22nd_Chuck

Bandit tracking mechanic to help discourage random killing

I suggest that when studying a body, it should tell you who killed that individual, and how long ago that person was killed, what caliber of bullets are in his body, this would be a simple example of an ingame tool which would allow anti-pkers to punish the pkers, as it would enable people to track the mass murderer by following the body trail with the decreasing time of death.

While also allowing the more skilled pkers to hide the bodies in order to cover their tracks, or even dragging the bodies and placing them in such a way as to lead the anti-pkers into an ambush etc etc possibilities go on.

There has to be a compromise that is at the very least semi-realistic, as in real life that mass murderer would most probably have developed an MO which would set how his murders look appart from the rest, e.g if he uses a crossbow, the victim would always be shot in the same place, or a trophy taken from the body, this would be pretty hard to add into the game, so it does make sence that if a player has surpassed a certain ammount of kills that you could tell who he kills, and time of death could be justified by how body the warm is, and if its cold, it would display time of death as unknown.

Loosing all their gear and having to start over again, while everybody knows your a pker is punishment enough isnt it ?

Feel free to criticise, add, agree or completely dismiss the suggestion, i want to know what others think of this idea.

There is no "player killing" such in other game. There is a one of type of gameplay, when someone killing other survivor. That can be for weapon, food or equipment and don't need to classify that type of action as some kind of evil. Just look around and be careful.

Don't like the idea at all.

Do serial killers have a Modus Operandi? Some do, certainly. But what you're talking about is their Signature, something external that is unnecessary to complete the "crime" itself.

Let's say for a moment, that I'm a bandit serial killer. I shoot someone with the CZ550, then later I kill someone with the revolver, or perhaps a crossbow (because it needed to be a silent kill). Person's dead, wounds are different, all a person could tell from these two bodies is that one was shot with a hunting rifle, and the other was killed with a smaller calibre handgun or crossbow.

If you didn't see the murder take place, why should you know who committed it? There are already plenty of meta-game advantages for hunting bandits, from player names, to global chat, allowing for players killed by a bandit to converse with other players and try and take them down. And if the person who was killed died and didn't see their bandit killer? Well shit son, too bad, now you don't get to meta-game.

Eh all this encourages is route away from killing zombies and zombie survival to a murder/revenge gamestyle which isnt why Im here -_-' If I wanted that Id actually kill someone or be a vigilante in rl >.>

This would encourage the random killing of bandits, who are in all likelihood minding their own business at the time.

Look at it this way, you're outnumbered and EVERYONE knows where you are and is out to kill you. How do you feel knowing that you WILL die and when you spawn you will be hunted again without repercussions because you're supposedly the bad guy?

The so called "solutions" that have been proposed to "solve" the "bandit problem" only perpetuate the "mindless violence" you guys seem to hate so much. They (The vast majority of your ideas as a collective) detract from the overall experience of the game. I say get rid of the bandit model and morality all together and let things play out the way they play out.

Grow balls and quit bitching about a core component of the game.

I like the idea of knowing the name of the corpse, how they died, roughly when they died, and what killed them, this at-least gives you a warning to your own current situation.

If the body is cold and dead a few hours you know your fine, if it's still warm and very recent and has a sniper wound you know to get the hell out of there or at-least take cover and be cautious.

I dont think there is a bandit problem at all, im one of the bad bandits out there afterall, (http://www.dayzmod.com/leader/murdersa.php) but im the kind of bandit that only uses his trusty AK with ironsights, and does not kill people who only carry a pistol.

But you cannot say it would not be fun to be able to lure a mob of Bandit hunters into an ambush.