Sign in to follow this  
rmnesbitt@gmail.com

Tents, A Man's Best Friend (In A Zombiepocalypse)

Personally, the idea of having a tent in the game to store your things is an amazing idea. However, with the map size being so small and the average players per day per server, it is nearly impossible to keep anything more than a few weeks. In a real life situation one would "sleep" in your tent (assuming you have room in their). I would suggest adding a player action (on the scroll menu) that allows one to "sleep" in their tent. This would allow the player to log out with their tent and their gear would be safe. For instance, in a real life situation you may come across a tent in the woods. If you go to loot it you may or may not find someone sleeping inside. This person would then have the option to defend themselves or run screaming (fight or flight). With the current model in game, there is no way to protect our assets of any fashion other than finding "glitchy" ways to hide our tents in hopes nobody finds them. I suggest something like this.

Player places tent. Player puts gear in their tent. Player leaves room for their body (say 15 spaces?). Player sleeps in tent. Tent and player log off. Tent and player are safe from looters.

The player would have to return to their tent in order to log out and keep it safe. While the player is playing and is away from the tent it is NOT safe and other players can stumble upon it and loot it. If someone was to log out of the server while in combat, they would have abandoned their tent leaving it vulnerable. He would have to log back into the server, run to their tent, and then sleep in it.

TLDR: Tents should have an option to "sleep" in them. This would protect the tent from being looted while the player is off. The player would have to be at their tent in order to "sleep". This would punish the people who combat log as they would leave their tents vulnerable.

• Like 10

I hate getting looted. I do wish there was a way to make it so people couldn't get your stuff, but it's impossible unless you get snipers to take duties over night and day to watch your camp..

• Like 1

Even if you do have the ability to sleep in your tent, chances are if someone finds it they booby trap it so when you log back in you die or just camp the tent until someone logs in

I rather see that they take away both tents and the abillity to stash things in cars and trucks, because i think this is a mainreason why the game is only for pvp and not for surivor. its too easy to get full gear aver death if you got a tent with guns and food. theres no bigger problem when you die. It´s no problem to survive either. thats why you only can play this game in one way. like a bandit because there´s no other challenge. thats my point of view anyway ^^

• Like 3

There's easy mode...and then there's easy mode. And between the two is a very fine line.

Tents....a mans death sentence if near one. And yeah, if its a zombie apocalypse, I dont know you, and you have so much stuff you need a tent to store it, either your gonna give it to me, or your gonna die tryin to save it. The apocalypse calls for an altered sense of honor and morality. If I dont need it, its all yours, but if its life or death for you or me, I think you know whats gonna happen. Get into that apocalypse set of mind.

That's EXACTLY what I have in mind for the last few days. The idea of "camping" (going back to your camp for the night) is great. It's not 100% realistic (in RL people could kill you while you sleep), but it's better solution for other non-realistic shit.

But in real life, what stops someone from sneaking up and putting a knife over your troath while you sleep?

In real life you would guard the tent, sleep there, make shifts with your fellows, etc. You CANNOT do it in the game, because, uh, it's just a game and one's got to work :)

Edited by Nataniel

That's EXACTLY what I have in mind for the last few days. The idea of "camping" (going back to your camp for the night) is great. It's not 100% realistic (in RL people could kill you while you sleep), but it's better solution for other non-realistic shit.

In real life you would guard the tent, sleep there, make shifts with your fellows, etc. You CANNOT do it in the game, because, uh, it's just a game and one's got to work :)

In real life, if you died, you wouldn't respawn on the shore and run back to your tent to get the extra guns you left there.

Just sayin'...

Personally, the idea of having a tent in the game to store your things is an amazing idea. However, with the map size being so small and the average players per day per server, it is nearly impossible to keep anything more than a few weeks. In a real life situation one would "sleep" in your tent (assuming you have room in their). I would suggest adding a player action (on the scroll menu) that allows one to "sleep" in their tent. This would allow the player to log out with their tent and their gear would be safe. For instance, in a real life situation you may come across a tent in the woods. If you go to loot it you may or may not find someone sleeping inside. This person would then have the option to defend themselves or run screaming (fight or flight). With the current model in game, there is no way to protect our assets of any fashion other than finding "glitchy" ways to hide our tents in hopes nobody finds them. I suggest something like this.

Player places tent. Player puts gear in their tent. Player leaves room for their body (say 15 spaces?). Player sleeps in tent. Tent and player log off. Tent and player are safe from looters.

The player would have to return to their tent in order to log out and keep it safe. While the player is playing and is away from the tent it is NOT safe and other players can stumble upon it and loot it. If someone was to log out of the server while in combat, they would have abandoned their tent leaving it vulnerable. He would have to log back into the server, run to their tent, and then sleep in it.

TLDR: Tents should have an option to "sleep" in them. This would protect the tent from being looted while the player is off. The player would have to be at their tent in order to "sleep". This would punish the people who combat log as they would leave their tents vulnerable.

This is a very good idea.

In real life, if you died, you wouldn't respawn on the shore and run back to your tent to get the extra guns you left there.

Just sayin'...

I have to be with this one.

Death is supposed to mean something, you dont just pop up in the beach and magically get visions of tents full of stuff.

Tents are a good idea, for other players to find something left behind, but be aware, it could be a trap (never go for that tent in the middle of the plain field).

If you die, your supposed to feel loss, and not: "meh, I have another set back in my tent".

Btw, wasnt there bear traps? They any worth securing the tent?

I like the OP's idea.

Maybe add some complexity that adds layers of risk for both sides.

"Sleeping" in a tent locks the inventory and any potential looters are given a choice to try looting it. If the looter decides to try to loot the tent the game rolls to see if he succeeds. Failure = death (you woke the occupant and he shot you in the face). Success allows you to loot a limited number of items and each item you take rolls again with greater odds that you wake the occupant and die. You could go so far as to give the looter a very small chance to kill the occupant outright and have access to all the items. Of course you'd have to tweak the system to keep it from being manipulated (spawn and run back to the same tent until you get lucky, for instance).

Both sides of the equation trade risk for either security or loot. If you decide the risk isn't worth it, don't use the tent to sleep/loot.

I did not mean to start a war over reality vs game. I am just saying this. At the current moment, hackers are just respawning with best in slot items. They are playing the game in a manner that is breaking the "spirit" of the game. If they can spawn and hack a full set of gear I (as a legit player) would like to have SOME options to keep my gear safe. Just saying.

Also, the current system of tents (in my mind) is like this 90% are hacked tents full of hacked gear anyhow. The oither 10% are empty because people are just looting them like mad crazy. Anyone ever see the tent ESP hack? Yes, it does exist and it shows 100% of the tents on the server regardless of how far away they are. Adding some way to protect my stuff while I am busy IRL to me makes sense. Like someone above posted, I would have a group of people taking shifts sleeping and guarding. Is it possible that a group could sneak up and take us out, you bet it is. But I think we are diving too deep into "reality" with that scenario.

TLDR: To me, tents are 100% useless in the current state. I find no reason to put my gear in it as it WILL be looted at some point in time. I have 0 options of keeping my "stash" safe.

So since hackers are ruining the game, you want to make the game twice as easy? How is that going to slow the hackers down or do anything but ruin the game?

Tents are there to hold stuff while you loot towns. Then people figured out they could store all of their equipment, die, and never suffer any actual loss removing the threat of permadeath. Now you want to completely remove the small chance that someone can even loot your tent removing all risk from the game completely.

Don't engage in an escalating cold war of easy mode cheesiness. Just walk away and hope Battleye solves it...at least until tents and storage are removed from the game completely and death becomes an issue again.

So since hackers are ruining the game, you want to make the game twice as easy? How is that going to slow the hackers down or do anything but ruin the game?

Tents are there to hold stuff while you loot towns. Then people figured out they could store all of their equipment, die, and never suffer any actual loss removing the threat of permadeath. Now you want to completely remove the small chance that someone can even loot your tent removing all risk from the game completely.

Don't engage in an escalating cold war of easy mode cheesiness. Just walk away and hope Battleye solves it...at least until tents and storage are removed from the game completely and death becomes an issue again.

There is a very large difference in your approach to the topic and mine. This is a suggestion forum in which I brought a suggestion. Your attitude clearly shows as if you wear it on your e-sleeve. I would engage you in the same manner by stating you are probably the guy who server hops and camps the same building picking off weak prey for kills. But that isn't my style. I understand death. I understand permadeath. I do not understand why we should engage each other on the forums in such a hostile way. Thanks for your comment, your thoughts are noted.

PS. My tent idea does not remove the fact that someone CAN loot the tent while I am raiding a town or doing whatever. Also, my tent can be seen although not looted (ie. i am logged out "camping"). That does not mean that the next time I log in someone can not simply go back to my tent to loot it. My point is this, why fill a tent with anything in this current game? It will 100% be gone eventually (weeks at best). By the time you get some nice things, someone has already found it and raided it. The current mechanics do not work so I will second the fact that it should just be removed completely from the game. There should be no stash at all if one can not at least protect it while they are not logged into the game.

So your tent gets raided once a month. Do you regularly survive longer than a month? If not, then you're exploiting a hole in the whole concept of permadeath and showing that this game really isn't about survival anymore, it's about metagaming loopholes so you don't ever have to suffer the consequences of your actions or fear actual loss.

By going on to try and reinforce that loophole by designing a game mechanic to protect the few dangers to our current parachute/safety net/extra lives just seems...small.

It's like cliff diving. With a parachute. And then strapping rocket boosters to the parachute just in case the parachute doesn't open fast enough.

That's what this game is headed toward, and you're encouraging it because not only can you not conceive of ever having to start over from scratch when you die. You think that finding a tent should mean definitively that you never have to do so.

So your tent gets raided once a month. Do you regularly survive longer than a month? If not, then you're exploiting a hole in the whole concept of permadeath and showing that this game really isn't about survival anymore, it's about metagaming loopholes so you don't ever have to suffer the consequences of your actions or fear actual loss.

By going on to try and reinforce that loophole by designing a game mechanic to protect the few dangers to our current parachute/safety net/extra lives just seems...small.

It's like cliff diving. With a parachute. And then strapping rocket boosters to the parachute just in case the parachute doesn't open fast enough.

That's what this game is headed toward, and you're encouraging it because not only can you not conceive of ever having to start over from scratch when you die. You think that finding a tent should mean definitively that you never have to do so.

Some people just do not get it. I die often. I have started over many times. I find it fun. In no way does my suggestion DEFINITIVELY do anything. It simply protects my assets while I can not. When I am in game roaming around my assets are free to loot. Hell, when I am logged out my tent is still visible, just cant be looted. Someone could easily check back later the next day while I am on and take all of my stuff. You guys seem to be gung-ho about this die forever thing. Why dont we do this. When you die, you can never play again. THAT is perma-death you speak of. The art of respawning on a beach somewhere is in no way realistic just as your rocket parachute is in no way realistic. I am simply asking for some way to protect my assets while I can not. But I am going to drop this case, I can clearly see people are ignorant to what I am trying to say and thus will just give up. Goodaye mate

Even if you do have the ability to sleep in your tent, chances are if someone finds it they booby trap it so when you log back in you die or just camp the tent until someone logs in

I believe he means that if a player goes to sleep in their tent, then the tent and the player disconnect from the server making the tent no longer visible to other players

I hate getting looted. I do wish there was a way to make it so people couldn't get your stuff, but it's impossible unless you get snipers to take duties over night and day to watch your camp..

I do enjoy a good raid on my own gear as the resulting hunt is all the more sweet.

Two nights ago someone stole an ATV from my camp when I was at work. When I logged in I immediately noticed it's absence and checked my nearby tents. My spare DMR and ammunition had been taken along with some medical supplies and of all things, a bear trap...

I bring up my GPS as per my normal coordinate and heading check and notice something written right on me.

"THANKS FOR THE ATV!" Real funny... I delete the note and wait at my camp for fifteen minutes whilst getting into contact with some mates for a search operation all the while waiting to see if someone saw the marker and was coming to investiage.

I run to a secondary camp that hadn't been found and grabbed one of our other three spare ATVs (lol) and proceeded about our normal vehicle spawn checks and chasing firefights. I was randomly cruising NE of the NE Airfield (the camp was on the opposite side of the map) near the treeline and spotted something in the shrubs. I park the quad a distance away and wait a few minutes to see if there is any movement or suspicious movements.

Spying my chance I sneak in and it is indeed an ATV. I jump on it to check it's status, all green and with a nearly full fuel tank.

I jump off and check the gear...

DMR, ammunition, morphine, blood, epi-pens and one Goddam bear trap.

I mark the point and meet a mate and bring him back to ride it back to our other base. As we're leaving a leave a marker, "THANKS FOR THE ATV! PAYBACK'S A BITCH!"

Since disassembled the first base and contemplating moving the second or at least establishing another to back it up.