Sign in to follow this  
b00ce

Winchester magazines

I think that the Winchester needs to use the 8 round M1014 "magazines". This would make it fall more in line with the other shotguns in terms of performance and also help with logistics, so players aren't scrounging for 8 round magazines when there are 15 rounders laying around EVERYWHERE. Another issue is that having 15 rounds in the magazine doesn't make much sense, because the barrel alone would have to be almost 4 feet long to accommodate the shells. Did they have some sort of quantum magazine way back in the 1860's? lol

Depends which model, alot of Winchester rifles can actually hold upwards from Eight to even fifteen rounds. It's a long rifle, not a shotgun - One that's actually loaded very similar to a Red-Ryder BB gun.

I'm well aware of how a Winchester is loaded, in a tube magazine under the barrel. The Winchester in game fires the same shotgun shell size as the M1014 and 870MCS. The Winchester 1866 is no longer than either of the two, therefore the magazine sizes should be similar.

Edit:

I am well aware that the 1866 is not a shotgun IRL, however it is portrayed as one in game.

I'm well aware of how a Winchester is loaded' date=' in a tube magazine under the barrel. The Winchester in game fires the same shotgun shell size as the M1014 and 870MCS. The Winchester 1866 is no longer than either of the two, therefore the magazine sizes should be similar.

Edit:

I am well aware that the 1866 is not a shotgun IRL, however it is portrayed as one in game.

[/quote']

That's odd, you'd think it would use a snipers string-line, minus the scope. (The bolt pull covering for the cocking).

Do you not know how a lever action works? :huh:

action-leverlrg.gif

I don't think I implied that anywhere? I believe I was talking more about GAME-CODE than caring about how a gun from the 1800s works..

I was saying how I'd imagine it working better with the same code as a bolt action, Minus the scope. The bolt pull timing/animation to compensate for cocking the lever.

Don't try to act smart on the internet, especially not to people who are actually..You know. Trying to help you.

Edit: My dumb-self misspelled Lever, +1 websters eh?

I think the ammo type is a little too abundant for this single gun, it's all you ever find anywhere and makes it the most sought after gun merely for its high clip size, low sound, plentiful ammo and decent range.

I like it and know my group loves it but it seems to get a few too many perks and no drawback.

Winchester is easily the most practical primary for survival purposes. Nerf it.

For the sake of realism and Arma Mil Sim circle jerking the Winchester 1866 is reported to have a fired a .44 Henry round.

Wikipedia states that the .44 Henry is roughly the ballistic equivalent of the modern day .45 ACP bullet that you would find in the 1911 and revolver. Wikipedia also states that "The resulting effective range for military or small medium game would be well under 100 yards." with the .44 Henry round.

I couldn't find information about the ammunition capacity of it but I DID find a modern replica that uses a different caliber bullet that holds 13 shells. I am not doubting the capacity of the Winchester 1866. And today I put damn near 6 of the things into a guy from a pretty good distance and he said he jumped off the roof because he had no bandages left. BUT within that 100 yard range it is pretty decent but at range it is lacking in stopping power which seems very accurate to how it would be IRL.

I just wish they would take the buckshot away from it and give it to the Remington 870 giving a reason to choose the 870 over the Winchester besides the flashlight.

When you compare the Remington 870's slug versus the Winchester the Winchester has a superior rifle sight and holds twice as much.

Keep the buckshot for the Remington. Make the Winchester have slugs only.

I don't think I implied that anywhere? I believe I was talking more about GAME-CODE than caring about how a gun from the 1800s works..

I was saying how I'd imagine it working better with the same code as a bolt action' date=' Minus the scope. The bolt pull timing/animation to compensate for cocking the lever.

Don't try to act smart on the internet, especially not to people who are actually..You know. Trying to help you.

Edit: My dumb-self misspelled Lever, +1 websters eh?

[/quote']

No need to bite my head off over a misunderstanding.

I was talking about how the magazine would have to be a mile long to accommodate the shells. Not only that, ArmA doesn't support (At least to my knowledge) hand animations like that for cocking between shots. There are animations for the bolt itself but none for the hands. There would have to be an entry in the model.cfg and the lever/bolt would need to be named and the axises for the movement would need to be in the memory LoD for the lever to move between shots.

Here's a fairly average weapon config entry (different from the model.cfg which is baked into the model when binarized) for a rifle with a secondary grenade launcher attachment.

class m41a : m16a2gl {
DisplayName = "M41A Pulse Rifle";
Model = "\m41a_pulse_rifle\models\m41a.p3d";
Picture = "\m41a_pulse_rifle\materials\pr_icon.paa";
Magazines[] = {"99Rnd_PulseRifle","95Rnd_PulseRifle"};
Modes[] = {"Semi","Burst","FullAuto"};
Muzzles[] = {"this","M41_GL"};
class Semi : Mode_SemiAuto {
AiRateOfFire = 1;
ReloadTime=0.0667; /Rate of fire
AiRateOfFireDistance = 550;
Dispersion = 0.00175;
MaxRange = 500;
MaxRangeProbab = 0.1;
MidRange = 200;
MidRangeProbab = 0.5;
MinRange = 0;
MinRangeProbab = 0.7;
Recoil = "scar_lrecoil";
Recoilprone = "scar_lrecoilprone";
Begin1[] = {"\m41a_pulse_rifle\sound\pulseend_01.wav",1.77828,1,1100};
Begin2[] = {"\m41a_pulse_rifle\sound\pulseend_03.wav",1.77828,1,1100};
Begin3[] = {"\m41a_pulse_rifle\sound\pulseend_04.wav",1.77828,1,1100};
SoundBegin[] = {"begin1",0,"begin2",0,"begin3",1};
};
class FullAuto : Mode_FullAuto {
AiRateOfFire = 1;
ReloadTime=0.0667;
Dispersion = 0.00175;
MaxRange = 500;
MaxRangeProbab = 0.1;
MidRange = 200;
MidRangeProbab = 0.5;
MinRange = 0;
MinRangeProbab = 0.7;
Recoil = "scar_lrecoil";
Begin1[] = {"\m41a_pulse_rifle\sound\pulseend_01.wav",1.77828,1,1100};
Begin2[] = {"\m41a_pulse_rifle\sound\pulseend_03.wav",1.77828,1,1100};
Begin3[] = {"\m41a_pulse_rifle\sound\pulseend_04.wav",1.77828,1,1100};
SoundBegin[] = {"begin1",0,"begin2",0,"begin3",1};
};
class Burst : Mode_Burst {
ReloadTime = 0.0667;
Burst = 4;
AiRateOfFire = 1;
Dispersion = 0.00175;
MaxRange = 500;
MaxRangeProbab = 0.1;
MidRange = 200;
MidRangeProbab = 0.5;
MinRange = 0;
MinRangeProbab = 0.7;
Recoil = "scar_lrecoil";
Begin1[] = {"\m41a_pulse_rifle\sound\Burst1.wav",1.77828,1,1100};
Begin2[] = {"\m41a_pulse_rifle\sound\Burst3.wav",1.77828,1,1100};
Begin3[] = {"\m41a_pulse_rifle\sound\Burst2.wav",1.77828,1,1100};
SoundBegin[] = {"begin1",0.34,"begin2",0.33,"begin3",0.33};
SoundBurst = 1;
SoundContinuous = 0;
};
class M41_GL : M203Muzzle {
DisplayName="M41GL";
Magazines[]={"4Rnd_M38_HE","4Rnd_M60_SMK","4Rnd_M60_SMK_Red","4Rnd_M60_SMK_Green","4Rnd_M108_Shot","4Rnd_M72_White","4Rnd_M72_Red","4Rnd_M72_Green"};
Sound[] = {"\m41a_pulse_rifle\sound\grenade_fire.wav",0.1,1,700};
MagazineReloadTime=0;
ReloadTime=0.1;
Optics=1;
ModelOptics="-";
CameraDir="GL look";
MemoryPointCamera="GL eye";
OpticsZoomMin=0.25;
OpticsZoomMax=1.1;
OpticsZoomInit=0.5;
};
};

Basically the bolt animation in the model.cfg is called when the gun shoots/reloads. Not that you needed a lecture on how the game works.

The solution here isn't to nerf the Winchester, but to give NATO weapons the same spawn viability of the hunting rifles. At present it is much smarter to spend twenty minutes clearing a few barns for a cz, enfield or Winchester and actually get one with two or three clips of ammo than trek all the way to the highly dangerous airfields to get seven different types of single unique ammo magazines, find one NATO weapon without ammo and one AKM with one magazine. Players should be rewarded for entering into dangerous militarized zones with better rewards. The only thing that should be changed about the Winchester is that it should be the same loudness as the enfield and cz. Also, the M1 auto shotgun is 12 gauge and isn't able to use Winchester ammo (12 gauge). Equalizing the shotgun ammo across all the shotguns would then place much greater emphasis on the actual gun you're firing from, and you'll find players wanting to upgrade to the Remington or M1 instead of just always running the Winnie.

It isn't a nerf, it's making it more realistic and increasing the viability of the other shotguns.

i think thats a good idea.

I would rather see something like Browning Maxus from http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12338 instead of winchester - more casual 5 gauges mag, and much better fit modern era and situation.

For now, imho, theres no point in carrying remington m1014 and benelli 870 (even if thers flashlight and higher fire rate) as far as winchester has 15 rnds mag and its ammo much more common. So basicly, if you have got 3-5 winch mags you dont need to care about ammo for next couple hours.

Some time ago, i spawned near electro, found winch and went north along the coast, shooting everything i could kill. In about 2 hours i killed more than 400 z's and never had lack of ammo.

I would rather see something like Browning Maxus from http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12338 instead of winchester - more casual 5 gauges mag' date=' and much better fit modern era and situation.

For now, imho, theres no point in carrying remington m1014 and benelli 870 (even if thers flashlight and higher fire rate) as far as winchester has 15 rnds mag and its ammo much more common. So basicly, if you have got 3-5 winch mags you dont need to care about ammo for next couple hours.

Some time ago, i spawned near electro, found winch and went north along the coast, shooting everything i could kill. In about 2 hours i killed more than 400 z's and never had lack of ammo.

[/quote']

Which is one of the reasons why I think the Winchester should be using the 8 round 1014 mag. It makes the other shotguns much more viable as weapons because there would be tangible benefits of using them. (On top of being more realistic) As for the other shotguns, Rocket would need to gain permission from the original addon maker to include it in DayZ.

' pid='7120' dateline='1335973528']

i think thats a good idea.

Making it shoot only slugs for the sole reason that it has a good sight does not a good idea make. Maybe for the reason below, but that doesn't fix the issue that you'd still be picking up shotgun shells. Changing the magazines over to the 1014 magazines would solve the issue of the 1866 being too good and make ammo for the other shotguns more plentiful.