Sign in to follow this  
steevz

Yet another fps thread.. specs sufficient?

Alright, so I've messed with all the settings over and over and I get not much noticable change in fps. I did do the RAMDisk mod, and it worked to eliminate stuttering.

My problem seems to be more, my frames start "okay" and degrade.. like 30-40 wilderness, which will drop down to 25.. and 10-20 in towns, 10 in cities..

My specs:

C2Q Q6700 @ 3.4Ghz <-- I think my CPU might be my issue..

6GB DDR2

HD6950 1GB (Newest drivers)

Win7 x64

Settings:

Object detail - low

Shadows - High

AA - off

Aniso - Low

rez and 3d rez - 1680x1050

w/ DayZ mod running from RAMDisk

I've tried using the shortcut commands like -winxp, cpu count, exthreads, ect.. didn't make a difference. If I set affinity to 2 or 4 cores, my fps stays the same.

Anyone got some ideas? I know there are like 100 of these threads.. I'd like you guys to comment on my specs mostly.. and any tips you might have would be good.

Those shadows are probably what's killing you. Try setting those to low (or off if possible) and switch your resolution to 1024x768.

Well, the reason I put them on High is because I heard that High and Very High force GPU to render shadows, where low and medium use your CPU. Also, on LOW my FPS are probably worse. Before RAMDisk and having shadows on Low I was getting about 15-20 wilderness, like 7-10 in city.

Edit: So, turning off shadows gave me an extra 3 FPS. Changing resolution to 1440x900 didn't do anything for me.

Edited by steevz

Well, the reason I put them on High is because I heard that High and Very High force GPU to render shadows, where low and medium use your CPU. Also, on LOW my FPS are probably worse. Before RAMDisk and having shadows on Low I was getting about 15-20 wilderness, like 7-10 in city.

Edit: So, turning off shadows gave me an extra 3 FPS. Changing resolution to 1440x900 didn't do anything for me.

CPU is about 4 years old, I'd say update your CPU (i dont use intel) to probably a i5 from which I hear is a good price for preformance cpu. Also it could be the server as for when they're maxed/out laggy they lower your fps quite some.

Edited by Netsky3041

Arma II is CPU intensive, especialy since its single thread.