Sign in to follow this  
Flydie

Possible server hopping fix

There is one big issue that affects DayZ's pvp and the challenge to collect items(people find a military item spawner and collect items from it by hopping from server to server). That is server hopping. People most of the times get their hunting gear out, go to a vantage point with their weapons and server hop to a more populated server to get some free kills. They also server hop when they are getting fired at and they know the location where somebody is shooting them - all it takes is to find another server, get to the location where they were fired from and server hop back to the initial server to get a free kill. This really plague's dayz's pvp.

My idea is this - whenever you join a diffrent server your spawning point gets reset. Here's an example: If a player logged out with his gear inside Chernogorsk in a server A and he joins server B, he doesn't spawn/log back to his initial location(for this example thats Chernogorsk), but he spawns with his full gear in one of the many coastal locations where people respawn after death. Let's say the player reaches Electro, logs out and joins back to server A. The player then doesn't spawn back inside Chernogorsk(where he first left of in server A) or Electro ( where he left server B ), but he spawns again on the coast with his full gear. Pretty much, every time you join a diffrent server - your spawn location gets reset, but you dont lose gear. Also, to avoid confusion, if you leave server A in Chernogorsk with your gear and after a while get back to server A, you spawn back in Chernogorsk with your full gear.

Personally, i think this feature can fix the hopping server exploit, because most of the people are already pretty static when it comes to servers due to the things like finding a closest server to you, your tents and vehicles you share with your friends save only in one of the servers. Yes, this will make people a little bit more static when it comes to servers, but not by much - people constantly move around the map, not staying inside one location for too long, so resetted spawning location feature won't damage the game.

Edited by Flydie

no... spawning at the coast everytime you join another server.. just no.. no, and more no.... not a solution. just a game breaker.

• Like 2

no... spawning at the coast everytime you join another server.. just no.. no, and more no.... not a solution. just a game breaker.

Agreed

¨People will then just camp the coast, for players to join.. and then we back to the start agien

I don't see whats so bad about it - most of people spend their time in one server already, they join another server for two reasons and those are:

1) They are going server hopping to get some free kills on a vantage location

2) The server really sucks

Yes, i do know this will require major server stability, but i dont see how " wait 5 min until you can join another server " will fix the issue.

¨People will then just camp the coast, for players to join.. and then we back to the start agien

I dont believe so. There is a SLIM chance a player even will change a server, there is even a slimmer chance that he will spawn somewhere where the some guy is camping due to the ammount of spawning locations in the game. No, its a very very very slim chance.

I don't see whats so bad about it - most of people spend their time in one server already, they join another server for two reasons and those are:

Yes, i do know this will require major server stability, but i dont see how " wait 5 min until you can join another server " will fix the issue.

Lets expand the list, starting with your second point:

2)The server really sucks .... due to

• Lagging
  • Hacking
  • generally glitchy

3) Friend joins another server, so you go join him

4) The server you normally play is down/not updated/ can not find when you search for it (although it was marked as a favorite), so you join another

• You now have multiple tents on different servers

There are many valid reasons to play on different severs. Spawning at the coast every time you start a server is a bad idea.

being in the north area on a server and then a friend cant join your server because of various problems. then trying to join a new server, letting you spawn on the coast just to get coast sniped when you decked out in gear. this is a HORRIBLE solution.. or not solution, destruction i mean. it would break the teamplay in the game into pieces and make everyone be on the coast always.

• Like 3

i dunno, i dont server hop, but everytime i play i join any random server with the lowest ping, so spawning at the coast every time seems like an unnecessary pain

being in the north area on a server and then a friend cant join your server because of various problems. then trying to join a new server, letting you spawn on the coast just to get coast sniped when you decked out in gear. this is a HORRIBLE solution.. or not solution, destruction i mean. it would break the teamplay in the game into pieces and make everyone be on the coast always.

Coast sniped? I dont believe there will be people that will be sitting on a specific coast location FOR HOURS and hours just for a slim chance that some player MAY be there ( especially when there are pvp grounds like elektro and cherno ). And for the server - as i told, the servers need to be stable for this solution to work, but they are pretty stable at the moment in my opinion. I never had a problem when i can join and a friend cant...

Coast sniped? I dont believe there will be people that will be sitting on a specific coast location FOR HOURS and hours just for a slim chance that some player MAY be there ( especially when there are pvp grounds like elektro and cherno ). And for the server - as i told, the servers need to be stable for this solution to work, but they are pretty stable at the moment in my opinion. I never had a problem when i can join and a friend cant...

haha its funny you say this, i snipe people who barely spawn in kamenka/kamorovo and have no gear all the time, your idea btw is pretty bad, its more of a hassle than a solution

You can't fix it like that. What about those of us who have to server hop to avoid hackers, laggy servers, graphical artifacts, etc...? How can you accurately make the dinstinction between good & bad hoppers? Server logs? Do those logs tell you exactly how much a player has moved or how long a player has been in a particular spot? I don't know, I don't run a server. And if you can make that distinction, where/what is the threshold to determine server hopping? Fixes like those mentioned in the OP will punish good players also. If you can't clearly make the distinction I've mentioned then it's going to be hard to find a viable solution.

Whats wrong with you? How you dare to suggest this? This is just a game breaker, will RUIN the game. Just an EPIC NO!

by now seeing the comments you should be aware your "solution" wont ever work. and since you question wether there will be coast snipers. i believe you havnt played Dayz for long.