Lillo

Introduce slumber...and many other ideas

I'd add an involuntary audible yawn (that can aggro Z's) to the lack of sleep.

The reason the Z's seem to move herky-jerky and superfast is because Rocket increased the distance they travel without adjusting the animation keyframes or timing... once the devs redo the Z's animations and key in on the appropriate speeds of various movements, the animations will be smooth and flow naturally without looking like the Z's phase in and out of existence or zigzag without turning, etc.

Concerning star-based navigation, I'm all for it.

About seeing "ghosts" when sleep deprived... that's a bit off. Instead, making dark "shadows" or "blur" at the corners of your vision is not only far easier technically but also more realistic... imagine seeing just a faint blur of shadow moving in a player movement style at the corner of your vision ingame... you wouldn't be able to effectively shrug it off as "oh I'm just tired so it's the game spawning fake ghosts on me"... instead you'd not know if it was another player moving nearby or not...

Concerning the unlimited ability to sprint, I definitely believe that a "stamina" value should be configured. Stamina is weakened by lack of sleep, water, food, or appropriate clothing (temperature/environmental conditions causing reduced physical capabilities). This also allows the ability for one to "train" their bodies... which increases their stamina value. Assumptions can be made that all survivors are good at running, and have relatively fit bodies, due to the fact that the infection is already past a plague-level pandemic and if you've survived this long you HAVE to be relatively fit. So, no fatties. ;P

Being wounded would also temporarily reduce the maximum level of stamina for a period of time... this has the added realism that if you were just shot then fixed up by Doc Wasteland's crew, you're not immediately "back to 100%". Instead, you must "take it easy" for a few days. You tire easier, and cannot run as fast, etc. Very slowly, your stamina maximum level regenerates to normal. This alone adds countless new variables to the gameplay and is a game-changer.

-- Daerk

I don't like the yawn idea personally.

But the other ideas are good, I am thinking to add some of these ones in my topic

Your idea sounds interesting. I could add it in my post.

I think it is the sort of thing that could be added in in the not too long term... since it is more akin to choosing a 'loadout' than a particular 'class' the ability to get better at a skill etc as suggested in your first post would be great IMO but I think it would require a lot more to implement. ie - a longer term addition.

Also I mentioned in passing a 'questionnaire'. I had a Mount and Blade style thing in mind... It could go something like; Gender, Previous Occupation, Hobby, etc. Each would have a subtle effect on your character.

Just Updated.

Added a new feature in number seven 7) Misc:

- Possibility to hide objects by putting them into a box and dig it underground

I agree with some I dont like "Specializations" and Zombies should be MUCH slower and should not weave so much, Zombies should be easier to kill because there mindless fucktards, Doing more damge yes because they should be 1 shot= DEATH, Slumber should also ease longterm pain suffered from a gun shot or fracture, instead of just take morphine or painkillers and BOOM instant fix, they should be a temporary fix and when you sleep they get completly healed.

I agree with some I dont like "Specializations" and Zombies should be MUCH slower and should not weave so much, Zombies should be easier to kill because there mindless fucktards, Doing more damge yes because they should be 1 shot= DEATH, Slumber should also ease longterm pain suffered from a gun shot or fracture, instead of just take morphine or painkillers and BOOM instant fix, they should be a temporary fix and when you sleep they get completly healed.

Yes, let's totally make the zombies like stupid teenage girls who are lost at the parking lot and can't find their car.

Look, it seems your missing the point. DayZ isn't supposed to be easy, so get over it. You want the zombies to be slower, and 1 shot kill, when in reality, you're basically making it like a slasher game where you never die, you just have to kill whordes and whordes of enemies until finally you get to the next level.

The fact that some people want it to be easier, actually implies that it should stay where it is, seeing as this "game" is supposed to be HARD *gasp* for a change, and some people just want to feel more threatened.

To what I compare you saying is like people asking EVERY single minecraft item to be easily accessible. Do you know what that does to server economy? It ruins it because some items are supposed to be rare.

The point is, if you don't like it, oh well, play or get out, and I think the fact you and others don't like it and that you and I see the zombies as a potential threat means that rocket did a wonderful job when he spawned them.

Just to make sure, don't come to me about realism as an excuse for this either. In reality, no one knows how a zombie would act, because they don't exist. I say if they did most likely their horrible case of underconcentration giving them their one-track-mind might let them ignore said bullet wounds especially since all their nerves are dead.

Actually, if you want to make it really realistic, make us have to chop their head off or shoot them in their vital points to kill them, instead of taking it to their small intestines.

I'm on your case because you're complaining on a feature that is perfectly fine, and one you should appreciate, and because basically you'd be nerfing zombies to the point where you NEVER need to worry about them again. Think about it, why were the guns nerfed recently?

About the rest of whatever you said, the OP says sleep for 5-8 minutes. Hm....

(I'm just having fun, this part won't be on your case, atleast not intentionally)

rocket: "attention all dayz fans, you can now heal your fractures and broken bones by taking a short lie down! That's right, lie down, go to the bathroom, get the mail, and when you get back, boom! Instant healage! Remember, things like morphine, a powerful powerful painkiller that makes you feel like your treading air, and painkillers only go so far, so take a nap today!"

I think it's a good base idea.

Instead of sleep healing, because in reality it would take about half a week to a day, I do agree morphine and painkillers should only go so far, but finding some cloth and wood and making a splint seems like it is much better. Of course you'd have to have it on for a good period of time. If someone says that's inconvenient, boo-freaking-hoo, because it teaches you not to break your bones again.

Words for everyone not in regards to the splint idea: DayZ, it's up to you to survive, so whatever the developer throws at you is yours to handle and overcome. Don't whine about it.

About the gunshot part of your post, that makes me think of the bullet magically sliding out of your body when you are sleeping. So what should we do? That's simple, have the option to remove the bullet. You need a bandage afterward, and depending on what you use, (hands, sterilized tools from a hospital, ect) you lose a certain amount of blood.

Don't think I don't like your anti-painkiller idea, because I do, but not the way where you take a nappy-nap and everything gets all better. It has to be more gritty.

Edited by OW22
  • Like 1

Sleeping seems kind of pointless. The average life expectancy of DayZ is like an hour.. People aren't going to want to spend their time playing this game sleeping when most people only live for about an hour.

I'd like to start off by saying you have quite a few good ideas listed here, I am going to give my opinion on some points.

3) Introducing Specialties:

- Don't get me wrong, I don't want a perk system like COD or Fallout

- Only 2 Specialties: Medic, who can heal a little bit more health point than normal and Mechanic, who can repair vehicles and weapons (if one day there will be a weapon consumption feature)

- Specialties should be earned through practice, so that a player experienced in healing squadmates finally should be able to become a Medic and to heal more health points for example (same thing then for mechanics that could repair a vehicle faster or to make weapons more durable)

- In other words, the main aim of Specialties is to difference players slightly, without compromise the balance of gameplay

- (UPDATE) A medic could do a successful blood transfusion without risk of infection, a marathon runner or athlete would be better at running and vaulting, also depending of the weight he's carrying (this idea was suggested by OW22)

- (UPDATE) What about introducing some sort of questionnaire (gender at the beginning, previous occupation, obby, etc.). Depending on which character will be created through this questionnaire, players could have different loadout and spawn location. For example a mechanic may have a jerrycan, engine parts and a crowbar and spawn in house near a factory. A tourist may spawn in a house in a small coastal town or on the beach with a flashlight, beans, pepsi and a coyote backpack. A farmer may spawn in a barn with a hatchet, cooked meat and a couple of 2rnd slugs. Then you could have also have medic, policeman etc. Varying starting skins reflecting this could also be used and no further gameplay alterations are made (this idea was suggested by NobleBrutus)

I personally don't like the idea of being specialized, but I believe the best way of going about what you are aiming for is have player's not able to carry every item they will need ever. So essentially it would take a team of let's say a guard, a medic, and an engineer to maintain a small crew properly.

6) Map:

- Possibility to view the map together with your mates (one man or the whole team) if they are close enough, in order to set attack plans, routes, rendez-vouz, ecc

- In this case should be introduced some kind of indicator while viewing the map together, such as a hand with a finger or similar, in order to make your mates understand what to do and where to go

- What about Ursa Major/Minor and Polar Star?

- (UPDATE) Label function with possibility to make notes and mark points on the map. Possibility to draw arrows from one point to another (this idea was suggested by Moofactory)

Map viewing together is an interesting concept and I would like to see the ability to mark just your personal map.

You may want to try looking harder my friend, Ursa Major/Minor and the North Star are already there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqelc7x70vQ

7) Misc:

- Addition of actions like playing guitar around a fireplace or play cards with your mates during dead moments (I know this sounds weird or stupid, not all of you will be agree so let me know what do you think)

This is interesting and adds an amount of realism but I wouldn't count on its implementation soon.

- Remove flying vehicles: in a post-apocalyptic world, a player would logically escape from the island as soon as possible. This doesn't have sense if someone wants to play this game

I disagree that all flying vehicles would escape. They still need fuel and where better to find fuel than Chernarus. Also, heli's add options to gameplay style and quick transportation. They already require fuel and maintainence which is good in my book. They provide more endgame for geared out players.

- Possibility to block windows and doors using wooden beams or other objects like a wardrobe, couch or armchair

This is a nice idea and will more than likely be a part of the standalone.

- Introduce weapon consumption

Weapon consumption should be approached delicately because weapons don't actually degrade that often in real life. I have heard better alternatives like the requirement of cleaning them every once and a while or else they jam.

- (UPDATE) What about lockpicking? (this idea was suggested by OW22)

Lock picking if ever added should be an ability that can be done by anyone with the proper skills (slight of hand,etc), not the proper stats. I believe gaining stats or perks ruins the realism and the equality already established.

Overall, some great ideas. I love the idea of sleep and would like to add that maybe with sleep deprivation you start to hallucinate. Hallucinations could be random sounds of seeing zoms or vehicles that aren't there. Eventually you would pass out from exhaustion.

• Like 1

I'd like to start off by saying you have quite a few good ideas listed here, I am going to give my opinion on some points.

I personally don't like the idea of being specialized, but I believe the best way of going about what you are aiming for is have player's not able to carry every item they will need ever. So essentially it would take a team of let's say a guard, a medic, and an engineer to maintain a small crew properly.

Map viewing together is an interesting concept and I would like to see the ability to mark just your personal map.

You may want to try looking harder my friend, Ursa Major/Minor and the North Star are already there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqelc7x70vQ

This is interesting and adds an amount of realism but I wouldn't count on its implementation soon.

I disagree that all flying vehicles would escape. They still need fuel and where better to find fuel than Chernarus. Also, heli's add options to gameplay style and quick transportation. They already require fuel and maintainence which is good in my book. They provide more endgame for geared out players.

This is a nice idea and will more than likely be a part of the standalone.

Weapon consumption should be approached delicately because weapons don't actually degrade that often in real life. I have heard better alternatives like the requirement of cleaning them every once and a while or else they jam.

Lock picking if ever added should be an ability that can be done by anyone with the proper skills (slight of hand,etc), not the proper stats. I believe gaining stats or perks ruins the realism and the equality already established.

Overall, some great ideas. I love the idea of sleep and would like to add that maybe with sleep deprivation you start to hallucinate. Hallucinations could be random sounds of seeing zoms or vehicles that aren't there. Eventually you would pass out from exhaustion.

Thanks for replying and for making me notice that Ursa Minor/Major are already in the game.

I like the idea of cleaning the weapon, probably a better idea than consumption.

About removing flying vehicles, I don't know what to think. If I were in an island full of zombies and suddenly I found an helicopter, I would use it to escape from the island. So why keep staying in the island? It doesn't have sense.

Personal opinion, maybe in the standalone things could change.

Sleeping seems kind of pointless. The average life expectancy of DayZ is like an hour.. People aren't going to want to spend their time playing this game sleeping when most people only live for about an hour.

Well, you don't have to sleep for hours.

I wrote player should sleep for few minutes after all.

Thanks for replying and for making me notice that Ursa Minor/Major are already in the game.

I like the idea of cleaning the weapon, probably a better idea than consumption.

About removing flying vehicles, I don't know what to think. If I were in an island full of zombies and suddenly I found an helicopter, I would use it to escape from the island. So why keep staying in the island? It doesn't have sense.

Personal opinion, maybe in the standalone things could change.

Chernarus isn't necessarily an island. It is actually part of the real world http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48159-chernarus-in-real/

Imagine if you could access the dayz forums while in-game by finding a computer....

• Like 1

Imagine if you could access the dayz forums while in-game by finding a computer....

Eheheheh, why not?

It could be funny.

Edited by Lillo

Can somebody explain me what will be the utility of the dog in the next update?

What about season alternance?