Sign in to follow this  
rmnesbitt@gmail.com

DayZ Standalone Engine?

I know we will get more information in the near future but I can not resist speculation threads. So, what do you guys think the new engine will be? Will it be a brand new engine created solely for DayZ? Will it be a modified ARMA 3 engine for use with DayZ? Those are the only two ways I can see it going. The pros of having a modified ARMA 3 engine is that it will come out FAR sooner than if they start from scratch. However, it may not be as good of a game if they do it that way. If they build an engine from scratch for use with DayZ then the game will be 100% what rocket wants it to be but it could take years for the release.

I personally think they will allow Rocket to modify the ARMA 3 engine to his liking for use with DayZ. That is just my .02. What do you guys think?

if its made by BOI...and was meant to be ported to arma 3 mod...then ya im sure it will be arma 3 engine.

Noone but the team knows.

But judging BI seems to have contracted Rocket to develop it to standalone suggests it'll be a hybrid of ARMA 2 and ARMA 3 code but with the whole multiplayer side of things heavily rebuilt.

But will the arma 3 engine not be wide open to hacking, that's the real question on everybody's mind.

Doesn't matter,

ARMA 3 will be open script i'm fairly sure as thats its strength and the main reason ARMA has faithful followers, they'd be insane to block off their core users because of a mod.

DayZ:Game though, will most likely have the same foundation for core mechanics but the whole MMO aspect rebuilt from bare bones.

Edited by Never

Didn't Rocket say, in that Machinima interview recently, that although he had looked at the arma 3 engine he would not be using it for any future standalone as he wouldn't be able to do exactly what he wanted to with DayZ ?

They will allow rocket to make changes so the only thing he will be using are textures and animations of ARMA 3 rather than coding them from scratch. As far as hacking, I believe he will have control over that aspect and will be able to "add" his own system to the game to prevent this. I honestly can not wait. Dean Hall has to be one of the best game developers (in reference to his ideas and core beliefs) that this generation has seen. I believe 100% that he will be true to his believes and not sell out for the money like other major titles.

they can easily modify current arma II engine (better hdr, better models) and call it dayz game. Fine by me.

DayZ will probably use a modified version of Arma3, it's already been suggested it'd be built on that engine due to the technical limitations of Arma2's

/speculation

Didn't Rocket say, in that Machinima interview recently, that although he had looked at the arma 3 engine he would not be using it for any future standalone as he wouldn't be able to do exactly what he wanted to with DayZ ?

Maybe this was before the recent news? I doubt he would use ARMA 3 engine if he was not able to modify it to his liking. But now, as a project lead, I think he has much more control than he did when he was just a mod developer.

I think that was befor he was contracted though.

With access to the engine he can modify it for DayZ and add his security measures to stop hackers freely excuting into the game.

Doesn't matter,

ARMA 3 will be open script i'm fairly sure as thats its strength and the main reason ARMA has faithful followers, they'd be insane to block off their core users because of a mod.

DayZ:Game though, will most likely have the same foundation for core mechanics but the whole MMO aspect rebuilt from bare bones.

So in other words, hacks, hacks everywhere.

So in other words, hacks, hacks everywhere.

No, Rocket should be able to heavily modify the engine to his liking. Thus hopefully killing the ease of which people hack. People will ALWAYS hack. All Rocket can do is make it harder (and more expensive) for people to hack.

People will ALWAYS hack.

To fix that for you; they will always *try* to hack, this is the easiest mainstream title that can be hacked right now. The game isn't just open to it, it encourages it.

And why start off your argument with a staunch "No" then get all weak with stuff like "hopefully", "should" and 'all he can do'. lols.

I know we will get more information in the near future but I can not resist speculation threads. So, what do you guys think the new engine will be? Will it be a brand new engine created solely for DayZ? Will it be a modified ARMA 3 engine for use with DayZ? Those are the only two ways I can see it going. The pros of having a modified ARMA 3 engine is that it will come out FAR sooner than if they start from scratch. However, it may not be as good of a game if they do it that way. If they build an engine from scratch for use with DayZ then the game will be 100% what rocket wants it to be but it could take years for the release.

I personally think they will allow Rocket to modify the ARMA 3 engine to his liking for use with DayZ. That is just my .02. What do you guys think?

we can only hope the engine will be the same engine used for gta5

They can use the Quake 1 engine, as long they implement the feature, that the PC from a cheater will explode.

He is using the RV engine. It is BI's engine that they used to create arma. No reason they can't use the engine for DAYZ.

My cock would be rock hard to be able to see standalone dayz released on the new Unreal engine /nerdgasim