psycorevolution

Having Multiple Characters

I wanted to have 2 different characters in the game.... 1 for normal playing with friends, and a second for character to use for my youtube videos(not for muling and all that jazz, yadayada)

Anyway, so I read that it might be possible to have 2 characters if I owned a retail disk, as well as my copy on steam. Well I got my retail disk and tried it and....well it failed. It seems you cannot have 2 characters by owning 2 different copies of the game.

So my question to you IS:

If I create a second steam account and buy the game on there, will it work without a problem?

To me it seems that this should work without fail, but buying a retail disk seemed like it should have worked as well....so yeah...

I'd just like confirmation that this will work before I go spending more money on something that won't work.

Thanks- Psyco

I wanted to have 2 different characters in the game....

Thanks- Psyco

Uhhhh can't you just use different Profiles?

I think the characters are bound to your IP, I'm not sure though. But I'm pretty sure that is the case.

Anyway, so I read that it might be possible to have 2 characters if I owned a retail disk, as well as my copy on steam. Well I got my retail disk and tried it and....well it failed. It seems you cannot have 2 characters by owning 2 different copies of the game.

It works. The character is tied to your GUID which is tied to your CD-Key. ARMA stores the CD-Key in the registry. Steam automatically updates your registry whenever it is launched, so all you need to do is export the registry keys when you just installed from disc and restore them whenever you want to play with that character.

Using two Steam-Accounts works as well. As said, Steam overwrites the registry for you.

I think the characters are bound to your IP' date=' I'm not sure though. But I'm pretty sure that is the case.

[/quote']

I have heard that may be the case, let's hope not. I've just emailed the Dev team as well as tweeted them. I'd like a definite answer on this from them.

Anyway' date=' so I read that it might be possible to have 2 characters if I owned a retail disk, as well as my copy on steam. Well I got my retail disk and tried it and....well it failed. It seems you cannot have 2 characters by owning 2 different copies of the game.

[/quote']

It works. The character is tied to your GUID which is tied to your CD-Key. ARMA stores the CD-Key in the registry. Steam automatically updates your registry whenever it is launched, so all you need to do is export the registry keys when you just installed from disc and restore them whenever you want to play with that character.

Using two Steam-Accounts works as well. As said, Steam overwrites the registry for you.

Well I definitely don't want to mess with my registry every time I want to play.....and then you're 100% sure that 2 different steam accounts will work? I don't wanna waste another $30

IF Multiple character system is added to DayZ I think it would be easy to exploit this system to get loot easily (Imagine you have to get a rotor in one of the factory on the coast, you could just create a character to do so while your main character would take no risk at all)

One way to avoid that is a Planetside 1 like system, once you switch character you have to wait 12 hours to use another one.

Edit: Oh nevermind this post, I'm out of subject here.

I honestly don't know what the hell is causing the same character, I've been hearing that it's based on GUID's but then I'm hearing people are playing as the same character and won't let more then one even with seperate CD-Keys but same IP's.

I'd like the ability to just make a different profile and make another character. Sure, people could potentially exploit it by finding parts and bringing them all together, but surely there must be a different solution. Maybe just no switching characters to get on the same SERVER as one your other character recently went on.

I want to be able to play solo, but my friends and I met up and I don't want to run off and die while they aren't around. I want to be able to make a character and run around / lone wolf it up while they aren't on.