naizarak

Standardize Servers + Lock First-Person View

First point is fairly basic: standardize game settings across all servers. It just doesn't make sense to join an "easy-mode" server, like the Legion ones, stock up on items, and then transfer to another server.

Second point is a bit more radical, but seeing as how this is meant to be a survival game, I think locking camera perspective to first-person would really add to immersion and make players more cautious.

Anyways the mod is great and I can't wait to see where it goes from here! :)

Not going to get into the old and very very tired debate about 1st/3rd in arma but I will say that I'd stop playing if it were locked to 1st. I've just about lost the will as is. Standardized settings would be fine though.

I'd love to see the mod locked into 1st person, no green crosshairs, got to use your gun to aim, hold down alt to look around.

Do not lock down 3rd person, i use it extensively in popular areas like elektro and chern.

With out it i would of died many times.

These sorts of changes come down to the delicate balance between challenging and fucking annoying.

A server is hosted by the people paying for it. If it's like any other game, the options for things like first/third person are server side, not something that can be forced in the mod (though I'm not certain of that in Arma). That means you would need to get everybody hosting a server to agree on a specific ruleset and then continually enforce it. Not going to happen.

For those people who server hop, so what? They're used to playing in the easy mode environment and then jump into the hard mode. How long are they going to survive? If they're competent in the hard mode environment then it's a moot point because they could have done the same thing on the hard mode server that they did on the easier server.

Let people have their choices. If you want to play in first person, that's your choice. But that doesn't mean everyone should be forced to conform to your playstyle.

I think servers should be normalized, I think 3rd person adds an unfair advantage to bandits when they can look around corners from within houses at players without exposing themselves. I've died a couple times because of this, when I would have been able to take a shot at them if they were forced to peak in first person.

Im ok with the universal settings, generally if the servers are going to be all hooked up then they prolly should use same settings however making someone play first person when they sometimes dont want to is really not what I would call fun, sounds mean actually because you would be forcing your preferences on someone else without even caring. That will kill playerbase fast.

3rd person is pretty annoying, but the biggest problem with most servers is the scroll menu spotting and seeing player names from 700m away. Half of my group got killed because some dick saw us from 700m away when we were looking through a building. And with looking around with the scroll menu spotting, you see the perfect range, and you can sometimes see through hills and buildings. I definitely needs to be completely removed from all servers.

3rd person is pretty annoying' date=' but the biggest problem with most servers is the scroll menu spotting and seeing player names from 700m away. Half of my group got killed because some dick saw us from 700m away when we were looking through a building. And with looking around with the scroll menu spotting, you see the perfect range, and you can sometimes see through hills and buildings. I definitely needs to be completely removed from all servers.

[/quote']

This^.

A way to see people's tags at close range would be nice.

The UO servers are 'vetran', even tho the server list says 'regular'.

i recon 3rd person is cheated, but camera shaking when hurt give me so much headache. It s really vomiting :( Maybe it would be better to just let the weapon do random move, not the camera

Keep third person, ditch the crosshair and player spotting. I agree that 3rd person crosshair for shooting is dumb, and the spotting even dumber (thats what range finders are for), I look down my sights and generally go to first person for encounters but I run around in third person. You can argue all you want for this being a simulator, but there are people who just do not want to be forced to use only first person for various reasons, if you don't want people using 3rd person, dont play on the servers that have it.

I use 3rd person because it's less clunky to maneuver my guy in and out of buildings and under fences, I still use the sights to aim my shots.

i don't like the 3rd person camera. is not good for pvp this can be and advantage for you

this happens whit the 3rd person camera, i think you don't like be inside of the building :(

i don't like the 3rd person camera. is not good for pvp this can be and advantage for you

this happens whit the 3rd person camera' date=' i think you don't like be inside of the building :(

[/quote']

Yup. It's possible to see outside of buildings in 3rd person too. There has been long and heated arguments about this already... but for a good reason. 3rd person is = exploit in a mod that is meant to be PVP. Single player/Coop against AI is what 3rd person was originally intended for in this game. It does not belong in a PVP mod.

Standardise, yes, lock to first person? NO.

Arma 2 has the single most irritating, frustrating and outright broken first person view of any game ive played especially in combination with its at times utter bollocks collision models. I was playing one of the first person only servers as the others were full and it took me a full 5 minutes to get through a sodding door way and a further 3 to turn around without alerting some zeds.

No. i understand where you are coming from and in any other game id support you, at times the third person view is a bit cheeky being able to see through walls and stuff, but seriously, if i could only play in first person id stop playing all together, its that bad.

ArmA 2 1st person is just different placement of camera on the 3rd person model so it makes the 1st person controls really awkward, like mentioned before navigating indoors is a nightmare and there's lack of sense on how the character is actually oriented like is he hidden in bush or not or does some part of him stick around a corner or not. Add nauseating headbob to all that and the only thing I do in 1st person is shooting.

You can remove headbob in your Gameplay settings of ArmA. Just go to the Main Menu.

1st person only, would make finding cars and choppers just not worth it. There's too much scattered trash and obstacles, that having no 3rd person would make these death-traps.

1st person only on infantry, 3rd allowed on vehicles... that could work (like it does with PR).

Regular is best difficulty IMHO to go with, as you can customise it anyway you want. Veteran and Expert have some settings you can't change. People just generally assume Regular is 'noob mode' but it depends if server admins have bothered to customise it (like they do on UO).

I like the idea of standardizing servers.

I personally like 1st person more, but do not mind if you can go 3rd person aswell, i sometimes use it when i scout my surroundings.

What i would like to see removed from all the servers is the "scanning" finger/hand you get, when you scroll you mouse wheel, way too easy to spot players with it and ruins, for me atleast most of the servers.