Sign in to follow this  
joulesbeef

Can someone explain the deal with civi clothes looking different to each player?

You have probably noticed when you log into dayz as a skinless civ, you have either a blue shirt or a black shirt, which a brown vest or a black vest.

Once in dayz I saw someone about 50 meters in front of me about dusk, his blue shirt just glowing. But he was followed by this strange shadow "graphical glitch".. it was dark and I could barely see it. They turned into the light and suddenly I saw, it was two people.

Now the guy in front was at a serious disadvantage to the guy in back.

I saw this and used to reload the server over and over until I saw I was wearing black on black.

Well Then I started to play with friends. I now see that, it is pretty random, how they see you. They can see my in any civilian clothing available. One guy can see me in black on black when another might see me as blue on brown.

Well my question is WHY!!!! I realize this is probably a better question for ARMA.. but for the life of me I cant see why either game,, would have this.. except maybe bandwidth issues. and not sending all the info about each char.. but this seems unlikely.

When I put on a skin, like a ghillie or camos, everyone sees the same thing.

So why are newbie survivers so screwed when it comes to clothes?

Cant we get just one set of dark clothes and everyone have that?

• Like 4

Simple answer. Generating your appearance is done on each local machine.

So everyone gets a random civilian outfit.... For each person seeing them.

Your machine itself is generating one of a few possible skins.

I hate that.

• Like 1

Everyone should wear the same clothes, it isn't fair if i'm black clothed on my screen but to everyone else i'm wearing blue and white and stick out.

• Like 1

I was thinking about that too.

However instead of giving everyone a black skin, just make clothing spawn. It would work like the ghillie, called DDD (Vest-dark, Shirt-dark, Pants-dark), BiWBl and so on.

I don't get why is it done locally, assigning a skin ID shouldn't put heavy load on the server.

Edited by Threenuc

I always wondered myself

I'd also lile being able to change skin, arma has so many civiliabs skins it feels like a waste not using them at all

I hate the color randomness of civilian clothing. And I dont want to wear camo clothing or a ghillie suit because I love that effin baseball cap.

Edited by Shaimou

It should be a simple change. Allow you to pick your colors.

I figured it was locally generated. ANd I could see where it wouldnt matter as much with civs in arma, as you are playing military and generally not killing them. Though i could see where it would lead to communication problems as in "see the civ with the black shirt on the right? our sniper is above him to the left" and your bud only sees people in light color shirts.

Still I wish they would fix that. I want everyone to see me as I see me. If we all have to have tie dye shirts so we all stand out until I find camos..hey that is fine. I just want everyone on the same page.

it would be sorta cool, if we all spawned in light clothing and you could find some darker civ clothing.

Like with guns you have common, rare, very rare and extremely rare.. but with clothes you only have the extremely rare.

Maybe starting off with light blue jeans and a light shirt, but you could find things like dark blue jeans, black slacks, darker shirt, black shirt.. and these could take over the common and rare and very rare spots missing from clothes. ANd be sorta a step down from camos and ghillies but a step up from the bright shirts we have now.

Edited by powercow