S_poon

I AM SHUTTING DOWN US 450!!!

This rampant hacking is out of control. I will no pay for a server for this community only to have it constantly plagued by hackers I can do nothing about.

I am shutting down my server until such a time as the dev's decide to stop being *edit* (Sorry the language was uncalled for) and let us police our servers. I sincerely hope the rest of you admins do the same.

Lets see their attitude when all the servers start going down.

Edited by S_poon
  • Like 24

I agree with spoon. The hacking is way outta control and not being able to actually moderate the servers we pay for is stupid as hell.

If I had a server I would shut it down too but calling the devs bitches out of anger is just lols for scripters. I do get it though.

Yeah I don't think this is the proper response to all the hacking. This is basically admitting defeat. I understand that there's a lot of frustration with not being able to police your server as much as you'd like though.

Whats even better is my script log is logging ABSOLUTELY nothing at all. What am I supposed to do with that?

I can't ban people, because I can't prove shit.

Edited by S_poon
  • Like 1

After looking at server report forums... Servers And admins are reported for every little thing. Kind of takes the ffun out of buying a server anyways.

• Like 1

I am very unhappy about the hacker situation too.

But I will still keep my servers up.

• Like 3

All of my script logs say exactly this:

//new

And nothing else. Exactly 8 bytes big.

Reason why I am keeping mine up. Not going to lose my cool and shut it down, how can they analyze any data on the hackers if there are no servers around to collect data?

Just saying.

Official Servers

• Like 2

I think it all depends on perspective as well. You're providing a very generous service to the community with keeping your server up. It may just be one of many, but people play on it and are enjoying themselves. Eventually things will get better, but the support of you and others right now are what is keeping everything afloat.

Give us more control, or the tools to prove what we need to. Thats all I ask. I love this game. I paid for our clan's server 1 day in. I want to support this mod I really do. But I "fight" the hackers and I get dragged through the mud on the forums for banning people, admin abuse and whatever else.

• Like 1

frankly between the hackers and the scumbag server admins, Rocket should go with official servers only

BIS should be footing the bill for this little experiment since they are the ones making money from it

Whats more is I can't get access to any kind of admin group or channel because, according HFB I dont need it. DayZ Dev's deny my request because HFB wont give me necessary information.

What am I supposed to do? I don't want to start posting peoples private IP's on a public forum.

The discussion to shut down our server too, has started.

We've been running servers for 12 years. CS, CSS, L4D, BF2, BC2, BF3 and DayZ. We've had top 3 ranked servers across Asia, 2nd ranked servers in the world, 1st ranked servers in the UK, and love DayZ, but our dayz server has been under attack constantly for the last 5 days and even though we're following the TOS to the letter, we're close to giving up.

• Like 11

The discussion to shut down our server too, has started.

We've been running servers for 12 years. CS, CSS, L4D, BF2, BC2, BF3 and DayZ. We've had top 3 ranked servers across Asia, 2nd ranked servers in the world, 1st ranked servers in the UK, and love DayZ, but our dayz server has been under attack constantly for the last 5 days and even though we're following the TOS to the letter, we're close to giving up.

Exactly the same situation here. Shut the server down for a full day, with in 15 minutes of bringing it back up, Thunderdomed. Twice. And then invisible speedhacking kills all evening.

• Like 1

if you have the private ips just black list them from connecting to the physical server

most script kiddies are too impatient to proxy or change their ips

that's really the only thing you can do for now :\

edit: PS

are you sure your log files are configured correctly? I haven't heard of scripters being able to manipulate server settings to that extent...

Edited by Not a bandit

start a private server if you can Spoon. Only real way to have control. Much like Osirich, I have had servers before on other games, and I would never personally pay for a DayZ server, the rules, while somewhat understandable considering the hive element, are utter bullshit. I know, kind of a contradiction.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Rocket and whom ever should support a set amount of servers connected to the main hive and let other players have their own servers. Private servers seem to be the way to go as of late, for me at least.

Either way, thank you for trying, and I personally appreciate you having a server for the time you did.

if you have the private ips just black list them from connecting to the physical server

most script kiddies are too impatient to proxy or change their ips

that's really the only thing you can do for now :\

edit: PS

are you sure your log files are configured correctly? I haven't heard of scripters being able to manipulate server settings to that extent...

I would love to, but I can't get any information from a script log that says nothing.

I can glean small amounts of info from the server report, but that does little good, as there is a hell of alot of information in there in a format that is difficult to read. And im just me.

TOOLS! PLEASE!

Edited by S_poon

The log file issue is something else. I am pretty sure its not only my server. And regardless I have no control over that thanks to the Dev's requesting the removal of FTP access to the Admins.

I hear many people shutting down the servers because of the hackers.If they don't fix this soon DayZ will die slowly and if they want to sell when it comes to full release good luck to them the damage would have already be done. If I was Rocket and crew I would asap a fix for this, what I would do is have the people reporting hacking on the servers submit tickets to Rocket and grant him access to the server and realize who is doing it and perma ban them and see what the problem is and fix it. Only way they will fix it is being part of it. They have the tool that most server admins don't. I was on a server just a little while ago and attacked somene and then 1 minute later I get killed with no one around me. Its sad but I just hope they fix this before it becomes the death of DayZ.

Edited by Pure

what I would do is have the people reporting hacking on the servers summit tickets to Rocket and grant him access to the server and realize who is doing it and perma ban them and see what the problem is and fix it
On paper that may seem like a reasonable idea but it is not at all realistic, tickets would pile up and overwhelm Rocket and company.

Server admins need total control, period. And if players for whatever reason don't like how said server is run, then they should find a new server. That's how its been forever with damn near every game.

The reason this becomes unique is because the hive and the fact the game is perpetual, people freak out ( understandably ) when a clan server is locked and there is activity going on. The only reason this becomes an issue is because of the hive, those players can loot and farm their closed server and jump to another one.

Most of the bullshit rules that cripple server admins are in place for hive integrity. So I say get rid of the hive. Or make it an option, if a server wants to be part of the main collective then it needs to follow the rules (whatever they may be) of the hive. If they don't want to be a part of the main hive let them run their server how they see fit. Ban whomever whenever, lock it if they want, kick who they want when they want etc etc etc. They need to allow the community to grow and develop, not stifle it.