Sign in to follow this  
Private Poptarts

Quick question about zeroing.

We all know that if your gun is zeroed at 300, the bullet will fly straight to that point and after that, you get bullet drop. If you zero your weapon at 800, it will shoot straight to that point and again after that, you get bullet drop.

But if you shoot a gun, zeroed at 800, at a target which is closer than 800 meters, will it shoot straight to it or fly over?

Thanks!

It would fly over the target.

It depends which weapon you are using, if you are talking about the as50 or 107, you will have to fire slightly below the target if its within 200 meters or so, or it will pass over.

Theres no reason not to adjust constantly if you are sniping, even a missmatch of 100 meters is gonna make you fail the shit, you could use mildots to calculate the distance if you dont want to waste time pulling out the rangefinder whenever your target moves.

Edited by Suspenselol
  • Like 1

Anyways zeroing at 800 and shooting at 300 probably will end in an missing shot anyways. I wasnt sure about it flys up or down...

When you Zero a weapon you are saying "at this range, hit at this point". You are not saying "hit at this point regardless of the range". Assuming you Zero at 300m, your bullet will strike the target high when your closer, and lower on the target when your further away. Zero your gun based on average engagement range.

It would fly over the target.

It depends which weapon you are using, if you are talking about the as50 or 107, you will have to fire slightly below the target if its within 200 meters or so, or it will pass over.

Theres no reason not to adjust constantly if you are sniping, even a missmatch of 100 meters is gonna make you fail the shit, you could use mildots to calculate the distance if you dont want to waste time pulling out the rangefinder whenever your target moves.

CZ550 doesn't have much measuring method, so that's why I was wondering. I'd love the PSO, but it is "kind of" rare.

Though it is kind of obvious that zeroing to 800 and shooting at a target less than that is a miss. I'd imagine it flies over?

Zeroing basically just angles your sight downwards, forcing the barrel slightly higher, so yeah the bullet would go over the target as you're now firing in a slight arc to get the bullet to go further.

Also if youre gonna be static for a fair amount of time, make some quick notes on noteable object ranges in your firing lines, for quick and fast rangefinding. If you dont have a rangefinder, try placing a map marker (shift + left click on map) if your server has it enabled.

• Like 2

100 meters is gonna make you fail the shit, you could use mildots to calculate the distance if you dont want to waste time pulling out the rangefinder whenever your target moves.

Fail the shit! Epic typo xD
  • Like 1

As others said, it will fly over, a great way to practice shooting is to download this map/mod and put it in you arma II folder. It is a shooting range which allows you to easily use targets for practice with any arma weapon. It's a great and practical way to learn the DayZ weapons!

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14616

• Like 2

Zeroing basically just angles your sight downwards, forcing the barrel slightly higher, so yeah the bullet would go over the target as you're now firing in a slight arc to get the bullet to go further.

Also if youre gonna be static for a fair amount of time, make some quick notes on noteable object ranges in your firing lines, for quick and fast rangefinding. If you dont have a rangefinder, try placing a map marker (shift + left click on map) if your server has it enabled.

I've seen the waypoint method used but think it is kind of like "cheating", though it is an in-game feature.

On the map, one big square is 1km, and the small ones 100m, correct? I've been thinking of using this to guesstimate range (with the CZ550 atleast, until I find something better again).

Edited by Private Poptarts

Quick question, how do you actually zero the weapon? could never figure it out!

Quick question, how do you actually zero the weapon? could never figure it out!

Some weapons let you set the zeroing with the page up and page down keys, otherwise you'll have to use mildots. Check the wiki for dot ranges per weapon.