Yarden

Winchester is better than military grade weapons?

So what exactly makes the rare military assault rifles better than the winchester?

i made a little comparison between the ak-kobra/AKM/ak-74/mp5 to the winny:

assault rifles: 2 bullets to the body to kill a zed, 1 to the head.

pvp: usually 1-3 bullets to kill(depending on where you hit i guess)

range: durable on every range.

ammo: rare, can be found usually only in military bases/airstrips or deer stands

the guns are very loud.

mp5 is basically the same expect it is a very quiet gun.

winny:

1 bullet to kill a zed even if you hit him in the leg.

pvp: usually 1-3 bullets to kill even after the nerf.

range:short-medium+

ammo: can be found in every town.

the winny is quieter than the assault guns, expect the MP5 maybe.

so is the winchester really much better? or am i missing something?

It USED to be much better as a great combination of power, loudness (quietness) and frequency of weapon and ammo spawn. These have been tamed down a bit though.

Assault rifles are made for precision at high rate of fire at medium to long range, SMG's share the same basic functionality but are for close to medium range. Singular impact is not their intention or strong suit, their point is for placing multiple shots in a tight grouped area and the ammunition they use is generally quite small.

The Winchester is a single fire, cock and reload rifle (shotgun in this game for whatever reason) which fires a large projectile. It's made to do accurate and high damage at medium to long range with a single shot.

It USED to be much better as a great combination of power' date=' loudness (quietness) and frequency of weapon and ammo spawn. These have been tamed down a bit though.

[/quote']

the comparison was mader after the nerf..

It used to be better. Frequency of ammo/gun, less risky acquisition, etc.

Nothing beats Silenced weapons for zed hunting though.

I can't speak for other weapons, but AK variants are all 1 hit kills on zombies.

The AKM is a one hit kill on zombies, I thought.

Personally I prefer the enfield now, it's badass, has better accuracy and the noise levels arn't so different anymore and is almost always a one hit kill on things.

Things like the m16 have burst fire for a reason, that burst 'will' kill most things if you aim it well.

Yeah you can shoot a soldier Zed with an AKM and he'll go down.

I had an AKM once, it was glorious but loud, then I stuck in bugland and I can't leave.

Military rifles are rare? Wtf? AKM is common as hell, easy to find ammo, 1 hits zombies etc etc. The rest of the AK's, M4's and M16's are considered moderate. I found an AK74 Kobra, M16A2 and M16A2 M203 before I even came across a winchester...It's all about knowing where to go.

Also lol, get into a firefight with a winchester vs someone with a Military automatic, I doubt you'll win.

I'll take ammo count over firepower any day. Winchester for life!

You guys are forgetting 1 key thing. 30 round mag vs 15 round tube. Technically you can carry more ammo with an assault rifle then you can with a Winchester, while the ammo may take a little more digging to find you get more of it for less space. If you use your ammo sparingly and pull hs it will last you. If not rate of fire would put you at an advantage over a winny if you get in a tough spot (you better not miss with that winny).

You guys are forgetting 1 key thing. 30 round mag vs 15 round tube. Technically you can carry more ammo with an assault rifle then you can with a Winchester' date=' while the ammo may take a little more digging to find you get more of it for less space. If you use your ammo sparingly and pull hs it will last you. If not rate of fire would put you at an advantage over a winny if you get in a tough spot (you better not miss with that winny).

[/quote']

That's amazing, you just actually used ammo availability as a reason to choose an assault rifle over the winny.

I don't know, I've only run across 2 AKM's and both only had two clips. never found any clips for the AKM beyond that.

I find enough Winny ammo to fill my pack in almost every village. Seems to be as common as empty cans.

I currently have 5 Stanag mags for my CCO and 7 akm mags for my back up akm. I find ammo all over the place you just gotta know where to look. I think I've come across more assault rifles then I have Winchesters, that is honest truth the winny seems to evade me.

I would say the AKM is superior to the Winney, like dekciW saids, 30 shots in the magazine and the projectile is 7,62mm which has significantly more stopping power compared to other assault rifles 5,56mm.

Ammunition wise I agree, you'll find more for the winney but, depending on playstyle, you probably aren't using your main weapon all that often compared to your sidearm.

Assaultrifles do have fire rate, range and precision in their favour but the winney is a damn good 'all around' companion.

I'm guessing all the people claiming that STANAG ammo is rare have never found a box of 20 normal and 10 SD mags.

I currently try to carry on average of 10 STANAG mags for my weapon (300 rounds).

I think the winchester is VERY nice vs zeds ... 1 hit kill, 15 shots, not so loud. I wield one myself atm :)

But if you want to kill a player or have to defend yourself from a player an automatic weapon is way better I suppose. You will drop the other player very fast even if you're not that accurate. With the Winchester you have to hit at least 2 shots. And there is some time in between shots. It's not much but it might make the difference of living or dying!

Winchester: bad accuracy at longer ranges, delay between each shot, 15 round magazine

Any other assault rifle: accurate at longer ranges, no delay between firing (burst/auto modes even), 30 round magazine

The fact of the matter is that the Winchester IS NOT a bad gun when it comes to hiding in chern/elek.. But when you are in a firefight with someone who has an assault rifle, chances are you are going to be the one killed. I for one would much rather be walking around with an assault rifle if I get shot at, because I know I will stand a better chance..

I think the crossbow and the makarov are the only weapons worth the ammo now. Assuming you disturb one zombie with every venture into an area, those are the only weapons where you will lose less ammo than you find assuming it spawns, except for deer stands where you can take down zombies with anything, or even basejump them from the mountain near the stands if you don't feel like spending ammo. The other silenced weapons are extremely weak and take several shots to down a zed, which compounds with their rarity to make them functionless as weapons for most of the time you'll carry them.

If you don't disturb zombies when you go foraging, then you don't need ammo anyway and might as well fill your inventory with empty soda cans.

As for PVP, every weapon is the same because it all depends on who gets the drop on who.

I have a MK48 Mod 0 with 3 boxes of ammo (which contain a 100 bullets each). Even though they're not common it's not that hard to find another box if you know where the deerstands are. The MK48 kills zombies with one shot, has a decent rate of fire, long range and huge ammo capacity compared to most weapons. The only big downside to the weapon is that (imo) it makes a shit ton of noise when fired. Sure, you have the ammo and firepower to mow down a whole horde of zombies with ease, but there's also the danger of other players hearing you and possibly headhunting you for your weapon.

Light machine guns such as these outclass the winchester in almost every field, but are very hard to get. I personally find other military grade weapons such as the AK series and a big part of the M4 series decent, but other than that they're pretty standard. Some of the military grade weapons come with neat features such as tactical lights, night vision, holosights and whatnot. It is these features that make them stand out and make their usage outweigh the scarcity of their ammo.

But even with these weapons you'll always need a silent sidearm such as the marakov or a silenced weapon, it's impossible to get around with only loud firearms.

In Arma 2, I have always preferred high-power "battle rifles" over assault rifles for PvP. Well, truthfully, I have always preferred using a light machinegun over any other for PvP in Arma 2 but I haven't been able to find one in DayZ.

Thus, I use the M14 currently. Have had the opportunity to switch to a DMR but I'm not a great sniper and just want the "stopping power" the 7.62 NATO provides and can hit individual targets out to 300m with the Aimpoint anyway.

For Zeds, I have (literally) never used anything other than a pistol. It's just a grotesque waste of ammo to use anything else. I prefer the 1911 due to the stopping power and low noise, but I can usually land headshots anyways.

My advice to a new player would be to hang on to your first AKM at all cost. Get used to the iron sights, on the AK series weapons they offer a fantastic field of view. An AKM Will 2-hit another player in PvP with shots to the center mass, and can reliably hit that center mass out to 300 meters. Relative to other weapons - like the M14 or DMR - mags are easy to come by. I have 7 mags for my rifle now but only by raiding player camps.

BTW, Arma 2 has long had a problem with 5.56/5.45-class rifle rounds. They lose A TON of power beyond about 250-300m and will require 4-5 shots to center mass to take down a target at that range. I'd still say an M4 or AK-74 is better than a Winchester due to rate of fire but keep in mind the AKM will give you better stopping power.