Sign in to follow this  
Freeker

A few questions

Ok so, played for about 3-4 hours so far, not much I know. The mod is awesome and I already recommended it to a few of my buddies. There are a few things that kind of piss me off though, so maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

1. Is a big part of the game supposed to be running for your life into a random forest?

Every time I start a new game, I try my best to sneak into the closest little house or building to find a weapon and some food. Apparently my best is not good enough and I end up having a few zombies chasing me so I run. I run and run and run some more. I run so much I end up getting lost into what seems to be an endless forest with no other buildings to be seen. So what am I doing wrong here? I moved crouched at all time, rarely ever sprint and I still get some zombies chasing me. I read on these forums that a good tactic to lose them is to find a building with 2 doors, run in one end and out the other. That works when I find a building to do that with. If I don't, am I doomed to run indefinitely?

2. Is there an easy way to team up with someone?

I tried teaming up with someone from these forums. We added each other on steam and chatted through there. Our biggest problem was actually finding each other. We would spawn pretty far away, so we would describe our surroundings in the steam chat. Any better way?

3. How can I use my flashlight and hunting knife? Can the knife be used to kill zombies?

Knife is for gutting animals for meat, you must equip the flashlight into the pistol slot. It's very hard to find friendlies anymore. I wish you look, try to just hook up with friends you know. And yes you do A LOT of running around.

Thanks for the reply :D One more thing I forgot, Is there a quick way to kill yourself if say your lost in a forest and no zombies are around? I can't like the re spawn button and the restart button does not seem to do anything.

1) running for your life, not really once you get used to the game there is not a lot that will happen - running through forests yes 90% of the time if your actually trying the survival thingy.

2) use the forum, ingame is possible voicechat/direct but its not really a save method (neither are the forums but its better at finding actual friendlies). And to find each other you have to start learning the game so you know where you are (shows up on the bottom right 2nd line when you load in) and how to get from there to another. I'd suggest using an external map in the overlay/2nd monitor like http://dayzdb.com/map.

3) right click flashlight to add it to pistol slot (has to be empty, if you have a pistol put that in your backpack (make sure you have 5 free slots, or it will spit it out and you probably wont get it back))

Knife is for gutting animals only (cooking):

• You need to kill an animal
  • Then gut it using the KNIFE grab the meat of the body
  • You need an HATCHET to get wood from a forrest (stand next to a tree right click it in your inventory and select harvest wood) for a fire (This can be used as melee weapon)
  • And you need MATCHES to light the fire (right click on them in inventory -> create fireplace) then you can lit it and cook using the scroll menu.

Killing yourself no - look around for a building (run in straight lines (so you dont run in circles), follow roads (since they will almost always end up in civilisation or the end of the map, but then just go the other way)), almost all of them will spawn zombies that will gladly eat you.

Edited by decapitator

Thank you very much :D Going to try the prone method. The hunt for matches begins!

If it is daytime, yo ned to crawl when you are near Zombies. That is te best way to avoid detection.

If you find an Axe use that as your primary weapon to kill the Zombies, it is a 1 hit silent kill that wont alert the others. You can kill the Zombies quite easily when crawling/prone with the Axe.

I have killed 33 Zombies with the Axe, and so far I have dropped 2 rifles i found, since i prefer the Axe.

I keep a .45 Cal Revolver for self-defense if I meet a hostile player.

Roadflares and chemlights should make decent decoys, since the Zombies should be attracted to the light, so you cam make a quick escape.

Thank you very much :D Going to try the prone method. The hunt for matches begins!

i personally use this most of the time.

PS.: this won't work if you have a big agro.

If it is daytime, yo ned to crawl when you are near Zombies. That is te best way to avoid detection.

If you find an Axe use that as your primary weapon to kill the Zombies, it is a 1 hit silent kill that wont alert the others. You can kill the Zombies quite easily when crawling/prone with the Axe.

I have killed 33 Zombies with the Axe, and so far I have dropped 2 rifles i found, since i prefer the Axe.

I keep a .45 Cal Revolver for self-defense if I meet a hostile player.

Roadflares and chemlights should make decent decoys, since the Zombies should be attracted to the light, so you cam make a quick escape.

DON'T even listen to him... NEVER unarm yourself from your guns. you need to learn how to lose zeds without making too big noise and without other players noticing you.

If you unarm yourself just to throw some axe swings... you are good as dead. If i were to meet you and see that you got an axe as your primary... let's just say my problems with finding supplies are no more ;)

-A Proud Bandit :)

PS.: Road flares? As decoys? really? why not just start yelling in direct chat as you run through Cherno that you want to get killed :)

Edited by MostlyPanda

Ok so, played for about 3-4 hours so far, not much I know. The mod is awesome and I already recommended it to a few of my buddies. There are a few things that kind of piss me off though, so maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

1. Is a big part of the game supposed to be running for your life into a random forest?

Not a big part, but part of the game yes. In most situations, when coming to town, you're going to want to crouch run most of the way to the outskirts but once the zombies start getting close, instantly press z and start crawling around as they wont chase you unless pretty much 5-7 feet away from you but if you stop moving completely, i've had a zombie pass between 6 inches-1 foot away from me and completely ignore me. Try to stay away from roads, roads will get you killed. Try to menouver between houses/hards/concrete walls where there are less zombies (never stand, crouching is acceptable unless zombies can see you, then prone).

Running into the forest is the best solution if you have a loud gun such as an akm, or ak74 varient, as it will attract most of the town, zombies and players alike. It is also a safer method of travel when running from town to town, just keep the road in site.

2. Is there an easy way to team up with someone?

Try to use steam, vent,teamspeak, or skype to voice communicate with people as unless the steam chat is always present, constant alt+tabing to talk to somebody can make it easier for you to die. If you have a map on your persons, try to find a server where your person is visable on the map as a blue marker, moving around will be much easier. If not, when you spawn, look at the name of the place where you spawn and then go into 3rd person and find the sun, it rises in the east and sets in the west, or the clouds run west to east im pretty sure. When you know that, it's a matter of trying to get to a town between the two of you. (i ran from elektro to stary sobor with no map or compass just by finding out where the sun was).

3. How can I use my flashlight and hunting knife? Can the knife be used to kill zombies?

To use your flashlight, hit g, and then right click on your flashlight and click remove from toolbelt, then hit L. Use sparingly as it will attract player attention. Also, if you have a sidearm already, make sure you have 5 spots in your inventory or backpack or you wont be able to use it.

No you cannot use a knife to kill, only to gut animals.

Edited by Littleassassin2

Roadflares don't work during the day, you need smoke grenades. Just make sure youre in a building first such as hospital/firehouse/grocery store/barn. I made 3 trips to the NW airfield in an hour because nobody was there besides me, aggroed a shitload of zombies on my third run and had like 5k health left.. made it to the firehouse but for some reason the zombies sprinted halfway to where i was when i was halfway through the throwing motion and then he sprinted the other half to my position when he attacked and mike tysoned me.. i was passed out and left for dead. I was pissed as hell.

i personally use this most of the time.

PS.: this won't work if you have a big agro.

DON'T even listen to him... NEVER unarm yourself from your guns. you need to learn how to lose zeds without making too big noise and without other players noticing you.

If you unarm yourself just to throw some axe swings... you are good as dead. If i were to meet you and see that you got an axe as your primary... let's just say my problems with finding supplies are no more ;)

-A Proud Bandit :)

PS.: Road flares? As decoys? really? why not just start yelling in direct chat as you run through Cherno that you want to get killed :)

Depends on how you play.

I have survived some time time now with the same character, using the (for me) sensible approach: Lay low and sneak.

I avoid city areas during the day-time, and keep to the less populated areas where snotty-nosed bandits like you are more scarce ;)

If you throw a flare Zombies will go to the flare, you obviously don't carry it around....