Sign in to follow this  
combatcomm1

Rare Collectable books - Realistic alternative to class system?

In the book how to survive a zombie apocalypse the author suggests to the reader that they should read read read. Gain as much knowledge about everything that you can. Navigation, mechanics, first aid, water purification, distilling alcohols. You will need to be a jack of all trades to survive. Not every person who spawns should know how to apply bloodpacks efficiently, or repair a helicopter, or even fly one.

A class system is too consoley and easy. But what if you add the power of knoledge to your character that you have created. Now not only have you strove to make your character as geared up and prepared as possible but also educated by searching for and reading books.

The books would not be full fledged prints but rather collectable items that take a few second animation to read and than you now have the ability to use and perform certain actions. Drop and leave the book or keep it. Hide it so you are now valuable. Whatever. Its up to you.

The books subjects would be MANY. But only a set amouint of each on each server. They would allow you to do CPR. Use bloodpacks more effeciently, Repair a vehicle. Fly a helicopter. Drive a tank. The list goes on and on. This system could be easily implemented the same way many ranks could not fly airplanes or use vehicles in game modes like warfare and domination.

Make the books extreamly rare, in fact, only have 2 of each book somwhere in the server at one time. That way there are only 2 mechanics on the server, or 2 pilots. People will than become more valuable to other players. Sure youve collected all the stuff you need to repair a helicopter but you dont have a mechanic who read the helicopter repair book. Than once its repaired now you need someone skilled in piloting said helicopter.

More fun things to search for, adds more value to your character and adds more value to your character to other players.

Edit- I will add ideas for books and skills as I come up with them or are offered ideas to help rocket out in thinking of books if he so decides to implement this system. Only 2 of each spawn on any one server.

-UH 60 Repair Manual

-UH 60 Piloting Manual

-UH 60 Gunner Manual

-BloodPack and IVs Pamplet (More effective blood regen)

-CPR Pamplet

- Land Nav Manual (Perhaps gives some advantage to that players navigation)

- Phychology Textbook - Regen others humanity/morality whatever system is implemented

- Diesal Generator Manual

- Electrician Textbook (Repair powerplant system)

I really like this idea com paired to perks or what ever, I think this would be easier to implement with Arma2, plus it's a little different then what all the other games.

through I don't think they should be rare.

The books should resemble food/water, you read it and then it goes away. if it didn't it would take up much needed inventory space.

Also, to make it more streamline:

the book tittle "Mechanics and you!" could be read once, disappears, and you learn how to repair a car, then if you find it again, you read it and it teaches you how to repair Helicopters and so on and so forth.

Same with electricity. 1st time you read the book. you learn how to do single town generators. 2nd time, you learn how to fix power plants

My only issue with not making them rare is you than take away the value of that person who has read that book. If they just dissapear its unrealistic and also takes away from the added game scenario of being able to kill and steal for that book, which as much as id hate for that to happen, it should be allowed for a dynamic game. Also book collectors could trade high value items for books.

I do however like the added knoledge levels of books. But rather id like to see more of a prerequisite system where in order to read book 2 you have to have read book 1. This could be frustrating however for someone who read book one and searches and searches but cannot find book 2. Or comes across book 2 but hasent read book 1. But it adds the needed dynamic or trading asking others, if theyv seen o are in possesion of said book. Remember humans are meant for information exchange mechanics http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6986

VictorM, I like a lot of your ideas that could complement to realism. As you have said before, having people be able to do different things allows for cooperation, information exchange like you call it, to grow. This may even remedy the current "Shoot-on-sight" mentality and partially (Yes I still want "bandits" to roam around) replace it with a "Lets see if this guy is useful" mentality.

I'd say that the majority of players want cruel realism in the game. I therefore have no choice but to ask you: Is it really realistic to learn how to repair a complex helicopter engine by reading a book in a fraction of a second? I have suggested an ability system, a past history so to speak, that survivors could choose allowing them for different skills. Bear in mind that the last thing I want is to make the game "consolish", however this would be an ideal route for information exchange and thus realism.

To avoid exploits, a class could only be chosen once a day for spawning characters as well as once for an existing character (menu similar to chosing gender).

Eh, I'm not really sure I like the idea of different classes and skill sets in the game, it quickly becomes ridiculously overcomplicated.

However, a good way to implement different player 'classes' would be by having various skins a player could equip relative to what they want their role to be. For example, somebody who wanted to be a medic would be able to use a medic skin, but rather than having a different set of skills, would instead just fill their bag with medical supplies.

Eh' date=' I'm not really sure I like the idea of different classes and skill sets in the game, it quickly becomes ridiculously overcomplicated.

However, a good way to implement different player 'classes' would be by having various skins a player could equip relative to what they want their role to be. For example, somebody who wanted to be a medic would be able to use a medic skin, but rather than having a different set of skills, would instead just fill their bag with medical supplies.

[/quote']

You have an interesting idea there. You could find classes at logical locations; a medic class could f.ex. be found at hospitals.

Also, add features to a particular skin, so it isn't a simple gimmick:

Military skin

- Better weapon handling, More stamina

Pilot skin

- able to fly helicopters

Mechanic

- Repair vehicles

Since you can't obtain the skin of someone if you kill him while he is using it, this could lead to some interesting dynamics between players.

Not every survivor is a clone or a drone you posses that needs certain knowledge. People are all different and start with different experiences and skills that's what makes the idea of apocalypse so interesting, thinking how would I fit in and what can I bring to the table. You are suppose to represent yourself and the knowledge you already have, but what you are suggesting is a gamey thing find this item and now you are suddenly more important and we know DayZ is a type of anti game. For example I dont know how to fly in arma2 so reading a book will not change that and other way around, thus taking away control from players. When we repaired a chopper after 2 days of bugs and looking for parts, we decided on a pilot based on the highest skill in our group so one guys was always our pilot due to KNOWING how to fly it better than others. Your idea isnt that different from skills and talents system.

Having only few books on a servers makes no sense either, what will other people do? So only those lucky or hardcore ones get to certain things and others not? Playing favorites on people due to possessing something others have no access to is not fair or realistic.

Let's ignore for a moment that not everything of value is written in books.

If a player is better than you in every way at this game, which means he can orient himself, he know how to react during combat, how to evade zombies, how to get in and out of a location without atracting attention to himself or how to orient himself without a compass using the sun at day and the stars at night.

Is it fair to "gimp" this player with a class type mechanic so you (or another player) are of any use to him?

I'm all for finding ideas to deepen the gameplay, but i don't think an RPGesque system is the right way, if you want to be useful to other players, i think you should have to have something they can really use.

Hell maybe i'm harsh but ... If you are not an asset to a group, why would that group keep you?

This is not some RPG where you play a character, you play yourself in a fictional situation, so what you have to give value to your life is... well what you are basically. You can decide to play a different role, but your character still only has the skills that you have yourself.

That's also why i kinda hope if the mod get ported to arma3 that we end up with realistic helicopter behavior, so flying one isn't so easy anymore.

I don't think it's up to the game to make you valuable.

I am for adding more things to eventually master though!

There are other possiblities for books beyond just owner's manuals. A buddy of mine made an off-hand suggestion that there should be an in-game almanac that gives you a message about the current lunar cycle and weather of the server you are on. He was joking, but it was actually a really good idea.

We need more real skills (such as actually knowing how to fly a heli or shoot a sniper rifle from a great distance) instead of magically getting abilities from 'reading' a book.

Also, this isn't the military or civilian life where you need a special license to fly. Anything goes so if you find a heli, you can just take it and if you don't know what you're doing and just crash, well that's just too bad.