failure_always_sounded_better@hotmail.co.uk

Issues before even purchasing ArmA, anyone willing to help

I've come to you guys because I feel like you will best be able to help me.

I am seriously on the edge of my seat with anticipation for playing this game, but I have a few issues. I have looked around but can't find any definitive answers on steam, or the games community boards

Ok here goes;

If I get the free version of ArmA 2 can I use a purchased copy of Operation Arrowhead and Day Z on it? Or do I need the purchasable copy?

Also I have notcied I can get a copy of ArmA 2 Cmobined Ops for a cheaper price if I don't buy it on steam and go here instead https://store.bistudio.com/arma2-combined-operations/

If I do this can I still run it on steam and then play Day Z with it the same way I would if I bought the steam version?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me

Connar :)

Hard copy from BIS doesn't work with steam. You will not be able to buy DLC (not that there will be anymore, but PMC makes the skins look WAY better) from steam and have it work.

If you buy from the bistudio.com you are giving money directly to the Devs, and non to third party.

Stop being so fucking cheap and buy ArmA 2 CO.

You *can* use a free copy with OA, but you'll lose the HD textures.

I bout Combined Ops from Amazon for $15 and Steam doesn't recognize the keys. However, it can still be added to steam as a non-steam game.

Hard copy from BIS doesn't work with steam. You will not be able to buy DLC (not that there will be anymore' date=' but PMC makes the skins look WAY better) from steam and have it work.

If you buy from the bistudio.com you are giving money directly to the Devs, and non to third party.

[/quote']

I'm not beingcheap I was just wondering as I am bit short of money atm and wanted to know what was the best way to get the game.

So are you saying if I go through sprocket and get a digital copy it's exactly the same as buying it on steam (same installation and mod installation) but the devs get more money?

I'm sorry if I sound retarded, I'm just so used to steam

If you buy from the bistudio.com you are giving money directly to the Devs' date=' and non to third party.

[/quote']

+1

+1

Buy from here

https://store.bistudio.com/arma2-combined-operations $32.99

and if you want high textured skins buy PMC (Private Military Contractors) DLC here

https://store.bistudio.com/arma2-private-military-company $11.99

and all proceeds go directly to Bohemia Interactive (worth supporting cause they actually give a shit about their community unlike scumbag companies like ea/codmasters etc etc)

If you are really that hard up I'll buy them for you, create an account at BI's store, give me your login details and I'll purchase them, I'll pm you when they have been purchased and you can login and download them and change your password.

(there is no 'gift' feature at BI's store so its really the only way)

yes if you buy via sprocket the devs will see more of a chunk, same exact game etc, just you'll have to add it as a non steam game to launch via steam

Guys, I really don't want to see people getting all on peoples asses if they can't afford certain games and have to resort to buying only half or on another website.

I have no idea if Arma II Free with Steam OA will work or not, but it may be worth a shot right?

OH please! Half you people are giving out the WRONG info here.

This guide will assume you are capable of making sure your fully patched upto date and know how to install the Dayz mod.

Option 1 cheapest.

You need Arma II reinforcements As your first choice. That's British armed forces, Private military company and Operation Arrowhead lite (lite for OA just means No single player missions, you still get full textures unlike Arma II lite). This however is retail DVD only. most stores will have a copy I got Mine from Game for £9.99.

You then download and Install Arma II lite, All you really need for the mod is the Chernarus Map contained within.

Install and run this http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8241 The Arma II launcher. On the launch options tab Choose the locations of the exe's for Arma II and Aram II OA, But if you have The disk I mention it'll be the arma2rft exe you choose for OA.

Install the Mod in the same method everyone else does but into the Reinforcements main directory. Add the -mod=@dayz to the Additional Parameters part of the launcher. and choose the Game version at the bottom right as Arma II - CO. click start game and your golden.

*Note* this launcher will work with the Steam versions. It will also allow you to run the games without steam running. This is not a hack etc, Steam is a distribution method not DRM for Arma II. Arma II contains it's Own DRM. It will also allow you to mix and match between Steam and retail version. And allow you to run the Beta Patch also.

Option 2

Buy AO from steam or Sprocket. install Arma II lite from either steam or direct from the BI website. this will work again with the launcher, downside to this is you have Low res PMC and BAF textures from only having the lite versions. However the mod is totally playable. for the price of 1 game. the rest of the set up for this option is the same just you substitute the arma2rft.exe for the arma2oa.exe.

there pretty much is the easiest way to get in the mod. there is nothing stopping you from upgrading the versions later depending on which you choose. the launcher will detect and launch any version of the game and even add the dlc.s from the BI website to the steam versions. it is that versatile.

Connarhea hang in there a second I'm going to write you a full guide on the cheapest way to get this mod running. I'll be editing this post.

Cheapest is the best' date=' cheap shoes cost some community in a poor nation, they are badly made meaning they will be in landfill very quickly and made from toxic crap.... future cost on our grand kids is 10 fold minimum... yes yes it not exactly the same but cheap products come at someones expense.

I will buy Connarhea a digital copy of A2CO and PMC from BI direct, that will also save potential lost hard copies and the major hassle of running ArmA off steam which all ArmA vets know can be a disaster.

edit:

It works fucking fine you imbeciles.

What the fuk are you on about?

I used the free version of Aram 2 w/ the steam purchased version of Operation Arrowhead and it worked just fine. You'll have crappier graphics (low res) but it still worked very well. Last week, because of this mod, I purchased the retail version of Arma 2 from Steam and it works the same as before but now it is sexier.

My advice would be if you haven't bought anything yet to buy combined ops somewhere (arma 2 and operation arrowed together). It was $14.99 on amazon a week ago I'm sure other deals are to be had (you by no means need the Steam version of this game).

Hope that helps.

Connarhea hang in there a second I'm going to write you a full guide on the cheapest way to get this mod running. I'll be editing this post.

Cheapest is the best' date=' cheap shoes cost some community in a poor nation, they are badly made meaning they will be in landfill very quickly and made from toxic crap.... future cost on our grand kids is 10 fold minimum... yes yes it not exactly the same but cheap products come at someones expense.

I will buy Connarhea a digital copy of A2CO and PMC from BI direct, that will also save potential lost hard copies and the major hassle of running ArmA off steam which all ArmA vets know can be a disaster.

edit:

It works fucking fine you imbeciles.

What the fuk are you on about?

Read the threat title and the first page.

Wow you guys were seriously going to buy me a copy? that's fucking amazing guys, who would really cash out for someone else though, you nuts? :D Well i managed to get some stuff sold (have some steam games still to sell if anyone wants Borderlands) and bought ArmA CO, not yet got everything installed yet as it's quite late but thank you for the posts.

Is it really worth me getting PMC? As I don't think I can afford it as yet.

Also I was having problems in ArmA with my xbox controller, is it actually possible to customise the controls as it wont open that menu when i click it. May just scrap the controller anyway.

Wow you guys were seriously going to buy me a copy? that's fucking amazing guys' date=' who would really cash out for someone else though, you nuts? :D Well i managed to get some stuff sold (have some steam games still to sell if anyone wants Borderlands) and bought ArmA CO, not yet got everything installed yet as it's quite late but thank you for the posts.

Is it really worth me getting PMC? As I don't think I can afford it as yet.

Also I was having problems in ArmA with my xbox controller, is it actually possible to customise the controls as it wont open that menu when i click it. May just scrap the controller anyway.[/quote']

PMC will just give you high res textures for PMC content... ie survivors.

It is only $12.

And yes I was serious and yes I'm a little nuts... anyone that says they're not alittle nuts is a closet psychopath or a pedophile.

And do not use a controller... ArmA uses nearly the entire keyboard so there is no way you could possibly bind half the controls to yer controller.