Gogster (DayZ)

DayZ Supplemental Ban List

DayZ Supplemental Ban List  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the DayZ Supplemental Ban List

• I'm a server admin and would join
    • I'm a server admin and would not join
    • I'm not a server admin, but would like to see servers I play on implement this
    • I'm not a server admin, and would not like to see this on the servers I play on
  2. 2. The PunksBusted/PBBans Master Ban List

• I am aware of this and how it works
    • I've never heard of it
    • I used to stream but do not know how it worked

Hi Everyone,

Firstly let me give you a bit of background. I'm not a member of the dev team, moderators or part of BattlEye. I am merely a server admin for a few UK servers, which is soon to grow significantly. I do, however, have a background in anti-cheat. I used to be a moderator and MD5 creator over at PunksBusted. This was before BF decided to move to their own anti-cheat system and the site got perpetually attacked via DDOS. I carried out this work for the best part of 14 months, so have some good insight into anti-cheat and cheat detection.

I have, in the past, tried to contact BattlEye about their product to see how admins could extend its functionality, but have not received a response. This is a shame. Like most anti-cheat sites they are predictably taciturn when asked for information, but with the lack of response I feel it is time for server admins to group together and try and combat the cheats by sharing information.

I propose the setting up of a DayZ Supplementary Ban List. This list would be contributed by (confirmed) server admins from the community, who will be able to download it and use it on all their servers to keep the cheats off.

There's no money available for this at the moment. I could put some in, but I have done some testing with free services out there and we successfully trialled using Google Drive, Wordpress, & MailChimp.

The system would work like so:

1. Access to the 'system' would be via application form which would run through a series of checks to confirm server administration etc...
  2. Once approved the admin would be mailed links to the cheat addition form and a link to download the data.
  3. Cheats would be submitted by the authorised server admin and verified by the server log-entry.
  4. We do not have a remote repository so a lot of this information would be taken on trust. This is not our fault, this is just the way BattlEye works.
  5. Admins would receive an email when the data has been updated, usually every 24 hours - to go and download a new version of the data.
  6. They would upload this to their server, we would provide instructions on how to add it to the ban list for those admins who do not know how to do so.
  7. We would expect admins to only get the data from the link so it is up to date as possible with added and removed bans. We would need admins not to share the data with other admins, although using the same list across servers would be ok.

Could I get your opinions, enthusiastic or not, and your level interest or not. We would need:

• Server admins who are interested in joining
  • Names of anyone who would like to get involved

If there are any people on these forums who have been members of the PunksBusted or PBBans team to any level above just being a streaming server admin, that would be really useful.

It seems strange at this early stage to talk about security as this project/idea may not even get off the ground, but I think we need to ensure that people are aware of who we are dealing with. That is why I have stated my case above, there's a lot of personal information on my profile on these forums - so you can be sure who I am.

As such we would need to ensure that people who come on board with this project are trustworthy, as such, if it seems a bit heavy handed, bureaucratic in it's processes then I apologise, but we need to unsure that the system is trustworthy, run by trustworthy people.

• Like 3

No. Just no.

I might then turn some admin into a RAGE after stealing his car/loot etc. and he could just put me in the list to get me banned from most of the servers there.

If there will be such a list, of course. I would like it to happen ONLY AND IF the admins of their servers WILL NOT have the ability to play on them.

This is getting out of hand, completely. I was banned from 6 servers now, for killing admin and/or his friends. And also for stealing cars that I've found which cointained a lot of stuff that didn't really seem legit. By this I mean tons of hi-end weapons such as 10x L85, 19x Ghillies, you get the idea.

And all the time I was banned/kicked for doing anything to the stashes/closing in to them/being seen by the admins who were afraid to lose their stuff.

I vote against admins having rights and/or privileges in this game. I see that giving an Admin an option to kick/ban player without a real proof is too much for us, the people having fun, doing what this game was designed for.

This opinion of mines was left on some boards before, and was quickly thumbed down. I hope to find some open-minded people here. Have a good day.

Edited by Deathunt
  • Like 1

No. Just no.

I might then turn some admin into a RAGE after stealing his car/loot etc. and he could just put me in the list to get me banned from most of the servers there.

If there would be such a list, however. I would like it to happen ONLY AND IF the admins of their servers WILL NOT have the ability to play on them.

This is getting out of hand, completely. I was banned from 6 servers now, for killing admin and/or his friends. And also for stealing cars that I've found which cointained a lot of stuff that didn't really seem legit. By this I mean tons of hi-end weapons such as 10x L85, 19x Ghillies, you get the idea.

And all the time I was banned/kicked for doing anything to the stashes/closing in to them/being seen by the admins who were afraid to lose their stuff.

I vote against admins having rights and/or privileges in this game. I see that giving an Admin an option to kick/ban player without a real proof is too much for us, the people having fun doing what this game was designed for.

This opinion of mines was left on some boards before, and was quickly thumbed down. I hope to find some open-minded people here. Have a good day.

This is about detected cheats in the log files - not bans added in a moment of passion.

This is about detected cheats in the log files.

BattlEye is going to have to start catching them then.

BattlEye is going to have to start catching them then.

Everything is logged - this is about server admins having somewhere to add the cheats they find in their log files. BE will never detect as the script for all intents and purposes are allowed in the normal scenario. Cheats are exploiting them for their own purposes.

I've looked through my logs several times after seeing vehicles spawning (like 5 buses in 10 seconds), being thunderdomed and being sent off to Misty Peak (like thunderdome but the ground is covered in bear traps) with basically nothing in the scripts.log

I see everyone being transported but not who initialized the move.

If they're injecting code, like I've watched in a youtube vid the other day, they aren't running a script for BE to see.

This is why it is a great idea for Rocket to tell Bio to let them see the names of people getting killed, you were killed by "this person", or "this person" was teleported by "this person", or the flying cows are being created by "this person". This would tell you who is mass killing people or anyone that is cheating and then the admins can ban these people and Rocket can perma ban the ip's so these people can not re purchase DayZ.

Edited by Pure

This is about detected cheats in the log files - not bans added in a moment of passion.

Sure, but when a "CHITOR KID SCRIPTIE FOR SUR" will be added into the list, nobody will ever check if he's the real cheater or the admin is actually making sure he won't ever see that guy again.

This is why it is a great idea for Rocket to tell Bio to let them see the names of people getting killed by, yoou were killed by such and such. This would tell you who is mass killing people and this would be one easy way.

This should stay in the logs. I wouldn't like a group I killed to see my name. They might actually start hunting me then. And I am not the kind that changes his name every single time after play.

I've looked through my logs several times after seeing vehicles spawning (like 5 buses in 10 seconds), being thunderdomed and being sent off to Misty Peak (like thunderdome but the ground is covered in bear traps) with basically nothing in the scripts.log

If they're injecting code, like I've watched in a youtube vid the other day, they aren't running a script for BE to see.

We can only go on what we see, during discussions we also talked about extending this to video reviews, but lets see if there's enough interest to set this up in the first place and get everything in motion, before we look at that.

Sure, but when a "CHITOR KID SCRIPTIE FOR SUR" will be added into the list, nobody will ever check if he's the real cheater or the admin is actually making sure he won't ever see that guy again.

Not sure what you are on about mate - part of adding to the master ban list is providing the log file entry.

Just install BEC and use its built in reporter to connect to the pre-existing BEC BAN DATABASE.

Note you cannot add your own bans to this Database so no dodgy admins getting rage.

Seriously, go do this.

Those hacks are used by Battleye bypasses and avoid the detection allowing the user to enter all kinds of code.

Those hacks are used by Battleye bypasses and avoid the detection allowing the user to enter all kinds of code.

Just install BEC and use its built in reporter to connect to the pre-existing BEC BAN DATABASE.

Note you cannot add your own bans to this Database so no dodgy admins getting rage.

Seriously, go do this.

This sounds interesting can you give a link?

Seriously, go do this.

I've not tried your tool (so too speak - lol) firstly the reason I think this differs is because you require a reporting scenario which some people just won't have that level of access to their server. This system would require no installation and would be open to the server admin community not a locked hidden database.

I would like this to be by admins for admins.

I had a similar idea and applaud your efforts.

I think the greatest problem right now is lack of tools.

Getting proof of cheating is like finding rocking horse poo at the moment.

Those scripting without a bypass will majoritly get picked up by BE and banned anyway though yes we will get a few here and there which is always worth it.

In all honesty though a few simple features will give a huge increase to detection if we could just see what was happening on our servers.

Basically give us information!!

While we wait for a more secure stand alone or a major patch to secure the engine give us the tools to manually police our servers.

Power in numbers :)

No. Just no.

[...] I would like it to happen ONLY AND IF the admins of their servers WILL NOT have the ability to play on them.

This is getting out of hand, completely. I was banned from 6 servers now, for killing admin and/or his friends.[...]

1) You are fucking kidding. You are really want to have people to pay for servers and the should not have the ability to play on it, while paying for them? WOW!

2) You really must be a high skilled player, or maybe a cheater.... who knows.

3) Get your own server, pay for it and stop crying.

There's 17 yes's for server admins and 4 yes's for players who want to play on server running a group ban list.

It's not a resounding "let's do it", but it's early days. Given the impetus appears to be towards the standalone version of the game and little is going to be done with the mod I wonder if any effort is worth it?

I guess the full version of the game will have anti-cheat (please Lord not BattlEye!) I suppose we just carry on as normal for the moment.

Just alt-f4 if you get thunderdomed, godmode, teleported, polymorphed etc...

These discussions always sound like our Canadian legal system, protect the criminals punish the police! we pay to host the servers FOR YOU PEOPLE, were trying to protect YOU and US in the process but as many can see its becoming a more and more convoluted debate between illegitimate bans and illegitimate players, its hard to detect them and normally they have done their damage by the time we can do anything. Any step forward is a good direction if you ask me, at least some people are trying to do something productive other than whine about cheaters and then whine about admins, who pay out of pocket to help the community and of course try to give themselves a little control over Their game play doesn't seem that unreasonable, IE(being able to kick/ban hackers that appear while in game, rather than having to get raped and send off an email hoping that days/weeks later this unknown player maybe will get his just desserts) you don't like it? I would suggest shelling out 30 some odd dollars and getting yourself a server. /end rant

edit, I'm in xD, also I thought there was a similar system already in place in google code, by Dwarden and the Day Z community

Edited by JackONeill