Sign in to follow this  
Nasuko

Hard Drive Clicks When Playing DayZ

I'm hoping someone here will be tech savvy enough in this field to tell me what's wrong, and if my theory is correct.

While playing DayZ, it seems that my hard drive will click and freeze up my game for up to 10 to 15 seconds before releasing me and allowing me to move again. It will happen again in the next minute and so on. But this happens ONLY when I play DayZ. I haven't seen this problem with any other game I've been running.

My PC tends to get a bit hot when playing and can go up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Yet I don't have this problem in the Sims when it does this, so I'm assuming it's not overheating.

My theory is that Arma 2 or DayZ is installed on bad sectors of my Hard Drive and I think I may need to uninstall and reinstall Arma 2 and DayZ from the beginning. Would I be correct? And if I do this, will I still have my character's stuff? I recently came across Night Vision Goggles and I'd prefer not to lose them. :P

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm hoping someone here will be tech savvy enough in this field to tell me what's wrong, and if my theory is correct.

While playing DayZ, it seems that my hard drive will click and freeze up my game for up to 10 to 15 seconds before releasing me and allowing me to move again. It will happen again in the next minute and so on. But this happens ONLY when I play DayZ. I haven't seen this problem with any other game I've been running.

My PC tends to get a bit hot when playing and can go up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Yet I don't have this problem in the Sims when it does this, so I'm assuming it's not overheating.

My theory is that Arma 2 or DayZ is installed on bad sectors of my Hard Drive and I think I may need to uninstall and reinstall Arma 2 and DayZ from the beginning. Would I be correct? And if I do this, will I still have my character's stuff? I recently came across Night Vision Goggles and I'd prefer not to lose them. :P

Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of Hard drive do you have?

If it's clicking, it's a REAL BAD SIGN. I suggest moving DayZ and ALL related files (Including the game Arma OA and II) To a new HDD.

• Like 1

Some hard drives have power down features and that is what causes the noise i know from personal experience that the 1 of the seagate baraacuda had this issue if you look up the make of the hdd and go onto there website and check sometimes theres a firmware update to fix it

• Like 1

Well, it appears that my hard drive does click even when running Sims 3. Anything that gets my drive going hard at all, even playing Minecraft, and it clicks. So, it's about ready to die. I'll be backing up everything I value onto my external tonight and buying a new one tomorrow.

Thanks all for the help. My Hard Drive is almost dead, so that's the problem. :P

So, to back up my toon, I copy the Arma folders in My Docs? I'm on Windows XP