zsurvivalist

A Nice Spawn System

Alright, so my friend, Inu, is talking to me over Steam about making a base or something. I brought up tents. (Can they store items? Not sure.) He said, well what if tents could set spawn points.

Okay, that seems like a pretty good idea, but how would this work?

So you're walking around and find a good location for a base, or somewhere to hide a bunch of stuff that you can return to. Put it in your tent of course! But what if you die, then what about your tent, with all of it's loot and goodies inside it. Well that sucks, either it's going to be looted, lost, or you might actually find it.

Unless you could spawn at it. How this would work is, when you scroll through the menu, there would be a "Spawn Point" choice. Selecting that would allow you to, as said, spawn next to it. You could also remove your spawn point or others from the tent. (Others can steal it, but you can steal it back or prevent them from spawning there.)

"But that's not fair! What if it's right outside of the air field. You can keep coming back!" uh uh uh! What if you die within in a said radius of the tent, or if someone finds it and removes the spawn point. Then no. This would help with bases.

"Well, alright that's pretty good, but what if I put it IN my base and I die defending it?" Okay, you got me there, but this is a suggestion so I wouldn't know. But that's okay, because you can:

A: Put it away from your base so you can still spawn.

B: Screw the base, hide it in the middle of a forest.

Let me know what you think and if you have any ways to improve this idea.

I think the main argument against suggestion is that dying is supposed to be a huge loss and your character's life is supposed to mean something (Arma does a grand job at this in general.) However, you still lose all of your equipment. I feel like this would not detract too much from the fear of death seeing as your equipment is the most important thing.

I don't know, it was just a random thought. It'd be nice to hear opinions and/or possible improvements or reasons as to why this is a "bad" idea. It wouldn't be nice to see "Nope. Stupid." posts as that doesn't actually further any cause.

I'd like that, but with a min range from tent needed and a tent respawn cool down, like 30 mins.

I think this would break down the immersion, each time you die your skin is randomized and your totally new char with some basic supplies.

Now the point of the tent holding items is so when you log off (saying no one loots your stuff) most items will despawn and new stuff respawns at spawn locations what the tent provides is the ability to store that helicopter rotor you found or that giant sniper rifle you dont feel like you need to lug around with on your scavenging missions.

Though nice idea still.

Tents are Spawn points has already been discussed but what the hell it has fallen behind in the thread and myself I want it to happen so.

Yes Tents Should! be spawn points and I think we should have a POLL to settle this argument.

Point A - Tents are not common so finding one is a challange in it's own right.

Point B - Positioning the tent smartly would involve hiding it, putting it on the airfield itself is stupid cause you can't defend it 24/7 and so it'd be looted dry every time you log-off.

Plus the devs could likely make it so you Can't spawn tents close to towns or airfields etc so prevent this.

Point C - if your part of a group and you die, and spawn on the coast you waste the next 2-4 hours just finding your way back to camp, missing out on the fun and enjoyment in the game, it isn't overpowered or unfair to spawn on your tent, you still lose your gear.

Point D - It's fun, if you have a camp you go hunting for meat to stock, you do runs into town to fill bottles at the well, you stock ammo for guns you don't have yet making them more useful when you do find them, you end up near your friends who can come pick you up if you died recently.

Point E - Tents could be stolen, someone could find your tent empty it and take it forcing you to go find another. Or even ensure you always have a guard posted, it adds more to the game then it takes away.

Tents should do absolutely nothing in this game besides give you a dry place to sleep when it's raining. That's it. They aren't magical backpack extensions and they sure aren't special enough to be used for reincarnation.