Sign in to follow this  
batcaveslimer

Why destroy tents?

It seems curious to me why people bother destroying tents. It seems tactically 'neutral' or even a disadvantages act.

I don't dupe and i find enemy camps excellent places to re-stock.

A person is more likely to move camp if you destroy it. And they leave it in place if you just steal bit or even a vehicle.

In fact, extrapolating on this theory, we should all set up and maintain tents with supplies at all major loot spawning locations on every server. These tents should be used by all, possible use for fortifications as well.

For KOS players, bandits and survivor tactics are served by the resupply, joining up and the ambush/trap benefits.

But duping seems to be a problem for some players.

edit; grammar

Edited by batcaveslimer
  • Like 1

Currently duping tent cities are an inifnite resource. People find them then use them to restock everytime they die. This means all the other players in the game end up always having basically all the gear, L85, gillies, NVG etc.

So it's tactically sound to remove that resource from your enemy.

Plus it escalates, people take the good gear then add it to their own camps which then also dupe. Before long the wholes server is flooded with loot that is supposed to be extremely rare.

• Like 8

The same reason people kill unarmed players and nuke servers: griefing. Some people simply enjoy causing grief.

• Like 1

when you come across the amount of gear in them sometimes its for the better to squash them

Before long the wholes server is flooded with loot that is supposed to be extremely rare.

And this is why DayZ has become terrible.

• Like 1

when you come across the amount of gear in them sometimes its for the better to squash them

You basically just duped their shit for them

You basically just duped their shit for them

lmfao

i could write how to dupe an infinite amount of items in 1 line with just a ghillie or camo

tent duping is just a byproduct of shitty coding and is used by nobody other than leechers

lmfao

i could write how to dupe an infinite amount of items in 1 line with just a ghillie or camo

tent duping is just a byproduct of shitty coding and is used by nobody other than leechers

I know this.

I'm just saying all these players thinking they are destroying camps don't realise they are actually helping the dupers.

"Oh you killed my tent!" *restart server* "Thanks for the extra shit buddy".

Edited by Never

everyone who plays on the same server as me is potentially a threat, especially if they have lots of hi spec gear, so i am afraid it has to go...

What about your thoughts on community tents in loot locations?

Great if you want to play DayZ like a shooter.

Lame as it bypasses 99% of what the mod is meant to be about.

Edited by Never
  • Like 1

dayz is especially awesome because you can choose to be good or bad. if there wasn't a balance of good and bad then it would be boring as hell.

don't question 'bad' behaviour! :P

I did it once, but only to test if I could. I was walking away when I just wondered "could I hatchet it to death?" do I turned around and beat the hell out of the tent with my hatchet. After like 5 hits, it plopped flat. Also it adds insult to injury.

I say we man up and get rid of tents. Clearly ArmA2 is too buggy to allow for legitimate tents unless they save constantly (which would cause major lag issues).

Want storage? Find a car, I have yet to hear of them being duped (if they are, I don't know of it). If we're going to have the fantasy of respawning, we're going to need to make fantasy adjustments against the griefing it brings.

Its a phase that will pass when they put the resources into fixing it.

One temporary measure that could be considered is remove tents until we get a viable way to permenently destroy them instead of all the zombie tents.

• Like 1

I have never actually duped anything. I don't know how to do it, and I'm proud of that fact. I have earned my m4a3 cco and m24 legitly by finding them in stary. But the duping shit just makes the game unfair for me and all those other people who scavenge for everything.

On an unrelated note, where do you guys usually find camp sites? I have never found one to date, and I really would like to find one.

dayz is especially awesome because you can choose to be good or bad. if there wasn't a balance of good and bad then it would be boring as hell.

don't question 'bad' behaviour! :P

Show me this said, "balance" and then your opinion could become a valid one. There is a 100 to 1 ratio between good and bad. That's not balance. That's evil roaring in Chernarus.

Cause some people went to the trouble of spreading 10 tents around the woods, with a tractor and a truck. We wanted the truck, blew the tractor up, and smashed every tent. It's:

1: Hilarious

2: Tactically sound; why leave them a place to feel safe and restock with things they're going to use to kill us?

3: Hilarious

If you take out the items inside the tents and then save them, will those items be forever gone?

I say we man up and get rid of tents. Clearly ArmA2 is too buggy to allow for legitimate tents unless they save constantly (which would cause major lag issues).

Want storage? Find a car, I have yet to hear of them being duped (if they are, I don't know of it). If we're going to have the fantasy of respawning, we're going to need to make fantasy adjustments against the griefing it brings.

Cars can dupe if they want to. We have a UAZ that likes to dupe a L85 and can repair itself every time the driver gets out (we have 2 bikes that auto repair as well). Once in a while all our vehicles will revert to an old save and dupe. I can't tell you how many times we try to get duping to stop with either tents or vehicles. There's 5 AS50s, 7+ L85s, a few M107s, and more tools to speak of in our camp thanks to unwanted duping. We've tried everything but destroying all vehicles to stop duping, but the tents just keep coming back filled with weapons we don't want in our camp in case of a raid.

That's why we don't store good weapons in our camp anymore. It'll end up duped in no time. Even if/when we bug out to a new camp and destroy everything we can't take with us, all of those tents will come back on next restart. Our old camp STILL has tents filled with stuff, and that's after it was ripped apart by someone who backed stabbed us.

Edited by Chewy102

I destroy tents because I am annoyed by people hoarding gear and vehicles, most of the people setting up these camps are just server hoppers and dupers.

Great if you want to play DayZ like a shooter.

Lame as it bypasses 99% of what the mod is meant to be about.

I disagree, and i think Rocket would to.

Take items out, save tent. Drop items randomly around, the floor will usually hide it, if not.. meh

If they don't show up soon enough, server restart = gear gone + empty tent.