H1R0

Walker Variation.

I am a rather new player to DayZ but I am finding I am really enjoying it and want to give some ideas and input. Though the games tension and fear comes from player to player interaction and conflict I think the zombies are a little under utiilized. One major irk I have is while there are muliple zombies (walker, crawler, frogger) they are really all the same thing. Get too close and they charge you.

My suggestion would be to crate more zombie diversity. I think this might add some deeper levels of anxiety and tactics on how you approach sittuations (exploring vilages/citys, helping others). Im going to post some zombie ideas I have come up with and the reasoning/thoughts behind them i invite and encourage others to pitch in there 2 cents.

1) Slow walker - A variation on the current walker but more in the style of a classic Romero zombie. Slow and lumbersome and stupid. This may seem like a bad idea since slow zombies are easily outran but hear me out. I think there would be a respectible threat in certian situations. If the slow walker's detection radius and reaction radius to gunshots was considerably larger it would mean that you would be forced to deal with or react to them more often. Also the slow speed would make them ideal for being in large groups in citys/towns. Picture this; You walk into a town full of slow walkers and sneak your way in sucessfuly. Suddenly an ak-74 is in the corner with a slow walker nearby. You can simply shoot the slow walker and take it however firing a shot will easily alert the others and in no time a slow moving horde would close in on you from all sides. Do you risk it, or leave the treasure alone and prioritize your own safety? On a final thought since they are slow and might be easily dealt with, via the use of a undisclosed body armor stat (if possible) go the full 9 yards to the Romero homage and make them dispatchable as per normal zombie rules. Shoot them in the head.

2) Fast walker - Another variation of the walker, more similar to its current state. If I had to give a hollywood corilation to this it would be an infected form the 28 days later series. A fast walker with lower detection reaction abilities and just as easily dealt with as the current walkers, however with a few additions. Firstly the Fast walker when triggered would be loud. More akin to an animal it would yell or growl upon sighting its target and then move in. This noise would alert nearby zombies (slow walkers included) and draw them in to the incited area. This noise being loud could also attract nearby players. On a mirrored thought, for other players this scream could be highly psychological. Upon hearing it questions would come to mind "Did I alert a fast walker? Is there another player in the area? Is that going to attract more walkers and turn this into a hotspot? Is this area safe to be in anymore or should I head somewhere safer?" All these questions from a single recognizable sound would make the tension increase ten fold. The fast walkers on there own would be a considerable threat to being as fast as current walkers. On a final point here to lessen the 'cheap' factor I would suggest that the scream not be able to alert other nearby fast walkers if possible.

3) Hunters - No these will not jump. The current frogger zombies (as I call them) have a good creep factor but in action are a little unspectacular in my opinion. I think a good way to up the anty on there threat and utility would be to make them noctournal. During the day they would be little threat, nearly blind as bats and only able to detect players through sound. Though at night there sight radius would be increased drasticly, far outranging the player's own capabilities without a flashlight or some kind of night vision. As to there capabilities I think the current frogger zombies behaviour is suitable. But to up the anty and creep and to make them somewhat more managable at night why not have white eyes glow in the dark? Imagine that running towards you in pitch black.

4) Imposters - Though potentialy the most dificult and most time consuming to impliment I think this variant of zombie would be amazing for one reason. This zombie would be a major punishment to kill happy bandits. The imposter would be quite similar to the Fast walker in terms of speed and detection radius, but its merit would come in its behavior and in its locations. The Imposter would be best spawned in closed areas such as houses or buildings or narrow streets and alleys. Through sound files or diffrent types and tones the Imposter would mimic the sound of an unwary player through the utility of locational sound. Perhaps a voice gesture or a whisper to another player thats not there. These sounds from the imposter would alert players to the possible presance of another player or lack there of. To the cautious it might be an avoidable threat that can be left alone and moved away from but to a hungry bandit or those too curious for there own good they would be drawn into the tight space to see just what is in there and be met with a fast zombie that gives them a startle and makes them second guess the next choice in a similar situation, granted they live to see it. On final notes for this idea, I would think the Imposter should not alert other zombies through sounds or alerts, the Imposter may also benefit form hitting a little harder than a normal current walker but go down just as easily. Finaly with this one go all out on model skin. Pick something disturbing, something gross or horifying. Something that really makes people scared/jump when they see it. There should be a good negative pay off for unbridled curiosity/greed.

That is all for now but I encourage others to leave there ideas on this post and grow the topic with some of there own suggestions/additions. Please keep it positive and dont rag on others for lame or unorriginal ideas. Lets keep this subjective, constructive and creative. Hopefully it will catch devs eyes and add some interesting things into the mod. I will update new ideas as they come.

~H1R0

I'm normally sceptical of zombie variation suggestions, however, you've made some interesting suggestions that surprisingly, I like the sound of, especially the slow walkers and the fast ones reactions.

I think imposter zombie would be difficult to implement, but again, interesting suggestion. I like. Good first post, at least it wasn't a moan with no constructive criticism.

I like the idea, the problem is that if you spawn the imposter zombie in a building he wouldn't be able to be fast because since zombies can only walk in buildings (for some reason) and considering that if you shoot once anyways every zombie in the town and more are after you anyways :S maybe im just unlucky but every-time i shoot a zombie everyone heres it lol and then 50 zombies are after me so its a bit redundant to give some a higher detection radius but maybe it would be good if it balances them out?

I love the Imposter idea, and have noted that a LOT of the new zed models seem to be very much in this vein. I've seen a bunch of crawlers that I've mistaken for players, and more than a few are dressed in army fatigues or even police uniforms.

I'm especially fond of being attacked by the Jamie Hyneman zombie. You know the one I mean.

mythbusters.jpg

:D

I have linked my own ideas in my sig under "Zombie AI". I'd love it if you would comment on them, as I think a lot of your ideas are in-line with my own.

I approve of these ideas.

If possible I'd like to see the inclusion of a special Zed or two. Something that would only spawn a few of per server, something to really incite fear in the hearts of the players requiring either an exceptionally geared player or a group of beaners to deal with.

Great suggestions, I'd love to see some more variation in the game (mainly because I hate running into fast zombies so often).

Not so sure about the imposter zombie, but I really like the sound of the hunter zombie.