Sign in to follow this  
Doomlord52

Im done for now

So I've been playing this mod for a few weeks now (almost 3), and I have to say, its really good. The mechanics are solid, the gameplay is good, and the technical back-end is fairly solid. However, im quitting for one reason, and one reason only:

The doors. They kill you.

This is the fourth time its happened. I'll spend a few hours getting gear, playing for a few days - hey, I even found a truck this time - , and I'll get to NWAF. I'll head to the barracks to try and get some of that 'awesome' gear. I'll hit "open door", the door will open, it touches me, breaks my legs, starts making me bleeding, and then kills me, all within a second or two.

I bug-reported this, and there's been no change. Yes, some people have said 'this is an Arma bug'. That's cool, but its not cool when dying to a door causes you to loose lots and lots of gear, with no way of getting it back. And im sure its easily fixable - just give the doors a no-clip property. The zombies already have this (somehow).

I'm fine with vehicles breaking easily, im fine with people sniping - all of that is part of the game. I like how the game is hard, and how its got 'perma-death' for characters. It makes the game fun, exciting, and challenging. Its all cool. However, its not OK when you get killed by stuff that makes no sense. Getting killed by doors is insane.

I'll come back when its fixed, or I might even play a bit every now and then with friends. However, I dont see the point of continuing when the most trivial stuff will kill me.

/edit

Some people will say "its an alpha" or "its a pre-alpha". That's cool. I've done some game design myself (google my username if you must), and I know what it's like to have crazy bugs in your stuff. However, people have been reporting this for a while. In addition, the latest 'bug-fixes' have been mostly non-critical. You SHOULD be working to get the general concept of the game working, before getting smaller aspects working (like having a DayZ loading screen or logo).

So yea, when its fixed, I'll be back.

/edit 2

To those who say "just be careful". That's cool. I have been, but we all make mistakes (or the game bugs). Im not whining about some mistake I made - like getting sniped, or owned by zombies. The fact is, thid SHOULD NOT happen. There is absolutely zero logic to being killed by doors - and this is my complaint.

Edited by Doomlord52
  • Like 4

Protip: open doors then move out of the way, everyone has had their legs broken once or twice when we were new to the game, if you've managed to do it 4 times and still haven't learnt then you aren't the brightest crayon in the box, simple at that.

• Like 5

Protip: open doors then move out of the way, everyone has had their legs broken once or twice when we were new to the game, if you've managed to do it 4 times and still haven't learnt then you aren't the brightest crayon in the box, simple at that.

I've been doing that. It doesnt work 100% of the time, or when people put wire around its. Its a bug - sometimes its unavoidable.

In addition, its illogical, it shouln't be a problem in the game.

Edited by Doomlord52
  • Like 2

Haha just be more careful when you open doors man! I got killed by a door for the first time about a month ago. Ever since then, I just make sure I'm in a position where the door won't swing into me when I open it. No incidents since then! The doors are killers but they can be worked around without too much effort on your part.

• Like 1

ive been on dayz since the day it came out, only been killed/broken bones by a door ONCE. I learned after that how to open doors.

Try a bit more before giving up, as you CAN make sure that door death does not happen in the future.

Not trying to sound like a dick or anything but have you tried *not* standing in the way of doors? Its not like they change the direction they open or anything.

I still remember when deer stands and ladders were deathtraps if you didn't have a pistol equipped... good times.

I've been playing for 3 weeks too and I never broke my legs with a door. I just open them and nothing ever happens to my lags. I once broke my legs as I was trying to V on my boat, but that was a obvious thing to happen. And the other time I crawled backwards into a tent which make me almost bleed out and the tent destroyd. And there was once a situation where I turned to fast and broke a leg. But no, I've never broke a leg with a door :D

Not trying to sound like a dick or anything but have you tried *not* standing in the way of doors? Its not like they change the direction they open or anything.

I still remember when deer stands and ladders were deathtraps if you didn't have a pistol equipped... good times.

Yep, I stand on the opposite side of the door-hinge, from the furthest distance that the option still shows. Even then, the door might touch me (basically bumping me). However, its just the specific barrack at the NWAF. Its always been the front door at the southern barracks. That thing kills. No other door has done it. Just that one. Four times. I think its bugged, and there's some invisible edge that my guy gets pushed into.

Next time, why won't you just go and spare us from these threads...

This is the age of entitlement.

Next time, why won't you just go and spare us from these threads...

Funny that. I played the game, liked it, gave feedback, and gave some constructive critisism. That's exactly what rocket asked for:

We need the haters

Or I will spend all my time working on "cool new stuff" and ignore the bugs, because solving bugs is not fun. It is not exciting. It is not sexy. And it doesn't frontpage on PCGamer, Kotaku, RPS, etc... New features do. So without the haters... this project will die.

Really. Go look at any of his patch-notes threads.

<- killed by hackers twice.

<- killed by doors .. never.

doors aren't the problem

<- killed by hackers twice.

<- killed by doors .. never.

doors aren't the problem

I agree that hackers are a bigger problem. However, doors still remain a problem. By all means, find and implement a hacker solution first - its MUCH more important. However, a bug like this that can insta-kill a player is somewhat high-level, and should be addressed.

if you're getting killed by doors...wow.

move when you open them? really not a big deal.

Been playing for a few months and never have I been killed by a door. I have been killed by a tree in prone before, but as far as weird glitch deaths, does not happen to me.

bye, wont be missed.

So this is your contribution to the thread you ignorant fuck? Why not just STFU? He HAS a point you know, it is indeed annoying as hell, getting broken bones or even killed by opening doors and should be fixed asap to let players play their game they paid for flewlessly.

However as OP said its been reported. Thanks for that

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

Why can't you just sand on the side of the door it doesn't swing open? As in, if your opening a door it comes out and swings to the left, so stand on the right side? It's not like you have to exactly on top of the door to open it. Oh well, sorry this is the GAMEBREAKING problem that is causing you to quit.

So this is your contribution to the thread you ignorant fuck? Why not just STFU? He HAS a point you know, it is indeed annoying as hell, getting broken bones or even killed by opening doors and should be fixed asap to let players play their game they paid for flewlessly.

you didn't pay for dayz though. redundant argument.

doors are only a danger if you're stupid enough to let them open through you.

Edited by Dankine

If your legs getting broke, I feel bad for you son.

I've had 99 deaths, and a door ain't one.

Seriously though, this is a problem with ArmA2, not DayZ. It's something that might be fixed come stand-alone, if we ever see it. Rocket has already stated that this is one thing he can't fix, even though there's already a fix for it. It's simply an "unrealistic" fix that allows your character to simulate more mobility than looking with pistols drawn.

Day Z is free man. It'll get fixed when it's fixed, until then just chill and don't stand in front of the doors.

I don't get your problems with doors. I'm alive for 54 days now and I had to pass many of them, never had problems. Are you just too stupid to walk trough them or whats going on? Are u closing the doors before you're out of the building? Do you like to get pressed like oranges to orange juice? Please. Think before do. Seriously, it sucks if everyone is qqing about doors killing you.

It's just.. dumb. o.O

I have broken my leg going prone off a firehouse. Rolling off the stairs in a barn. Falling off the 2nd level of a farm. I have broke my leg when I crashed a tracker and the explosion launched me 30m out the windshield. I have had zombies break my legs in one hit at full health, no other damage. I have gotten my legs broke from people shooting me. But I have never had a door break my leg. And the door you mention didn't do it the three or four times I have opened it.

I don't know what to say brother. Maybe the door just hates you. Sorry to see you go though.

Out.

Day Z is free man. It'll get fixed when it's fixed, until then just chill and don't stand in front of the doors.

Who bought Arma2 to play Arma2? Almost noone. So it wasnt free. But I understand what you mean.