dilorenzovictor@gmail.com

Overheating GPUs. GTX 470 sli

Hi,

My friend has GTX470's in SLI. They always run hot but in this game they are hitting 100+ degrees.

Anyone with 470's have this issue? What did you do about it? Thing is the game runs ok FPS wise and he refuses to lower settings (which would send some of the load to the CPU but also make the game look poopy :P )

I believe he is running the latest non beta drivers. rest of specs are:

i7 920

GTX 470 SLI (gigabyte and MSI)

6 gigs ddr3 1600

ect ect.

I will recommend he under clock his cards in afterburner as well, but would rather that be a last resort.

Thanks!

Dunno if the arma engine even takes full use of sli but I do know that arma is way more cpu dependent than gpu as I run an I7 with a 570m in my laptop and I get 40-60 fps in towns and my gpu never gets above 60-65.

I got a GTX 470 too, its just a shitty graphics card which will overheat in every game that needs some performance. Nothing new about this. I used a alternate cooling system for the GPU priced around 40 $ from Zalman.

edit: this lowered my temperature from 90-110 degrees to 35-55 in games like Crysis 2.

Edited by LYE

I have same setup, they are first generation Fermi cards and I recall they are supposed to be safe at hot temps. I do have manual fan profiles that go to 100% after 80C. Helps that I play with headphones.

did i read that right... 100+ degree's Celsius? bro you can boil water at that temp...

It because the heat deduces over plastic to the really bad GPU fan.

plastic eh... i took my HD 7970 (asus directcuII ) apart when i bought it and removed the stock thermal paste and replaced with MX-4... i run my game on ultra high... the max temp i reach on GPU 42 Celsius...

Hi,

My friend has GTX470's in SLI. They always run hot but in this game they are hitting 100+ degrees.

Anyone with 470's have this issue? What did you do about it? Thing is the game runs ok FPS wise and he refuses to lower settings (which would send some of the load to the CPU but also make the game look poopy :P )

I believe he is running the latest non beta drivers. rest of specs are:

i7 920

GTX 470 SLI (gigabyte and MSI)

6 gigs ddr3 1600

ect ect.

I will recommend he under clock his cards in afterburner as well, but would rather that be a last resort.

Thanks!

I got a similar SLI as yours, got 2 of 480 and I had the same problem till I did a mod.

This is what I did, GFX have been moded like a year now and temps dont get higher than 50 degrees.

Hope this is usefull for you and dont be scared to do so, many people are :-)

http://www.overclock...-480-with-antec

If you need help or got any question let me know.

Not long ago one antec kuhler broke and I got it replaced with an accelero.

lafoto-7.jpg

Edited by rttnpig

lol is that n h80/100 jimmy rigged to the GPU... thats pimp brah ahaha, i got a h100 on the cpu, running a i7 3930k and i keep er around 28 celcius on load ;)

gallery_12_7_41294.jpg

Edited by BlazeN'Chronic

lol is that n h80/100 jimmy rigged to the GPU... thats pimp brah ahaha, i got a h100 on the cpu, running a i7 3930k and i keep er around 28 celcius on load ;)

gallery_12_7_41294.jpg

Yup. its the same ;) Its actually for CPU but I attached it on my GPU. Its incredible

did you have to buy a undermount bracket and spacer bolts? really cleaver idea thoe... do you have the radiator of the h100 setup for push/pull or just stock push?

Blaze, your tidiness in wiring your system is really stunning. Wish I would have done it the right way and place all the wires behind the case. :D

Setup is PushPull, using a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120x120mm 1850rpm.About the mount, done with a zip tie.Its quite simple but VERY effective.

Edited by rttnpig

@LYE thx bro, built it with the Corsair 800D case.. thing is a monster to say the least.. its got about 2 inches of back room for wires ect. Summer is great for bikini's n beers... but turns your PC room into semi sauna room lol.. im fortunate enough were im from it gets quite cool at night which helps since my unit is on a desk near the window.