Sign in to follow this  
miket

Vehicles despawned on server restart, hours wasted

So our clan found a truck a while back and managed to get it back to our base.

We had to repair it quite extensively before it was drivable.

Yesterday, the truck was stolen from our base by a small group of enemies whilst only a few of us were online.

We chased the truck as far as we could on foot and one of our members managed to find it whilst on a bicycle and shadow it for kilometers whilst other people got into position. Eventually they stopped and whilst they weren't looking at the vehicle, he jumped in and drove off as quick as possible with the enemies in persuit, whilst a few of our people got into position to ambush them.

The truck got its tires shot out before they could be lured into the ambush, and after an exchange of fire the enemies ALT+F4'd to try and survive.

With the tires out, the truck wasn't going anywhere.

Whilst this was happening, I stumbled across an operable bus while persuing the truck on foot. I waited for two of my clan mates to catch and we drove the bus back to base.

A group then set out to try and find enough tires to repair the truck and get it back on the road.

After serveral hours of searching, the group finally managed to get enough tires back to the truck to repair it, and we had a fully operable truck and bus ready to head back to base. Then the server restart message came up, saying the server would restart in 10 minutes. We saved both the bus and the truck, and then kept overwatch on the vehicles until the server shut down.

When the server restarted, both the bus and the truck were gone.

We traced the exact route the truck and bus had taken thinking it might've been spawned somewhere else on server up, but could find neither bus or truck after several hours of searching.

All I can really say is that this majorly blows.

The time my clan spent chasing the truck, the fighting to get it back, the time spent searching for tires, and the time spent driving down in the bus to give support were all wasted. Every minute of it.

Now we are down a bus and a truck, and several manhours of work.

I hope this kind of thing is fixed very soon.

Edited by MykeMichail

They should be back on another restart I've noticed sometimes upon server restarts vehicles aren't spawned at all till a restart..

Do not despair, this will be fixed in the standalone, at least when it's released paying customers will be able to demand fixes. Think of the time you spent testing pre-release as beneficial

exprience that will give you advantage over new players later.

• Like 1

Something similar happened to me yesterday. I respawned after being beat to death by a zombie that got a lucky hit and broke my bones, and found a big Jeep on my way back up. I gathered my stuff and then started gathering supplies needed to fix it. By myself I found 2 Jerry cans, fuel parts, scrap metal, windows, 3 tires, and I spent 3 hours looking for a engine parts.

All in all I took about 7 hours to gather everything but the engine. I found a tent and I saved it in the Jeep. Went through 2 server resets, then the server started to have problems. ping went from 50 to 400 and i kept getting kicked. Well I was the only one on the server, and after 4 hours of not being able to play on the server it had a hard reboot. Came back and my day was wasted.

Iv read it has to do with the engine. Arma2 has an engine that isnt supportive of being a server on the same map more than 4 hours.

Iv read it has to do with the engine. Arma2 has an engine that isnt supportive of being a server on the same map more than 4 hours.

I doubt this is the case. I've played ArmA and ArmA 2 matches which lasted well over 6 hours.

I remember one game of ARMA with about 60 vs 60 players (it was modified), and we spent a good 4 hours defending one position, quite often firing at things we couldn't see because of trees but could hear where fire was coming from. And that was only half the battle.

Well maybe it was a theory. Im not exactly sure the extent of the engines capability, but that seems to be the leading trend on why servers go through such frequent resets. It could be that the game is still alpha and the bugs in the system code just messes up as it goes and it eventually builds up. Iv seen some patrol zombies just stand in place. You can walk strait up to them and all they do is look at you, not attack or nothing. I believe they will fix it soon. on a positive note, they are almost at 1 million unique players.

I'd just died the other day, so last night I went to this noob server with no pvp and you can see everything from players to animals with a white dot. (Even through mountains.)

Any ways, all I found after going through a shat ton of buildings was hatchets, crowbars, and vehicle parts. If you wants easy vehicle parts, go to this recruit server for noobs. :lol:

I left right away after finding nothing at all...