Sign in to follow this  
Shag

An extra state for zed - investigate

Ok Zombie wander and attack.

Can we give them a third state, investigate?

If a zombie sees you they aggro.

If a zombie hears something, like you creeping, or a gunshot, they investigate. This state lasts for say 30 seconds/1 minute where they shuffle towards the sound source and then patrol there until time expired.

During this time if they hear something else, the state resets and they investigate the new sound.

Investigate, they give no audible cue that they have changed their behaviour, so can catch you out.

Zombie only aggros when they actually see you - FOOD!

With this, perhaps we could increase the audio detection radious? Gunshots in built up areas should really be much more risky.

On other zombie points:

-They should be slightly faster than we are to prevent 5 mile races.

-Some zombies should be stationary

-Zeds should be inside houses much more, we need more unpredictability.

-Shouldn't zig-zag, the game combat system wasn't designed for close combat like this. My cross hair doesn't do exactly what i want.

I suppose you've never fired a long rifle or assault rifle in a built up area, because the Zed's audio detection radius is monumental already.

I agree, it'd be nice to have an "investigate" stage upon audio detection, instead of an immediate GPS tracking Zed.

Zombies have amazingly accurate hearing, fire off one shot and they all know in unison:

ENEMY MAN. 100 METERS. NORTH. APARTMENT BUILDING. FOURTH FLOOR BEDROOM. PRONE. WEEPING.

investigative state yes... fast zombies no... zig zaging needs to be fixed... and hearing should be lowered or seing but its definitely bad that they catch you through walls...