adrianscholl

The Problems With Tents

Tents are the lifeblood of late gameplay in Day Z. Elite groups of survivors rely heavily on items stockpiled in hidden tents. Unfortunately, they are currently in a very unstable state.

Blinking Tents Bug

Every time a server admin improperly restarts the HIVE along with their server, tents (and cars) are not loaded into the game. They still exist in the database and will reappear upon proper restart, but they will not show up until then. These improper restarts happen all the time because the game is currently in an unstable state. For groups that operate out of their camps, they never know when their tents (and cars) will be missing for the majority of a day. It also makes it difficult to tell if cars have been stolen or simply if the server just needs a proper restart. Tent blinking makes them extremely unreliable. [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6]

Duplicating Tents Bug

Every time you place a tent, it is there forever on the database. You can package the tent and place it down in a different place, however the server will still remember the old location (as well as the new one). Many people have encountered this bug and been able to essentially farm tents. Beyond making it extremely easy to acquire new tents once you have your first, this makes it virtually impossible to create an organized camp. Any tents you placed will come back every time the server restarts. Since ownerless tents despawning after 2 days has not been implemented nor has an ability to simply delete tents, this leads to a cancerous case of tentception in a campsite that will eventually take over everything you know and love. [1], [2], [3], [4]

Difficult to Place Tents

Tents have always been very fickle about where they can be placed. In the past, it was necessary to place them at least twenty-five feet away from any other objects (such as trees) and on a perfectly smooth surface. This makes tents incredibly difficult to hide, because they have to be in a clearing. Fortunately, this was noted and the radius was reduced in patch 1.5.8.3. Unfortunately, now tents cannot be placed at all. Anywhere. [1], [2], [3]

The aim of this post is to consolidate the current issues with tents in order that greater developer attention may be focused on this area of the game. Comments and discussion are welcome.

I hate to be that guy, but I've popped this in the bug report section as its a great post and helpful to the devs.

I heard that it was difficult to place tents before, but after seeing the 1.5.8.3 changelog I was hoping it would be much easier. Well a friend and I both had tents today, and we could not place them anywhere. Even on perfectly flat area like a road wouldn't accept it.

I'm signing this also. I have included a screenshot of the field I was attempting to place a tent on. If it's not possible here, it's not possible anywhere:

RIBM3.jpg

Tents are not even worth the three inventory slots they take up at the moment. I'm not using them until they are 100% complete.

I tried for an hour today to find a tent spot. No luck. I gave up and came to the forums to see what was wrong. Found this thread and figured I'd report having the same issue.

We have everything we need....except placing tents. We have a base lined up with Sand Bags, Wire Fencing, Vechicles but can't place a tent. I hope this gets fixed in the next patch. I feel that people can't succesfully branch out knowing that they have no where to store extra materials. Please Rocket fix this and I won't have any other problems with the game.

Tents are basically worthless at this point because it seems that every server restart all of my gear inside a tent is wiped. This also applies to storage in cars. Absolutely absurd because this has happened more than once, across multiple servers.

Please fix this immediately.

As I have said time and time again, putting the databases on each individual server would solve so many problems, not to mention allow my friends and I to spend more time enjoying the game instead of testing methods to get the game to actually work right.

Tents are basically worthless at this point because it seems that every server restart all of my gear inside a tent is wiped. This also applies to storage in cars. Absolutely absurd because this has happened more than once' date=' across multiple servers.

Please fix this immediately.

As I have said time and time again, putting the databases on each individual server would solve so many problems, not to mention allow my friends and I to spend more time enjoying the game instead of testing methods to get the game to actually work right.

[/quote']

I hate to be that guy, but this mod is in Alpha state. All you're doing is testing methods to get the game to actually work right.

Alpha state or not, this should high on the priority list. My friends and I only play so many hours each day and most servers crash or restart after a certain amount of time goes by. Each time that happens I lose anything not in my inventory, and my trust in this game goes down.

If I can barely trust tents and cars, let alone backpack errors and erasing weapons, then how can I put faith into any kind of storage in this mod?

It seems directly related to database issues, plus a few in-game bugs. I have played several games/mods from their Alpha state, but problems of this magnitude are of higher priority than what this seems to be.

Also having this issue. spent an hour (literally) just trying to find a place to pitch the tent, no luck. I'm at a standstill with my character because of it :(

The same problem, hour spent on finding a good place to place a tent, Of course no success :(

so i guess I can drop my tent now?

I went all over hell and back trying to place it. Thought it was me, when I saw the change log of 1.5.8.3 fixed it. went back and tried again. redownloaded the mod in case i missed a file. Yeah yeah alpha. ARGGG but I want it to be beta already. :P

I heard that if you loaded up 1.5.8.2 and joined a server... while it is flashing black at you, if in a good spot, you can place the tent, reupgrade back to 1.5.8.4 and have your tent... abet in middle of a field where it isnt very useful. Still I'm off to try that.

Another bug I noticed in over an hour of trying to place a tent was the character going through the animation, hammering the pegs and whatnot, only to find that the tent wasn't pitched and still in my inventory.

I've been able to sucessfully place tents in 1.5.8.4, though the radius is noticeably larger than it was in 1.5.7, which was already large.

Server with tent placement that worked was US4 beta version.

I am also unable to place tents, even in the middle of a soccer field. Add this to vehicles not spawning anywhere on any servers and it makes storage impossible.

Here is a solution how to place tents with the current patch: (1.5.8.4)

- Search for a spot where you want to place your tent

- Open up the gear-menu

- Get into duck-position ("x"-key)

- Slowly sneak forwards while spamming "pitch a tent"

You will see you can pitch up a tent, even on a non-flat surface. Thanks to the guy who posted this solution in another thread.