CptBywater

Add more & better melee weapons.

Hello.

So personally I think there should be more melee weapons (yes I am aware of hatchets and crowbars). In my opinion there should be a variety of melee weapons just like there is ranged weapons. However I'm not just talking about the generic zombie survival weapons (baseball bat, chainsaw etc) but I think there should be an extensive amount of weapons suited to where they are found. Like truncheons on Police officers, bats in residential, pitch forks in farm buildings etc. What do you guys think?

• Like 8

Even a branch could be used as a "club"

Pitchfork would be nice though :P

• Like 2

The standalone will no doubt have better melee options. As it is, Real Virtuality 3 engine (the one that ArmA II uses) has a lot of difficulty properly implementing melee combat. Perhaps RV4 (the one ArmA III will be using) will have better melee possibilities. Perhaps Rocket will try to move to RV4 eventually, or perhaps he'll move to an entirely new (better) engine for the standalone.

Anyone's guess is best at this point, until Rocket says something official.

• Like 1

Yes, the melee needs to be improved, there should also be factors like reach.

More like Dead Island, although without the crazy ass electro-weapons. Because, in reality, there would not be numerous guns all over the place, and mellee weapons would be a far safer bet (ammunition wise especially)

• Like 1

They should also be secondaries or primaries depending on their size, e.g. bat as a secondary and chainsaw as a primary.

Chain Saws are a bad Idea... You ever use one? More often then not you would hurt your self (Chainsaws would glance off the bone probably ending up in you cutting your self). They are not made for quick swipes at flesh, instead they are used for slowly cutting through wood. Also You would arggo every zombie in the town. Base ball bats would be nice though. Or a Kukri.

Very hard to implement currently, not worth it in my opinion.

In standalone though, I'm still very eh about melee weapons.

I still think you should be able to swing the torch. I don't see why we can't have more (better) melee weapons and be able to switch to them quickly, so when you aggro a zed and lead him into a house you can switch to a sword or bat or whatever and beat it to death instead of alerting the whole town of exactly where you are.

I just think you should be able to punch and kick, you most likely die but go down swinging like a boss except a scared mouse.

Maybe playing the eye of the tiger ;)

Edited by Bobcomss
  • Like 1

Chain Saws are a bad Idea... You ever use one? More often then not you would hurt your self (Chainsaws would glance off the bone probably ending up in you cutting your self). They are not made for quick swipes at flesh, instead they are used for slowly cutting through wood. Also You would arggo every zombie in the town. Base ball bats would be nice though. Or a Kukri.

Yes, thinking from a realism stand point I agree. I used it as an example as it is a generic zombie fighting weapon.

The multitude of weapon available would fit the locations, e.g. pipes from industrial, bits of wood from the beach and the broken boats, bats from residential, sickles and scythes in farms and barns, swords and other medieval weaponry in high yield houses (rich have ornamental swords and stuff), combat machetes, and maybe bayonets for the old guns like Lee Enfield in the military. Well they're just some ideas. What ideas do you guys have?

I would like to see the hunting knife be used as a last resort type of weapon. It wouldn't do much on zombies but maybe sneaking up on other players and slitting their throat?

Some good Ideas in this thread, I like to think my weapon suggestions would fit in with these ideas. Hopefully we get a little more variety in the standalone

I still think you should be able to swing the torch. I don't see why we can't have more (better) melee weapons and be able to switch to them quickly...

I just think you should be able to punch and kick...

The biggest issue with more and better is that the RV3 engine has major issues with implementing melee. Punching might be a less than favorable idea in the reality aspect of it, since you don't want to risk breaking your fist on a zombie face, or cutting your skin on their protruded bones, etc and risk infection. Grappling / pushing zombies would be good though, to avoid being hit.

The multitude of weapon available... pipes ... wood ... bats from residential ... sickles and scythes ... rich ornamental swords and stuff ... combat machetes ... bayonets ....

I like the idea of improvised weapons like pipes stuff, but I don't like the stuff in bold above. Scythes are terribly unwieldy. A shovel on the other hand is far more common and simple. Ornamental swords and stuff are simply that: Ornamental. They would break immediately. Real swords and stuff are very dangerous if you don't know how to use them, and are pretty impractical for zombie killing. The whole cut-off-their-heads-with-one-swipe stuff from the movies and games is pure BS. Bayonets... Ehhh... a little more practical, but less common and also unwieldy.

They should implement; baseball bats, cricket bats, machetes, meat cleavers (optional throw)

Optional throw... I don't like it. It's extremely difficult to throw an edged weapon accurately, let alone well enough to inflict a serious wound.

Dont forgett about shovels! Best weapon of all in zombie apocalypse. :P

Shovels, YES. Props to you, Dalegor!

That's my input, anyway.

.I like the idea of improvised weapons like pipes stuff, but I don't like the stuff in bold above. Scythes are terribly unwieldy. A shovel on the other hand is far more common and simple. Ornamental swords and stuff are simply that: Ornamental. They would break immediately. Real swords and stuff are very dangerous if you don't know how to use them, and are pretty impractical for zombie killing. The whole cut-off-their-heads-with-one-swipe stuff from the movies and games is pure BS. Bayonets... Ehhh... a little more practical, but less common and also unwieldy.

I have ornamental swords in my house, they are carbon steel and fully functional, I suppose not everyone likes to have a broadsword on their wall. Well, after all I use it as a weapon in case someone breaks in, no guns in the UK :(

Does anyone ask themselves why melee weapons or melee combat itself is not present in RV engine?

It's because it has been created to assist with training soldiers for combat, and you should never seek to engage in melee combat. Range is a huge tactical advantage, going into melee combat throws away your advantage and exposes you to injury. A silenced weapon coupled with range > knife to throat, there is less risk. The image of a SF soldier knifing a sentry is complete BS fabricated for movies.

In DayZ people are desperate and unarmed thus improvised weapons or melee weapons should have a small place I think. They should be an afterthought though, as they would/should only be used until you find a gun. Just as a handgun is *really* only used to kill/defend until a rifle is aquired/functional.

The second point to consider with melee combat in DayZ is that the infected feel no pain, emotion, and do not care about their own survival. This would greatly increase their effectiveness even unarmed against an opponent in hand to hand combat. You would basically have to kill one with one attack in the .5 seconds that they are within range before they reach you, not only are most weapons incapable of this, but virtually no one is trained in a martial art that is designed to do this. If this were 1200AD maybe but its not, so the training and weapons required to fight this way are non existent.

If melee combat is outside the functionality of RV or whatever engine is used then it should be scrapped, it should be one of the last things on the priority list.