Sign in to follow this  
Charliechaos

Bandit or survivor fine line

What makes someone a true bandit or a true survivor? So far my experience has been mixed and looking back I don't know if I can be mad at the people who killed me. Yes the people that go looking for targets to kill could be considered evil or bad but when I think about it the game is about surviving. How many times do you hear a story about how someone was backstabbed or told "friendly" only to find out that is not the case. Can you really blame those that fire first and ask questions later? How do they know you really are friendly?

The reason I think of this is a situation that happen to me the other day.

I just respawned outside of elektro and decided I had nothing to lose and ran into the town. In searching a few buildings I found a crossbow and some bolts and a hatchet. I decided to find an upgraded backpack, food, and water and in my search came across a mak and some ammo now as I was looting I watched 2 other people run past and as they were running past I heard gunfire and watched one of them die while the other took cover in a nearby building. Shortly after a 3rd person who I could only assume was the shooter started sneaking up to the building. I decided to help survivor who just had his friend killed in the streets! Taking aim I was able to get a headshot as the killer was waiting outside one of the doors.

With the murder dead I told my hopefully new friend "I got him come get your friends stuff" the next thing I know is my would be new friend comes out swinging a hatchet at me! My first instinct was to unload my clip into this Jason wannabe which I did. Deciding that I could make better use of their items then they could I collected what I needed and took off into the woods.

Looking back I can't say I blame anyone for the shot first ask questions later mentality. As your gear gets better your paranoia level goes up not wanting to die. At the end of the day we are all survivors....

I'd say that bandits are the people who are on a mission to kill others and take their stuff. Survivors are the people who kill when they feel threatened or in self defense.

I'm not really comfortable calling any bad act banditry. Because not all bandits are equal in my eyes.

I'd say you have several classes of players in game, survivors, samaritans , vigilantes, bandits, killers, and thieves.

I think all of them contribute immensely to make this game the phenomenal experience that it is and are a plus to the game world with the exception of killers in my opinion.

Not all killers mind you, just the guys that snipe people as they spawn on the beach , My opinion is that they are just as worthless as the script kiddies that plague this game.

I consider myself a survivor. I mostly play lone wolf and if I see another player and he doesn't notice me I usually just try to get away. If I hear shots I usually leave the area.

But, I have been itching to shoot some people. I attempted to the other day right outside of Cherno. He had an ALICE pack and some sort of rifle so I figured it wasn't shooting at a defenseless person. I took a few shots at him from 250 m out with my AKM but I wasn't able to get it on target enough to put him down. He fired back as well and missed me. Eventually he slinked away behind a building and I lost sight of him but another player got him shortly after (nameplates were on so I saw his name was David and saw his death message.) I think his killer was the guy I spotted on the roof of the factory building who was even further out and i had no chance at getting.

But anyways I left the area and went north and found some better weapons so I might try my hand at shooting some people for their gear at Starry/NWAF since I'm not far from Starry right now.

I think of a bandit as someone who actively pursues players to kill/ steal from.

A survivor to me is anybody who is minding their own business and may kill on sight? I'm not sure where to put that line.

A friendly is somebody who will only shoot if it is incredibly apparent the other person is of malicious intent. A friendly will typically only fire once they have given a warning the other player has not abided by or have been shot at first.

Those are the definitions I imply when I use these terms.

A bandit to me is trying to survive yet getting bored and killing other bandits/survivors. They don't really care who they shoot.

Survivor's they basically 'survive' by avoiding players if they can or shooting on sight, some are more friendly than others though.