hassman

How do you fight against an L85 thermal?

(sorry if this is a bad post i have just come back from a 9 hour night shift and i have been pondering about it the whole time)

Yesterday we were meeting some friends near green mountain me and my cousin was in Vigor and we just found him a ghillie suit we both had one.

(Enter sad loot lost)

I had a m24 a M14 CCO SD satchel charge's bear trap flares night vision and some other things.

My cousin had m16 ACOG and a M14 CCO we were coming down from the airfield as we were looking for some night vision goggles.

It was about midday. we were heading south to Green mountain we usually crouch walk if we are in a forest or go prone when we were on a field. As there are not many fields to the south of Vigor we were crawling through the fields. My cousin was ahead of me at the time i was under a bush, i suddenly heard an AS50 and my cousin hit the floor. I lied still hoping some sign of the player, luckily i saw an aggro zombie run to the player, at the time i thought it was a m249 was shooting as it sounded low caliber however it was being fired in burst's. I am not sure what m249 sounds like in the distance but from my general knowledge from Arma2 is sounded like a m249 however i do not know what a l85 sounds like, (could someone post a link of how weapons sound from another player hearing it that would be swell, I seem i cannot find it.) At this time i was scared he might not be alone and there could of been an l85 but i don't no i didn't even get to see him/them.

So i am under the bush my cousin was telling me to either wait and see or just disconnect, i guess curiosity killed the cat. I did think the only way for the person to see us was a few things;

1; he could of deleted the grass (i have heard this is a common thing these days)

2: he had thermal

3: he was very fucking lucky to see me

I was on the high ground with a slight ditch in front of me. The gun sounded like it came from 100 - 200 meters from our position and i knew the general direction. I got my m24 out and scoped everything for about 10 minutes, keeping an eye of my fallen comrade's body as well and checking my flanks. (Sorry this is such a badly structured post) I saw the zombie run to the guy and heard burst gun shots, i got my m14 out and crawled REALLY slowly to the hill probably the only thing that was stopping his thermal getting me at the time i was crawling around the really thick grass to trying and not to make a bad disturbance. I look in 3rd person as there was a load of grass in my way, and that was when i died. I could not hear his gunshots after the first shot i was in shock and them i died. However the logical explanation was that he had an L85 with thermal.

There are a few questions about the l85 thermal can you see players through bush's because there was a few were the player shot me through i was not in the bush i was safely behind them.

Anyway it wasn't all of a loss we were not the only one's a half an hour later we went back to that position and we found around 10 bodies with ALL there loot i couldn't find ours were i forgot were i died. We both have GPS and night vision so i guess we are ok with that as we don't have a camp we just live of the land.

If's and buts

If i threw some road flares even in day would this be the only counter measure against the l85 the only reason's this is bad as it can give away your position.

So are there any other way's apart from D/C or run from these bandits with thermal because to be honest the only way to kill a bandit with thermal is to have a thermal and i have never been that lucky yet. ^^d

Thanks for reading.

hassman

Edited by hassman

there is no counter, i've got one you can pretty much see anything within 1,5km

thinking about hiding behind a bush? think again its pretty easy to spot when a player is behind bushes

it is the most retarded item in the game but as long as its there i will use it, and you will not enjoy it

also ilold at road flares, they don't do shit but provide u a false sense of protection, guess what i can see perfectly with them even if i drop one straight in front of me

Edited by unknownuser

You run very fast the opposite direction and then hide untill he passes by and rape him in the back ?:)

there is no counter, i've got one you can pretty much see anything within 1,5km

thinking about hiding behind a bush? think again its pretty easy to spot when a player is behind bushes

it is the most retarded item in the game but as long as its there i will use it, and you will not enjoy it

also ilold at road flares, they don't do shit but provide u a false sense of protection, guess what i can see perfectly with them even if i drop one straight in front of me

Crap. there has to be something to counter this like a skin that doesn't give out thermal? I am not sure.

You run very fast the opposite direction and then hide untill he passes by and rape him in the back ? :)

the full auto option pretty much fixes that, your free to hop on nl20 and try to outrun my bullets, i'm near stary sobor ill let you know when i see you

About one month ago a group of two players were attempting to steal the vehicles from my group's camp. As one dude was driving out I shot him in the driver's seat and hid down in some brush, with the car they wanted to steal in an exposed position on the side of a hill.

I knew they had come here for our cars so obviously the other guy would be coming to drive it away and/or avenge his buddy's death. And so I waited.

About five minutes later he skylines himself on the top of the hill, walking toward the car I shot his buddy out of. With my M4A3 CCO I shot him until he dropped. I walk over to his body and he had an L85 AWS.

As with anything else in this game, patience and misdirection can go a very long way.

If you hide behind a tree your heat sig vanishes and well the bullets can't hit you.

Also if you change your sprint key (W*2) to something else you can sprint circles around them and they can't hit you for anything.

If anything the gun is good for taking out helicopters and spotting it's not a very good gun for killing.

Why do people insist on being stupid enough to admit they combat D/C, or were about to. Itrs not part of the game and shows your inner coward, even on a video game. Heres how you deal with an L85 AWS.

Put tree's between you and your attackers. Thermal can not see past even one leaf on a tree. Use it to your advantage. Lay down cover fire while your friend flanks (grenades are also useful, as when the L85 is panicing or moving, he can not see you). Once you and your friend are in position put him out of his misery. Job done. Now your the guy with the L85. As for grass, it is client side and only rendered 50 feet in front of you. Dont be foolish enough to think your hidden in grass when your target is 100 feet away, He will see you clear as day with no grass.

• Like 6

About one month ago a group of two players were attempting to steal the vehicles from my group's camp. As one dude was driving out I shot him in the driver's seat and hid down in some brush, with the car they wanted to steal in an exposed position on the side of a hill.

I knew they had come here for our cars so obviously the other guy would be coming to drive it away and/or avenge his buddy's death. And so I waited.

About five minutes later he skylines himself on the top of the hill, walking toward the car I shot his buddy out of. With my M4A3 CCO I shot him until he dropped. I walk over to his body and he had an L85 AWS.

As with anything else in this game, patience and misdirection can go a very long way.

Tell that to the other 10 bodies there. This guy was good and very patient. He didn't even loot the bodies he was just killing. I was in a very bad position at the start i felt very open and very naked. I worked with what i had unfortunately i just didn't have the right information.

Why do people insist on being stupid enough to admit they combat D/C, or were about to. Itrs not part of the game and shows your inner coward, even on a video game. Heres how you deal with an L85 AWS.

Put tree's between you and your attackers. Thermal can not see past even one leaf on a tree. Use it to your advantage. Lay down cover fire while your friend flanks (grenades are also useful, as when the L85 is panicing or moving, he can not see you). Once you and your friend are in position put him out of his misery. Job done. Now your the guy with the L85. As for grass, it is client side and only rendered 50 feet in front of you. Dont be foolish enough to think your hidden in grass when your target is 100 feet away, He will see you clear as day with no grass.

That's really good thanks, i had no idea grass rendered after 50 feet, but it makes sense. The only thing i was on my own and i did check but the only tree line near me was were he was.

Edited by hassman

I'm telling you, since you asked:

are there any other way's apart from D/C or run from these bandits with thermal

I lost sympathy for the OP at "airfield" and "midday." IMO you should only hit the NWAF at night. The zombies are almost completely blinded and players have a much harder time spotting you by moonlight. They don't need thermal or cheats to kill you. Teams of snipers with spotters can easily locate and kill anything that moves.

Here shots fired? Move your ass away or get to fighting, L85 or any other weapon and the same applies.

myth: superior firepower is always the victor.

Reality: tactically superior thinking is always the victor. He can have a heat seeking god gun that can smell fear from 10 km off.. but if you can outwit him you can win.

Also thermals cannot see through glass windows :P just sayin

• Like 1

So overall the only way you can defeat an L85 Thermal is that you either rush that player or wait and get lucky near trees?

Edited by hassman

if you're near zeds, toss a smoke grenade at them

Throw road flares in front of you then retreat to a safe position. Find a tree or building that you can view your target safely from. He will be distracted for long enough with the flares to get you to a better posi. Did you ever listen in school??? (thermal is in direct relation to heat) Throw another heat source around to distract the bandit...

Speed is how you deal with that kind of weapon, you run and zig-zag to bring him out of his hiding place then your teamate should be taking aim or you reposition while you know his position and fire back.

Out shoot him since the L85 has terrible accuracy.

Thermal doesn't work behind glass, and buildings, but that's about it. In the cities you can use cover, but if you're in the open country you really have very little hope. If he's a good shot he'll take you out before you know his location. If you figure out where he is, then Zig Zag could work, especially if you bring zombies with you. If you're close he'll run. If he has buddies, you're dead.

When they fix the duping the L85 thermal will be so rare, and fall only into the hands of good clans, so you won't ever have to worry about it really. Make sure to remind ever person you see using an L85 that unless they found it themselves at a heli site, then 99% chance it's an illegitimate dupe or hack. They probably won't care but i get the feeling the developers are tracking these guns and making lists, checking them twice. By Christmas time - who knows....

You do not go to NW airfield without atleast 1 thermal. Unless the server has like 1 player or something.

You do not go to NW airfield without atleast 1 thermal. Unless the server has like 1 player or something.

There were around 12 people on the server by the time we got to vigor there were 40/40.

Can someone post a video of weapons heard by another person so you can identify what weapon they are by just hearing it. That can be extremely helpful.

Edited by hassman