Sign in to follow this  
Sinvex

Suggestion: Ability to drink from water source w/o canteen

I'd like to see the ability to drink from fresh water sources without having a canteen.

Call me crazy, but I just don't see how dying of thirst standing right next to a water pump or a fresh water lake (just because you don't happen to have a water bottle handy) as being very realistic.

Or maybe at least let us fill up those empty cans that are laying all over the place and drink out of those?

• Like 22

Been suggested before, I like the idea of the water canteens though as it forces you to go actively look for one of them and if you can't find one, you need to get a can of soft drink or you will start to die.

I totally agree man,it 100% contradicts realism of this game.

Another example:

How is that possible that even after 5 cans of beans your character never farts?

I mean seriously people ...add some realism!

First thing I said after playing Day Z, why can't I drink this pond water, I'm dying of thirst.

As long as you cant put those cans away for later im all with this idea

As long as its an empty can sure. Not carrying a can of water around to drink later, that would be going full retard, kinda like not being able to drink from a pond because you don't have a canteen.

I'd like to see the ability to drink from fresh water sources without having a canteen.

Call me crazy, but I just don't see how dying of thirst standing right next to a water pump or a fresh water lake (just because you don't happen to have a water bottle handy) as being very realistic.

Or maybe at least let us fill up those empty cans that are laying all over the place and drink out of those?

thats also my opinion: it should be possible to drink from a pond without a canteen.. to balance this, the developers can make the drinks in the game more rare..

In addition to this, perhaps make it possible to eat raw meat with a high chance of getting sick.

This "sick" status would make your character's aim shake and you'd have a chance of vomitting. Throwing up would immediately send your food and water down by a color level (green to yellow, yellow to orange, orange to red) and make noise that either other players could hear or zombies would investigate. I suppose the same could be done for direct pond-water too with canteens sort of representing water purification tools as opposed to just a canteen. (That's how I think of them now at least.)

Oooh good idea. Perhaps include ability to drink from water sources, but then also include water purification tablets?

Water directly drunk from a pool or pump is impure, even if placed in a canteen. Adding water purification tablets to the canteen, or even boiling it over water would make it safe to drink.

Drinking impure water could restore the thirst meter as much as clean water, but also includes a risk of infection

• Like 2

Standing in/near dirty water source.

Drink water --> small chance of sickness --> take antibiotics.

Fill canteen --> drink dirty water --> small chance of sickness --> take antibiotics.

Fill canteen --> build campfire --> boil canteen --> drink clean water --> no chance of sickness.

• Like 2

Oooh good idea. Perhaps include ability to drink from water sources, but then also include water purification tablets?

Water directly drunk from a pool or pump is impure, even if placed in a canteen. Adding water purification tablets to the canteen, or even boiling it over water would make it safe to drink.

Drinking impure water could restore the thirst meter as much as clean water, but also includes a risk of infection

Water from a pump should always be safe to drink, freshwater lakes maybe not so much, generally irl they would be if there is plant life growing, moss etc. to an extent. It's not exactly Dasani but it'll keep you from drying up.

I totally agree with this. Having died a few times because of being unable to find anything to drink (even in several low and medium yield loot spots), and being near a water pump, its very frustrating :S

Water from a pump should always be safe to drink, freshwater lakes maybe not so much, generally irl they would be if there is plant life growing, moss etc. to an extent. It's not exactly Dasani but it'll keep you from drying up.

My thinking was zombie apocalypse -> contaminated water supplies

Possibly a tenuous link, but feasible? Think bodies in water sources etc

Edited by Warped_Jack

Most of those pumps tap groundwater though. But that's neither here nor there.

Edited by Dekartz

They could start us with a fort and a pile of guns, but that'd skip over the initial panic of having nothing too, so, I disagree.

I did once die of dehydration while fully submerged in a fresh water lake.

So have some beans.

Which is my point entirely with this suggestion. Don't make me use the Chewbacca defense.