dobrowney

Ingame Communication

I have been trying to figure out how to setup a group and do group chat. Anyone know how to make group chat work ingame?

there isn't a way to do it in game.

honestly the best thing to do is just use some kind of voip (steam, ts, vent, mumble, skype)

Dumb. Group chat worked in Arma 2 but not in the mod. They are dumb they keep killing all chat lines.

It is more realistic to not be chatting across 221km2 of land with Side Chat, and Group Chat.

Use direct communication, or a voip.

• Like 1

I came to the forums wondering the same thing... I haven't figured out how to communicate with fellow players at all. :( So far I've been shot at twice, and run over by a four-wheeler once, lol. I don't really mind, since I'm new at the game it's not like I have a lot to lose yet, but still... would be nice to be able to at least say something so that other players know I'm 1) not worth killing and 2) friendly. /shrug

well you can try using the direct channel but it doesn't mean that people will stop killing you

some people don't care/believe that you are friendly or not worth killing

• Like 1

I came to the forums wondering the same thing... I haven't figured out how to communicate with fellow players at all. :( So far I've been shot at twice, and run over by a four-wheeler once, lol. I don't really mind, since I'm new at the game it's not like I have a lot to lose yet, but still... would be nice to be able to at least say something so that other players know I'm 1) not worth killing and 2) friendly. /shrug

Ya to communicate you want to use Direct Communication channel but as stated, that won't help you not get shot :) Only enables them to hear you cry :\

• Like 1

After watching an ongoing series on youtube (Let's play together DayZ) I was really digging this game and decided to buy Arma II (which I am never going to play) just for this mod. Surprisingly there have been made some changes although the vids on youtube didn't show those changes and they are just over a month old.

1. You can't chat anymore

2. Now you spawn only with a flashlight instead of a Makarov

3. The Zombies can see you from far away in broad daylight

I googled it and it's said only direct chat and voice chat is possible. I haven't tried voice chat but direct chat doesn't seem to work. I can change the channels from global to group and direct etc. but how can you type anything? I don't get the prompt for typing.

So I want to know if it is possible to direct chat (how?) and voice chat? Or are these features gone?

1. Chatting lagged servers so it was taken out

2. Players kept killing each other on the coast and plus it was too easy spawning with a makarov.

3. I have noticed that also, it should be fixed in the next DayZ patch.

Direct chat is possible, to bring up the direct chat press , . keys it will say what channel is activated on bottom left of the screen, to type press / and a box will appear, to talk press caps lock. Players within a certain distance will be able to hear you.

Edited by FrankFisher

. and , to choose your chat mode. - to start typing.

Direct Communication: people near you hear if you speak or type. Use caps lock (default) to speak.

Global and anything else are just useless afaik.

Don't bother with direct chat just shoot on sight, apparently this is "Working as intended"

Edited by Huntra

Ok, thanks. I will try it the "-" for typing as "/" wasn't working for me. I have a german keyboard so I guess the english "/" is different than the german one.

As for "shoot on sight", yeah that happened to me twice. The first one was a sniper who shot my while I was going for the firestation in Elektro. Somehow I survived although my blood was down to 1000. I tried to make my way to the supermarket to regain some blood with beans but there was another guy who shot me dead. I didn't even see him. Now I have decided to stay out of the big cities.

Another question, is there any way to stash your rifle and use the hatchet as primary for Zombies? I tried to exchange the rifle with the hatchet but that only resulted in losing my rifle.

In direct chat people can read your stuff within a radius of 40 meters and hear your voice within a radius of up to 80 meters.

Another question, is there any way to stash your rifle and use the hatchet as primary for Zombies? I tried to exchange the rifle with the hatchet but that only resulted in losing my rifle.

If you want to use your hatchet you need to stash your main weapon either in your inventory or your backpack. Main weapons need 10 free slots + 1 slot for each magazine (2 for each when using an LMG).

If you transfer your (equipped) weapon to your backpack and you just have 10 free slots for the weapon itself it will be destroyed permanently because the system will try to transfer all corresponding magazines along with it.

So be very careful with that :)

Edited by meric

Ah ok thank you very much. I guess then I will just stick to the hatchet and a gun.

Another thing, I have decided to avoid the big cities atleast during daylight. Do you have any suggestions where I should go? North probably but where exactly?

Ah ok thank you very much. I guess then I will just stick to the hatchet and a gun.

Another thing, I have decided to avoid the big cities atleast during daylight. Do you have any suggestions where I should go? North probably but where exactly?

The Axe/Hatchet is very effective and silent.

It has a good range and kills with 1 hit.

I have survived with it 3 game-days, and killed 22 Zombies with the Axe. I have a .45 revolver for self-defense against other players.

Go prone/lie-down when using the Axe, Zombies often won't hit hit you with their first blow when you lie down, also the Axe, if timed properly, can hit them before they get close enough to hit you.

The "monkey" Zombies that crouch-jump, and crawl, are easy to kill since they need to stand up before they attack you.

I generally stay away from the big cities also, no need to seek out trouble actively, trouble will find you eventually :)

The airfields, and ruined castles have some OK loot.

Once you find some matches, and have a hunting knife, and an Axe, food is not going to be an issue.

There are lot of animals to kill to get some meat, and with the axe you can chop wood, and with the matches you can make a fireplace to cook the meat.

Can't wait for my hunting experience. Although I did try to hunt a bunny with my hatchet. It didn't turn out that well. So do I have to shoot them or should I go for the bigger prey?

Can't wait for my hunting experience. Although I did try to hunt a bunny with my hatchet. It didn't turn out that well. So do I have to shoot them or should I go for the bigger prey?

Go for goats, and pigs/ Wild Boars, just run up to them and give them a whack with the Axe.

Goats give 4 pieces of meat (as far as I remember) Pigs/Wild Boars give up to 5 pieces of meat.

So I am not clear on the chat I hit , to scroll through channels wether it be direct communication or group chat(which I dont think you can even group in game so that seems odd) but people never repond back that are in front of me luckily one guy didnt kill me but I said I was unarmed etc in direct chat but no go is there no typing in the game?

Direct - Dynamic sound channel that has a range of 80 meters. You may also type and anyone within that range can see it.

Group - It appears the only people who can receive this channel are those in the lobby or dead. "Group" in Arma 2 refers to a tactical grouping, but in Day Z everyone is in the same group. I'm not exactly sure the intended use of this channel.

Vehicle - All those in a vehicle with you.

comma ',' selects channel and caps lock activates voip. Forward slash allows you to type.

Direct - Dynamic sound channel that has a range of 80 meters. You may also type and anyone within that range can see it.

Group - It appears the only people who can receive this channel are those in the lobby or dead. "Group" in Arma 2 refers to a tactical grouping, but in Day Z everyone is in the same group. I'm not exactly sure the intended use of this channel.

Vehicle - All those in a vehicle with you.

comma ',' selects channel and caps lock activates voip. Forward slash allows you to type.

This except typing has a reduced range of 50m~ In direct chat.

Edited by ThatGuyCalledReptile

ah ok well he was almost on top of me and didnt respond guess maybe he didnt know how or was just being silent.

Always use Direct Communication. Limited range. Exact range value varies from server to server. On average it's roughly 50 - 70m. Also, if you're being ignored all the time, you may not actually be transmitting (even though you're pressing caps lock). Here's the reason/solution: http://dayzmod.com/f...e-announcement/

Edited by Stings2pee

I haven't tried voice chat but direct chat doesn't seem to work.

To type via Direct Communication you must press the slash key (the question mark key) [ / ]. Also, a lot of people can't seem to be heard over Direct Communication (when pressing caps lock to transmit voice). Here's the reason/solution: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/64413-a-public-service-announcement/