Sign in to follow this  
jingled@hotmail.com

Having a hard time as a new player? Check here :)

Hello dear community.

I just posted the same thing in a discussion, but i've felt new players won't see it there, so i made a separate topic for this information.

Some of you will find this method cheap and unfair. Please understand the learning curve for this game is very big and not noob friendly without starting any weapon (not even a stick...)

For new players with this system i can only give 1 tip... server hopping. run to Elektro/Cherno as you spawn, make your way into the store (zombies that chased you will buzz off in there. and loot everything ni the store. then leave the server, and join a new 1. you will be again in the store with new loots. rince and repeat this TILL YOU'VE FOUND A MAP. Chances are you will find one very soon. Life is much easier if you got a map.

Most important thing. As a new player and without Bandit skins, only join servers with ZERO (0) ppl in it so you can loot the store safely. once you feel you got yourself enough ammunition/weapons/bandage/morphine/etc. you can go and live the big world of populated servers. Basically you guys need to follow 1 rule (damn i will get flamed for this), SHOOT ON SIGHT. Don't try to chit-chat with with other players.

After you got your Map: Get going to THIS LOCATION: http://dayzdb.com/map#6.063.076

Aim for the little red dots there. Those are military tents which often have some good weapons. I won't deny it. I did some server leave/join new server to get enough ammo. Tents there often spawn Assault Rifles with Scopes (red dot or ACOG scope).

Keep in mind YOU NEED TO HAVE enough food/drink for this journey cause its a long walk. I can't stress enough to get a MAP first so you can aim there directly.

Most servers allow to use "pin-pointing" on maps.

You can do this with "Shift+Left click" on the area you you wish to travel to. When you close the map you will see an indicator ingame which shows which way you need to head to and what distance it's at. You will probably see Big black Circle markings on the map saying "Meet here/any gibberish". NEVER go there. Those are created by other Players and it's mostly a TRAP. You can delete those from the map by hovering your mouse over them and PRES DELETE on your keyboard. "pinpoint" locations are NOT visible by other players, safe to use. Hope i helped a little to my fellow new players. i've just started 4 days ago and had a very hard to start out. Literally i died 21times in the first 3-4hour.

Pls keep in mnid this topic is intended to help other new players. If you get the urge to start to flame and call others by names or call us low players. just count to 10 and relax. Try to be civilized.

Regards.

Panda.

Edited by MostlyPanda
  • Like 1

Although I'm not a new player, and have been playing a while... I never found out how to use the Shift click waypoint.... Thanks! :D

This is an amazing piece of advice but with load times make sure ya put some time aside to do this :)

15-30 minutes of forced waiting time after leaving server would do.

And if the Server you were about to join was laggy?

It's killing all the fun, isn't it?

For new Players not habituated to the keys of Arma and the way things work here what kills their fun is getting shot five times in a row.

You're telling the newbies to server hop and kill on sight? wtf..

Play the game as it's meant to be played, don't try to bypass the learning curve by running to a store and server hopping. How will the noobies learn how to properly avoid zeds? How will they learn to attempt communication before taking hostile actions? How will they learn to ration supplies when they just need to run to a supermarket and server hop?

You're turning the new players into the very worst kinds of players in this game. Congrats.

You're telling the newbies to server hop and kill on sight? wtf..

Play the game as it's meant to be played, don't try to bypass the learning curve by running to a store and server hopping. How will the noobies learn how to properly avoid zeds? How will they learn to attempt communication before taking hostile actions? How will they learn to ration supplies when they just need to run to a supermarket and server hop?

You're turning the new players into the very worst kinds of players in this game. Congrats.

Maybe...or maybe not but I can not tell you how many times as a new player I have tried to "play the game" as it was meant to be only to be shot so can they loot my bandage?? I am guessing the guy in the gullie suit has that covered. Or the fully kitted player has said "friendly" only to walk up and excute me again for that ever valuable bandage I have at the time. Or so his murder count will look cool later on the screen shot he will post later. So the SoS policy was well in place before I ever logged on. At least the last time I had a weapon to shoot back lol. I understand the frustration this thread is addressing. I wont "server hop" just cause I like to play as intended but, I understand where the motivation is coming from.

I dont' know maybe next time you are looking through scope from your well concealed position thanks to the gullie suit you are wearing and you see a noob go in the supermarket with his trusty bandage ladden patrol pack. Maybe feed him a bone and let him grab a few things and get back out again. just saying....... Oh and far as zeds...well they are easy to avoid or loose ( as many threads here tell you how)...but those other players well thats what we all really worry about don't we

Oh and I am sure there are many people who do let the noobs go...just have'nt met one yet

Edited by Koarn

Oh and I am sure there are many people who do let the noobs go...just havent met one yet

Check out this thread, it has a LOT of people willing to help people out all the time if anyone needs medical assistance for nothing in return:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3910-need-medical-assistance-we-can-help/page__st__5140

I will give it to you, there are alot of people that love to grief new players in this game for no loot return. However, there is quite a bit of people out there that make use of this game in a sandbox fashion rather than a griefing one.

Check out this thread, it has a LOT of people willing to help people out all the time if anyone needs medical assistance for nothing in return:

http://dayzmod.com/f.../page__st__5140

I will give it to you, there are alot of people that love to grief new players in this game for no loot return. However, there is quite a bit of people out there that make use of this game in a sandbox fashion rather than a griefing one.

sadly that quite a bit of ppl is really bit. Met a few players already in Chernerus... last guy yelled "friendly" at me and shot me in the leg, luckily i got a fast HS on him and survived... but i didn't had any morphine left so i had to travel from NW Airfield to the nearest hospital in PRONE. Can you imagine how long it took for me to got to one?... Now i don't ask anything. Just shoot.