Sula

New Players Important Information on Cheating

First off, let me say a big thank you to Soul Shaper who took the time to explain this to me because I had no idea that what I was doing is not allowed. :thumbsup: LVG mentioned it too but I thought it was a joke. This is about aborting when you're attacked by a zombie, or a shooter or going from server to server, trying to find night or day, or for whatever reason.

If, like me, you're still relatively new to the game, when attacked by a zombie it might seem sensible to abort the game and find another server.

Apparently, this is cheating called "meta-gaming". It means escaping the reality of the game's universe and using our external universe to your advantage. And it's going to be blocked. Players who do it a certain number of times in a set period of time will be banned from playing dayz! Moving from server to server is called "Server hopping".

I'm not sure how this will work if, like me, you have to spend hours trying to get into a server and once you are in, it's too laggy for you to move, so you leave to find another. Presumably that's what the appeals against bans section is for.

I'm letting you know because I've been playing for a couple of weeks and almost everyone I've met has shouted "abort" at me when I'm being shot and can't aim the gun at the zombie because of the lag. I thought it was ok but apparently it isn't allowed.

I love playing dayz but I'm not interested in killing zombies unless I can't sneak passed them. I've no interest in killing players and the only time I would use a gun would be if someone was shooting at me. Honour and fairplay are part of my life. So I was stunned to learn my escaping a zombie by aborting was cheating! Doing it when you're being shot at is also, cheating.

I haven't tried that only because when someone shoots at me I die, and then I find out about.

If you're a newbie, I hope this information helps forewarn you and explain. I confess I don't fully understand why we have so many servers or how and when we can leave one server and join another yet but I'll let you know once I do. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

you.ve been misinformed..

until they put in a system to prevent logging when in combat your fine to play as you wish..

for what its worth the ONLY person you have to anwser to when you play/log or not play is yourself..

your reasons for logging out are your own, and you dont owe anything to anyone as far as why/when you log. be it for any of a million reasons.

Edited by Siberian
  • Like 1

But two people have now told me it's being introduced in a coming update. Anyway, I feel quite shocked that anything I am doing is considering cheating. I never cheat. :thumbsup: Thanks, guys. :beans:

Edited by Sula

People shouldn't have to be told that this isn't good for the them, the game or the community.

Being able to suddenly vanish out of the world (and harms way) is the option alot of people will take though.

Server hopping just for loot is bad. Disconnecting when your about to die via other players is bad.

It's not for me to say how people should play their game. I play it this way because i want the challenge. D/C and server hopping just breaks the immersion for me personally.

I can't see what you achieve if you quit out. You get yourself into a certain situation in game...whether it's Zombies or players...and it's the winning, the surviving that situation. That is the game, this is the whole point of playing it.

But people are going to play the game how they want i guess, we can only hope more people stop this kind of play.

Good post for newbies to read.

Edit

I don't know how they will distinguish between people d/c or just having rubbish internet. There could well be alot of people banned or punished for disconnects etc. English ISP providers aint exactly great or reliable.

Edited by GeordieMarv
  • Like 2

People shouldn't have to be told that this isn't good for the them, the game or the community.

Being able to suddenly vanish out of the world (and harms way) is the option alot of people will take though.

Server hopping just for loot is bad. Disconnecting when your about to die via other players is bad.

It's not for me to say how people should play their game. I play it this way because i want the challenge. D/C and server hopping just breaks the immersion for me personally.

I can't see what you achieve if you quit out. You get yourself into a certain situation in game...whether it's Zombies or players...and it's the winning, the surviving that situation. That is the game, this is the whole point of playing it.

But people are going to play the game how they want i guess, we can only hope more people stop this kind of play.

Good post for newbies to read.

Edit

I don't know how they will distinguish between people d/c or just having rubbish internet. There could well be alot of people banned or punished for disconnects etc. English ISP providers aint exactly great or reliable.

If you live in the UK and have shit internet connection I'm afraid it's your fault. If your connection comes down your phoneline, sucks to be you. You have 100mbps connection speeds available on fibre lines, so don't talk balls about bad ISPs in the UK lol.

I think it's different for people in groups and going solo.

I've seen a few videoes of groups attacking a single person and he d/c's. Well, the disconnecting is bad.. yes. Attacking a player with a makarov while your group has ghillie suits, NVG, sniper rifles and are taking shots at him from some hill is also pretty unfair. They probably just spent a long time trying to gear up because they don't have a group to give them weapons and supplies everytime they die .

Are you really surprised he would disconnect? I'm not condoning it merely trying to shed a different light. My friend mentioned a timer after aborting so that you would stand motionless for 10 seconds (or however long) while you were disconnected so that if you tried to quick disconnect you could still be killed while you waited to leave the server.

you.ve been misinformed..

until they put in a system to prevent logging when in combat your fine to play as you wish..

for what its worth the ONLY person you have to anwser to when you play/log or not play is yourself..

your reasons for logging out are your own, and you dont owe anything to anyone as far as why/when you log. be it for any of a million reasons.

No, you are wrong. Rocket himself has said explicitly that disconnecting to avoid death is an exploit and is not tolerated. By your logic exact same excuses could be said about scripting, that you are only responsible to yourself as long as they haven't put a system to prevent it. Right? No. Disconnecting to save your life is an exploit and the developer of the mod has said so himself. There are supposed to measures in the future to monitor loggin in/out behaviour, issued warnings and penalties (do not remember without checking if it was banning or something else).

But two people have now told me it's being introduced in a coming update. Anyway, I feel quite shocked that anything I am doing is considering cheating. I never cheat. :thumbsup: Thanks, guys. :beans:

It's cowardly but not actual cheating. I don't really see a reason to alt+F4 just because you're being attacked by zombies. If you're being chased just run and find a barn or something. As for aborting during a fire fight, now that's just plain wrong imo. Yes, they're douches for shooting at you but it's a part of the game. I don't think I'd be playing if I knew I was gonna abort as soon as something/someone attacked me.

But, as someone said, the only person you have to answer to is you.

No, you are wrong. Rocket himself has said explicitly that disconnecting to avoid death is an exploit and is not tolerated. By your logic exact same excuses could be said about scripting, that you are only responsible to yourself as long as they haven't put a system to prevent it. Right? No. Disconnecting to save your life is an exploit and the developer of the mod has said so himself. There are supposed to measures in the future to monitor loggin in/out behaviour, issued warnings and penalties (do not remember without checking if it was banning or something else).

umm thats what i said..

you are confusing what he actualy said..

just because you " hear" shots doesnt = im under fire.. there could be any number of players around you taking or giving fire..it doesnt in ANY way mean you need to stick around to find out.. if your actualy getting hit (taking damage) thats something else..

the OP simply was stating a case were there was something going on near him...

but in the end, you play your way, i'll play mine..

TBH i dont give the slightest fuck what the PVP community thinks, cuz they sure as hell dont care what a non-PVP player thinks/wants. thats for dam sure

Edited by Siberian

If you live in the UK and have shit internet connection I'm afraid it's your fault. If your connection comes down your phoneline, sucks to be you. You have 100mbps connection speeds available on fibre lines, so don't talk balls about bad ISPs in the UK lol.

I'm not talking balls mate.

We can't all afford Virgin or other super fast broadband on fibre optic.

I know lots of people with humble 8mb lines, and they drop out quite a bit.

If you refuse to acknowledge that a huge majority of people in this country suffer shit internet connections...then more fool you.

How about YOU stop talking balls and accept not everyone is as fortunate as yourself.

• Like 1

umm thats what i said..

you are confusing what he actualy said..

just because you " hear" shots doesnt = im under fire.. there could be any number of players around you taking or giving fire..it doesnt in ANY way mean you need to stick around to find out.. if your actualy getting hit (taking damage) thats something else..

the OP simply was stating a case were there was something going on near him...

but in the end, you play your way, i'll play mine..

TBH i dont give the slightest fuck what the PVP community thinks, cuz they sure as hell dont care what a non-PVP player thinks/wants. thats for dam sure

It was not about "hearing shots" but about disconnecting to avoid death.

You said "until they put in a system to prevent logging when in combat your fine to play as you wish..". I said no, that is an exploit.

She said that "So I was stunned to learn my escaping a zombie by aborting was cheating! Doing it when you're being shot at is also, cheating." You said that's incorrect, that it is ultimately your choice to do as you wish. I said you are incorrect on this, it is an exploit and is about to be punished in the future by Rocket. Right?

You're talking balls. I have a 1mb connection with BT and never dissconnect. I have another connection at another residence and have a 150mb downlink. I'm currently in France in the mountains with 0.87D 0.22U and still don't DC.

/inb4coolstory

But you need to contact your ISP you have a line issue.

Edited by Dez.

You're talking balls. I have a 1mb connection with BT and never dissconnect. I have another connection at another residence and have a 150mb downlink. I'm currently in France in the mountains with 0.87D 0.22U and still don't DC.

/inb4coolstory

But you need to contact your ISP you have a line issue.

If your internet is good for you, then i'm happy for you.

I'm only stating this isn't the case for everyone. :D

No cool story, only a fact...for me personally.

If your internet is good for you, then i'm happy for you.

I'm only stating this isn't the case for everyone. :D

No cool story, only a fact...for me personally.

Your ToS will cover you /:

Phone them up and get them to send a mechanic out to test your line. None of this it's fine from our end bullcrap. Explain that your line drops regularly and they are bound to fixing it you pay for a service and you should get it. 99% of ISP claim at least 98% uptime and line stability.

Edited by Dez.

Yeah D/C (Alt+F4) is not allowed. I think it will be fixed sometime down the road. Server hopping is just frowned upon. I don't see why there should be a problem with server hopping to get loot on a low pop server. And you got the part about Meta-gaming wrong. According to Rocket this is allowed.

Basically everything is allowed as long you aren't using an exploit or hacks. For example sniping newly spawned players is neither allowed nor forbidden. Rocket says it's up to the player what he decides to do in game.

Grow a pair.

Also if you feel you need to abort rather than just kill or lose the zeds (both of which are stupidly easy) maybe you need to get better and not just abort all the time. Oh yea and aborting/alt f4 when being shot at is the act of pond scum.

As mentioned above you also have your definitions wrong.

Oh man I just fed the troll didnt I... was so obvious too.

Is it ok to server hop to try and get a server without graphical glitches? I'm at the NW airfield and can't even get close without being blinded by them. So i have to hop about 10 times before I find a server that's actually playable in that area.

I completely disagree with almost all of you. I am no coward. In fact I'm quite the opposite. I live my real life and my dayz life honorably, and with fair play. However, there is a god in dayz and his name is Rocket. You might not like it but it's his tune to which we must all dance.

However, when an idiot boy who is too young to legally play this game, shoots at me and I am unarmed I believe I should be allowed to do anything I can to stay alive. Apparently, Rocket disagrees and is putting in place ways to prevent it. He's the boss.

As to the connections, we don't have good broadband in the UK. It's 42% of the international average. That's not whining, that is a statement of fact. Facts are things which can be proved, rather than opinions, which we see a lot of in these forums.

As to lag, there's nothing I, or my ISP can do about that. If you get a good ping, fantastic but it's still a meta-advantage. Perhaps Rocket should introduce a way of forcing us all to play with the same ping, as that too is an other worldly advantage.

Dez, isn't it passed by your bedtime, sonny? :huh:

Edited by Sula

I suppose you could use the exploits as long as they are available and save yourself. I don't know what I would do if I was all geared up and had the chance. But eventually those possibilities to save your skin will be patched away. And I am sure once the stand alone is out there will be a delay when you log out as in WoW.

Now I am reading different stuff about Alt F4. I always thought it makes your body disappear so your killer can't loot you. Didn't know that it also prevents your death.

Considering all of the hacking and admin abuse, are combat logging or server hopping really that big of a deal?

haha. combat logging can be quite rediculous. a guy shoots down our helicopter with a .50 cal. im on the ground nearby so i post up with a dmr covering the crash site. about 30 minutes later here comes the guy. i hit him in the shoulder blades after 3 shots and he disconnects. then when my team is coming back in to loot their corpses, he logs back in under a different name and picks one of them off. so i promptly hit him in the belly with a dmr round and again he logs off. this kind of behavior is really annoying. he has combat logged 3 times on my team and the fourth time my team got him before he could. I personally wish that we could ban for this kind of behavior, but we haven't done it yet, as we are waiting for a legitimate reason like scripting to issue bans. This will certainly be tightened up on in the future. I think a 30 second wait to disconnect is a great idea. The time works in eve online and I think it's about 5 minutes long or longer depending on your ship. It wouldn't change my play style. I typically wait in a tree for about 5 minutes to disconnect because I want to make sure that my character is saved with the hive.

Edited by Eidos