Sign in to follow this  
Sando

Movement away from 'tiers' of weapons

Currently in DayZ there are certain 'tiers' of weapons, and this has been amplified with the recent weapon changes from ArmA. What this effectively creates is an elite of players who get high tier military weapons, allowing them to gather more effectively, allowing them to hoard more and ensuring they basically never have to worry about early game again. The reason there are tiers is not because these weapons are more damaging, which of course is required, but that they are simply better (or at least equal) in every way. Ammo for these guns isn't any rarer than the mid-tier weapons, they don't create any extra noise, etc etc. You in effect give up literally nothing, in exchange for much high damage and range.

DayZ is about choice, yet this is effectively removing choice. There's none of the subtlety of choosing between a high-dmg weapon with low ammo spawns and a medium damage weapon with abundant ammo. Some of the low-medium level weapons need to be buffed in ways other than damage, and military level weapons need to be nerfed in ways other than damage or optics. The two most obvious are sound and ammo spawns.

Military weapons are not too powerful, but they don't have any/enough tradeoffs to make people even consider not using them.

• Like 4

I would really like to see this idea implemented as it would make the game work more around playstyle other then the current, find hte best gear or your screwed

The sound on the higher tier weapons are pretty much the loudest. the only thing right in your post *could* be is the ammo spawns.

Edited by renulan

The sound on the higher tier weapons are pretty much the loudest. the only thing right in your post *could* be is the ammo spawns.

The Lee Enfield is louder than any gun but the .50 calibers. The M249 Light Machine Gun is about as loud as a pistol. The only weapons with audible ranges more than half of their effective range are the shotguns and pistols. All of the military weapons are effectively silent past half of their effective range.

This guy's post is right in that much.

Edited by BazBake
  • Like 1

Make zombies much much more sensitive to hearing.

As soon as you fire that pistol, it's like dinner bell but not nearly as loud.

If you make the choice of shooting a gun a bad idea in the first place, it will change how players will decide to do so.

Like in walking dead, the lore of shooting a gun generally is a bad idea, it attracts HUGE hordes of zombies to the shooter.

Edited by dra6o0n

1st, the game isn't about choice, it's about risk/reward.

2nd Nope. no need to introduce communism to the guns as far as changing gun damage and optics, after all this game is a "simulator"

MAYBE changing the spawning rate of ammo and weapons

but they go to dangerous/high traffic area's of the map to get those high tier weapons. for that risk they deserve a reward, rather then being on the same playing field as someone who is staying away from those places.

Also adding more group play features will ease up on the PvP witch is half of the problem

1st, the game isn't about choice, it's about risk/reward.

2nd Nope. no need to introduce communism to the guns as far as changing gun damage and optics, after all this game is a "simulator"

MAYBE changing the spawning rate of ammo and weapons

but they go to dangerous/high traffic area's of the map to get those high tier weapons. for that risk they deserve a reward, rather then being on the same playing field as someone who is staying away from those places.

Also adding more group play features will ease up on the PvP witch is half of the problem

You realize that those are only dangerous/high traffic areas because they're dangerous/high traffic areas. The more the game nerfs everything but military weapons, the more people are funneled into those areas to farm for military weapons.

It's circular logic. Those areas weren't designed to be more dangerous, they just ended up being more dangerous because players started killing each other for loot. In fact, if no one killed anyone for loot, there would be plenty of loot for everybody.

Which is why, no matter what changes are made to the game, there's room to accommodate it. Because the game wasn't designed the way it's being played, it's just how the social structure developed incidentally due to courting and ushering by player feedback. If player feedback changes and pushes it a different way, then the game is evolving the exact same way it evolved to get here in the first place.

Funny how that works out.

P.S., Gun damage tables and scoping aren't accurate at all. So you calling it a "simulator" to defend the fact that it doesn't actually simulate anything except VIDEOGAME PHYSICSTM is kind of funny. The Lee-Enfield shoots a decent-sized bullet a really long distance and does twice as much damage than the M1014 which shoots a bullet 8 times heavier capable of actually removing peoples' heads in real life. When the Lee-Enfield was in use, it couldn't even kill people at point blank with almost a half dozen rounds. Heck, the hatchet does a third of the Lee-Enfield damage but you can actually remove entire limbs with them in real life in a single blow. Come on now, you seriously think this game is a simulator instead of a military fantasy arcade?

Edited by BazBake
  • Like 2

Ok, so make it to where there is enough loot for everyone! now what.

I dont agree, the decent sniper riffles pull in zombies from half way across the map, and the ammo spawns for decent weapons are often very rare. i had to patrol the map twice just to get 1 Stanag SD magazine

There's NOT supposed to be enough loot for everyone... that's the point... This isn't random weekend trip to Walmart, it's the fucking zombie apocalypse and a single bullet or bandage is the difference between life and death...

Huh? I just think that non-military should be viable options for certain playstyles. If you want/need the highest damage stuff, then for sure, go military, but some advantages of an AK might be nice, like sound/ammo abundancy.

I dont agree, the decent sniper riffles pull in zombies from half way across the map, and the ammo spawns for decent weapons are often very rare. i had to patrol the map twice just to get 1 Stanag SD magazine

Everything pulls zombies from everywhere now, that's sort of my point. If everything pulls zombies, sound becomes a meaningless 'stat' on guns. I don't think I've ever gotten away from the coast on a character and not ended up with 3-4 stanag mags for my non-existent gun. SD rounds, yeah they seem pretty rare, which is a good thing.

I specifically said that they should leave gun damage and optics alone...and tinker with other things like ammo spawns and sound. Maybe in the future repairing weapons could be a thing. Military weapons should 100% have damage/optics advantages, but they should lose out on other things like ammo spawns.