Sign in to follow this  
CreamCrackered

My First Week With DayZ

I downloaded DayZ last weekend and I am really enjoying it so far. I thought I’d share what has turned out to be quite an eventful few first nights running around looking for beans, guns and what-not with friends! :)

First Life

Spawned near one of the cities and I’m thinking “okay, might be some good loots round here” so head into town.. big mistake! Managed to aggro a few zombies straight away while getting used to the controls and managed to get myself munched within a couple of minutes. Not a great start!

Second Life

Spawned a bit further along the coast so start to head in-land without drawing aggro. After passing the tree line I go full sprint and after a few miles manage to find a barn and a Lee Enfield rifle... sweet! No food or other consumables but better than last time. After wandering the woods for an hour I find yet another barn and an axe but I’ve aggro’d a few zombies . So I take the high ground in the barn and pick a few off. Manage to loot a couple in between waves, get some food off one but not much more than that. Dealt with the second wave but on my way down the stairs I fall all of two feet and break both my legs. The third wave attracted by my firing soon chow down on me. Lesson learnt – firing your very loud weapon is not always a winning move!

Third Life

Started well – managed to aquire a water bottle, some pasta and an axe in the first village I found. Also learnt how to evade zombies in the trees which I was very pleased with. After a couple of hours I managed to find myself in a very deserted Stary Stobor. Two more water bottles are found and filled at a nearby well. A quick look around the church in the town gets me some good loot – a Makarov, some ammo and a few supplies. Make my way out of town to the treeline, think I’ll loot that town again tomorrow as the pickings were good...

So a friend decides to join me for a bit of safety in numbers the following day. I log back in at the same place and head down to loot before we meet up as he is miles away. Unfortunately the zombies have returned and a dozen swarm me before I get close to town. I manage to kill half a dozen with my pistol before the ammo runs out, switch to axe but as good a weapon one on one it may be it isn’t great against swarms and after a few minutes I’m out for the count. Should have run but as I’m still a noob I stood my ground.

Fourth Life

Start by the coast and head up to the mountains. Find another axe and a few supplies. Decide to head to where my friend stashed some gear in a truck he found a few weeks earlier on the same server, which we both hope is still there.

Unfortunately while we are both on route to the truck he gets one shoted by a sniper (d’oh!) and looses his gear. Takes me a while to get to where he hid it and while some of the loot is gone I fill my pack with decent supplies but no rifle or handguns.

He spawns and after a bit of a run around we meet up near Cherno. We head into town armed only with axes and within a couple of minutes we run into a dude with a rifle who puts us both out of our misery. Lesson learnt – don’t bring an axe to a gunfight!

Fifth Life

Another night and I spawned near Kamarov and after running about a bit getting loots we meet up and are heading along the coast when we get buzzed by a helicopter. Excitement doesn’t last long as my friend gets shot by the gunner and the noise attracts a lot of zombies. Manage to evade them but I’ve lost a lot of blood fighting them hand to hand (with an axe) in a barn I end up passing out and getting eaten again!

Sixth Life

Start near Kamarov on one of the islands and have to swim to shore! Manage to loot a can of coke, some bandages and an axe in the first building. Head into the mountains and after a bit of exploring head back down to the town to look for more loots. Unfortunately found out that rocks are my natural enemy... while standing on one looking over the town both my legs break and I end up going unconcious and bleeding to death. Damn you rocks!!!

Seventh Life

So I decide to head along the coast to meet up with my friend who is finding some excellent loots. I pass another unarmed newbie spawn and there is a tense moment where we wait to see what each other will do. I eventually get bored and carry on once I realise he is unarmed.

After a few more minutes running I see what appear to be boats in the water further up the coast. My inital reaction is “okay, boats mean people, could be some armed players round here...”, followed by “free boat!”.

I cautiously approach with the intent of stealing a boat and see a few dead players on the shore. I’m guessing there was perhaps a firefight on the shore line but it might mean some supplies, maybe a gun.

What happened next was bizarre. As I got closer I saw a lot more dead players, several more boats and about fifty dead sheep! I decide to see what I can loot and pick up an AK and some good supplies but as soon as I realise that this isn’t right I and everyone on the server instantly dies!

So this was my first encounter with a hacked server and my latest lesson – if you think its a hack, gtfo!

Eighth Life

We move to another server and respawn. My friend does well on the loot again and after a brisk jog along the coast we meet up. Both armed and both have a few supplies. We hit a town, get some consumables and head into the hills. Unfortunately (or not) we aggro a few zombies and manage to cap about 20 each in a barn over the next 5 minutes. With ammo running low we make a break for it and evade the zombies in the forest.

Having composed ourselves we find a factory and after scoping it out decide to hit it for some ammo and more supplies. While sneaking around the permiter we spot another player running along the treeline. Making a beeline for the factory before he spots us, I head up and my friend searches the lower floors.

I head to the roof to keep an eye out for the other survivor and while I am on overwatch I hear four very loud rapid bangs – the other player has covered the distance to the factory while we were getting inside and has killed my friend with a shotgun! So I am trapped on the roof of the factory with 2 rounds for my rifle and an unfriendly survivor with no hesitation to shoot on sight is very close.

The next 5 minutes are the most tense so far of my DayZ gaming time – more tense than sneeking into towns unarmed, more tense than going into a city for the first time. I find a good ambush point with reasonable cover and only one way in and I wait... and wait...

My only chance is if I can get one good shot before he sees me. After 5 minutes I hear 8 rapid shots further away and I realise he doesn’t know I’m here! Perhaps he only saw one of us and now he’s fighting his way out. After a couple more minutes I sneak out and make my way down to the lower level, expecting to take a shotgun to the face any second. But he’s gone and he’s left most of my friends gear behind.

I decide to swap weapons from my friends body (his rifle had more rounds than mine) and collect anything useful for us before getting out of there. I eventually find a good concealed position to hide and take stock of the situation. Fortunately my friend hasn’t spawned far away and gets to me in no time. We split the supplies and he’s found an axe on route so it’s all good.

We soon find a crashed military chopper and formulate a plan – one of use will go in, draw away the zombies and the other will come in for awsome loots (we hope). If there is more than one gun the roles will reverse and we will both then have awsome guns.

As I have a rifle I volunteer to be the bait as if there is only one gun there then at least we’ll both be armed. I run in, fire a few rounds off and do laps round the chopper until I have collected all the zombies. Then running off my friend runs in to find... nothing! It’s either not a military spawn point or it’s been looted, bugger!

At that point more spawns come in and we have perhaps 20 zombies going for us. We retreat into the trees and manage to kill all but two before my ammo runs out and my friend dies. I manage to grab his axe and kill the last two, again grabbing what supplies I can from his mangled corpse. While he died and we did loose all our ammo it was really funny and well worth doing :D

He spawns nearby again and we manage to meet up but with no rifles and only one axe between us it looks like we’ll be heading to a nearby town looking to restock on supplies and pick up some weapons soon...