation never ever apply, it's only mere and simple phrase for the less brainy individuals.

But all this risky stuff sure brings some adrenaline and paranoia which can be bit dangerous depending on the situation. It makes the game bit more fun to be wary about your surrounding, still it would be better if there was certain factions so you can easier identify an enemy. For now anyone can be a killer without you knowing it. Maybe this is a part of the charm, but factions would be better.

Edited by zin
  • Like 2

IMO Bandits only kill because they cannot survive on their own, they are to stupid to understand that in a world populated by zombies you're supposed to stick to your own kind(mankind), not fight it. We survivors get the stuff and then a bandit try to take it by force... we spend hours trying to find something worthy and they just kill for fun. I say it's not fun because when in a game like this you got one life, you kill that person all his effort are wasted. You don't need to be an asshole. The "It's only a game" explanation never ever apply, it's only mere and simple phrase for the less brainy individuals.

I don't think it's necessarily that they 'cannot survive' exactly. More like it can be quite a bit easier to kill someone and take their stuff. That's part of the game.

But all this risky stuff sure brings some adrenaline and paranoia which can be bit dangerous depending on the situation. It makes the game bit more fun to be wary about your surrounding, still it would be better if there was certain factions so you can easier identify an enemy. For now anyone can be a killer without you knowing it. Maybe this is a part of the charm, but factions would be better.

I personally really enjoy the fact that you've got a bunch of armed people walking around with no restrictions on them. Until you get to know the person, it makes things extremely tense. I'd like to see fewer trigger happy people as well, but I don't like the idea of having artificial factions. Skins for people to organize around would be great, but you should still be able to shoot anyone.

• Like 1

I don't think it's necessarily that they 'cannot survive' exactly. More like it can be quite a bit easier to kill someone and take their stuff. That's part of the game.

The more people you get the easier it becomes to get all good equipment, so in term of groups I'd say a group with decent equipment will more likely kill another group just to test their strengh or for the thrill then in order to get their equipment, which in that case is more of a bonus or trophy.

Skins for people to organize around would be great, but you should still be able to shoot anyone.

You actually can organize using skins. When you create your character in the ARMA main menu you can also select a face. Unless your wearing a ghillie suit it can also be seen in dayz. Me and a group of players actually tried to organize using the William W. face. It however was to easy to see when laying in cover so we're currently pending between different camoed ones.

Btw, these will also camopaint your hands which will improve your hiding abilities when wearing a ghillie a tiny bit.

I killed one person who didn't shoot at me first but I watched him shoot someone an chase a second guy into a building. I snuck out and shot him in the head told the guy inside the house he was safe and I was friendly but kept my distance. He tried to kill me with an axe so I shot him.

I find fun in the game by being stealthy trying to avoid people and move undetected. Anyone I do run into I keep my distance and have the mindset that they could turn in me. It has kept me alive and out of trouble sure there were a few close calls interacting with someone but that's part of the fun.

I have run into friendly people who have run into a town with me to get supplies and when we get back to the tree line we say good luck and part ways and I have had the same situation where they shoot me in the face.

• Like 1

In 2 months of playing I have only killed one person, and that was a bandit who had just shot one of my squad mates in the back, like a coward. I made sure I shot him right between the eyes.

The longest I have survived is 20 days. If you can't survive without murdering people and taking what they have worked for, you don't really deserve to survive. You probably never live long anyway.

When the next patch comes out, bandit skins will be making a come back and other things like dogs and tracking will be introduced.

Murderers are about to be ruthlessly and relentlessly hunted and killed without mercy. You guys are gonna start to see why being killed repeatedly is so frustrating, but you all have it coming.

Things are about to change big style. ;)

Edited by soapmak3r
  • Like 3

I won't kill except in self defense.

Have met others at night when we were the only two or three on the server and we teamed up, I traded ammo for beans. What are the odds of the only three players on the map meeting in the same barn at the same time?

They never talked back to me but we commo'd through direct channel and worked together.

I'd rather kill infected and work together. That is the REAL challenge.

I generally feel bad when I kill a player, and exhilirated when it is in self defense.

That said my most memorable times have been helping or teaming up with strangers... I wish those moments where more often, but I've had some fun in shoot outs and running from an unseen sniper (hiding under a bridge for minutes while bullets whizz by...)

I have, actually. You specifically said "how is being an ass in the game different from being an ass in real life?", and I gave you a pretty specific answer: due to the fact that you are anonymous, and also because being an ass doesn't have any serious or permanent repercussions. So to make that easier to understand, it is VERY different. So no, just because you are a bandit who kills everybody on sight doesn't mean you're a similar kind of jerk in real life. If that were the case, me and my friends wouldn't be compatible with our social environments at all, and I would assume the same for many others who play as pure bandits.

Regarding your comment about how the internet is "real communication", yes it is. But as long as the other party doesn't actually know you in person, it is quite easy to fabricate any information about yourself as well as your own personality and actions. It becomes easier to dissociate yourself from others you don't know personally since you also realize this possibility on their end. The method of communication is indeed real, but it's silly to think that social interaction could match a level of actually meeting somebody face-to-face and establishing some sort of relationship (whether it is positive or negative). Again, the point is the same as the one I made for Day Z; on the internet, you're just an unfamiliar entity behind a computer, and in the end you can cut without a worry in the world in comparison to your actual reputation and standing outside.

I won't comment on your argument against the deathmatch, since that's not the point I was making or addressing- it was the behavior behind it I was addressing.

So in short, yes, I have red your previous comment and have made some counterpoints to it. I hope it's easier for you to understand in this post.

Anonymity doesn't turn people into Asshats. The asshatness/asshattery needs to be present in the first place.

I would think anonymity increases the character traits that are already there. The wiki you link to seems to suggest that.

• Like 1

I would say that the game magnifies personality traits that are already there.

Adversity reveals character.

It is a game and not a real life, so people conscious doesnt count in this case. Is there any system that actually rewards people for not being notorious murderers?

How about that nice fuzzy feeling you get from not being a dick.

If I see a player so much as point a hatchet in my direction without announcing themselves first, I will drop them.

I will usually always go with instinct. If my gut tells me something isn't right, I drop them. It's kept me alive longer than when I first started playing.

This thread reminds me a lot of playing on PVP servers in WoW

Sometimes you help a newbie out and they thank you. Sometimes they pretend to thank you just to buy enough time for their friend to come molest you.

It's a game of chance and how you feel like playing the game.

I tell you one thing. I've been murdered so many times and lost so much good stuff that I'm pretty twitchy now. I've only played the game for like 2 days now and am already in the "shoot first ask questions never" mentality. I've got a 16 item backpack, several canteens, lots of cooked meat, blood bags, and a tent.

There's a difference between someone who kills freshly spawned players on the beach for fun and someone who just wants to protect his loot. There's a lot of people out there who would see the backpack I'm carrying and use that as enough justification to put a bullet through my brain. Never underestimate the power of human greed and never trust anyone even those you know IRL. Otherwise you'll end up on the beach as a new spawn sooner rather than later.

Generally I would of thought relying on being a bandit is not an efficient way to survive. New players spawn with nothing worth taking, and once you have a water bottle, a hatchet and martches you don't really have to worry about food or water. So killing people really comes down to the excitement of just wanting to get kills. But if you want to survive, explore etc, then being a murderer might not be idea, just take a stray bullet to the head, or your target having back up, or even a like minded person murderering you and you have to start all over again. And as a murderer it might be a bit harder to convince someone to help you out later one. However being a team player with a trusted group and even dying might not be all that bad, as your companions could drive by, pick you up and help you get fitted up again.

• Like 1

It is a game and not a real life, so people conscious doesnt count in this case. Is there any system that actually rewards people for not being notorious murderers?

Yeah, self esteem.

In 2 months of playing I have only killed one person, and that was a bandit who had just shot one of my squad mates in the back, like a coward. I made sure I shot him right between the eyes.

The longest I have survived is 20 days. If you can't survive without murdering people and taking what they have worked for, you don't really deserve to survive. You probably never live long anyway.

When the next patch comes out, bandit skins will be making a come back and other things like dogs and tracking will be introduced.

Murderers are about to be ruthlessly and relentlessly hunted and killed without mercy. You guys are gonna start to see why being killed repeatedly is so frustrating, but you all have it coming.

Things are about to change big style. ;)

I'm torn. I disagree with bandit skins coming back, since it kind of messes with the realism a bit. It's not like real murderers have a particular "look". However, this will mean murderers are easy to identify and kill which overall will be an improvement. A player today told me he was only sniping in Elektro because he wanted to kill bandits. I asked him for his stats. 12 murders. 1 bandit kill. Suuure.

While I'm all for PVP in this game, and the element of stark terror it can imbue, my first experience in this game was being shot in the face spawning on the beach the first five times I logged into a server. There's a difference between being a bandit and playing with intent to survive, and being an asshole. I've never encountered a friendly stranger, and I'm largely beginning to suspect that the group of people here posting about friendly encounters are the vast minority. Having played Arma 2 and being delighted by it, I wanted a different play experience, and have been "rewarded" with more sniper teams than I can shake a stick at (inland, away from coast, and to their (Dis)credit, I mostly get shot crawling out of barns armed with a hatchet) and a few idiot zombies.

I had kind of hoped that this game would be about survival against starvation, thirst, Zeds and the occasional bandit, but I'm sadly coming to realize that it's more about PVP with some poorly pathed zombies in the way. It strikes me that a reward/punishment system for being a Bandit/Survivor would be nice, perhaps with different benefits from choosing a particular path. Too much to hope for?

A player's video game actions does NOT define the person behind the screen.

I disagree completely. If you are gonna be an asshole in an online multiplayer game, you are, in fact, an asshole. Asshole is a state of mind that motivates asshole-ish actions, it really doesn't matter where those actions took place.

People seem to be under the illusion that they can get on like complete fuckwits and it ok, because it is the internet...The fact is, if you get on like an asshole online, you are still an asshole.

You are just a weak minded, cowardly asshole that only lets your inner asshole come out to play when you think there is no recourse and no consequences to your actions.

You are the worst kind of assholes.

• Like 7

Is there any system that actually rewards people for not being notorious murderers?

Yes, the buddy system. When his friend you didn't see kills you immediately in response, how rewarded do you feel?

Players will stop the wanton murdering if people stop being easy targets.

I disagree completely. If you are gonna be an asshole in an online multiplayer game, you are, in fact, an asshole. Asshole is a state of mind that motivates asshole-ish actions, it really doesn't matter where those actions took place.

People seem to be under the illusion that they can get on like complete fuckwits and it ok, because it is the internet...The fact is, if you get on like an asshole online, you are still an asshole.

You are just a weak minded, cowardly asshole that only lets your inner asshole come out to play when you think there is no recourse and no consequences to your actions.

You are the worst kind of assholes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect

I'd certainly agree that it's not a good thing to take advantage of internet anonymity and act like an ass, but it definitely doesn't mean an asshole on the internet is an asshole face-to-face. If you read all of the different concepts under the Online Disinhibition Effect (Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory), it becomes a little easier to understand why and how some trolls act the way they do.

Jack Thompson is a fairly prominent advocate of believing in-game behavior is directly tied with behavior in real life situations, and look how well he turned out :P.

The point is surviving is the harder of the two gameplay styles. It's the nobler path and naturally involves a lot more heartbreak. Every time I get killed I get frustrated and angry. I spawn back in with an attitude of, "Fuck it. I'm runnin' into Cherno and I'm just gonna shoot every mfer I see." But then I get there and I hear some poor noob getting eaten by zombies and I can't help myself. "Where are you, dude? I'll come save you!" I text in direct chat.

It's a fun challenge trying to not let the relentless pvp get to you.

Surviving is easier if you're a bandit than if you're a survivor. Partly because guns guns kill so quickly at close range.

If two equally-outfitted and matched players meet in close quarters and one is a bandit...

1. Bandit sees other bandit first. Shoots. Gets other bandit's loot.
  2. Other bandit sees bandit first. Bandit gets shot. Loses all their loot.
  3. Bandit sees Survivor first. Shoots. Gets survivor's loot.
  4. Survivor sees other Bandit first. Bandit shoots first because survivors don't shoot first. Gets survivor's loot.

If a survivor meets another equally-equipped and matched player in close quarters...

1. Survivor sees other bandit first. Bandit shoots. Survivor dies.
  2. Bandit sees survivor first. Bandit shoots. Survivor dies.
  3. Survivor sees other survivor first. Survivor survives. No one gets extra loot.
  4. Other survivor sees survivor first. Survivor survives. No one gets extra loot.

So if you play as a bandit, one in four possible encounters are death, three in four are extra loot. If you play as a survivor, half of your encounters end in death, none of them end in loot.

Playing as a bandit is the easiest way to play the game. So if you're asking if there is any stone-cold logical reason to not be a murderer, the answer is no. You can't even get a reputation as a murderer in this game because you can just change your name and your skin whenever you want making it impossible for anyone to ever recognize you for any action you've taken in the game.

On the other hand, there is a sense of satisfaction in knowing that you're a hard-ass motherfucker willing to take risks for the greater good. So there's that...if you're into that sort of thing.

http://en.wikipedia....hibition_effect

I'd certainly agree that it's not a good thing to take advantage of internet anonymity and act like an ass, but it definitely doesn't mean an asshole on the internet is an asshole face-to-face.

So they are too cowardly to do it to your face, so they do it behind your back, or on the net, or whatever...In my mind that's worse than face to face. It shows how cowardly they are. Repressed individuals.

It is a bit like someone who only steals when there is no one around and they know that they won't get caught...No one caught them, so they aren't branded a thief, so by your logic, they are not a thief. It's a vain attempt at rationalisation.

I know assholes in real life and they are still likeable because they aren't afraid to be an asshole to your face. They don't try to hide it and they are generally not malicious.

The worst, most malicious assholes are the ones you will encounter online, because that horrible little coward inside them gets to lash out in full swing.

Edited by soapmak3r