Chanto327

Modular P.A. Systems?

Basically, I got this idea in my head today in the form of a mental image of a bus driving around playing "Low Rider". It was an entertaining visual, but it also had potential, imo.

What I'm thinking is basically this: Rarely, in spots that would make sense to have P.A. systems such as hospitals, military & fire stations and the like, you would be able to find systems--or at least usable components to one--that you could take and install in a building, or in smaller structures like deer stands, or even equip them to certain vehicles such as buses, cars, helicopters, etc.

How they would function would be probably just how you'd expect; Using one/using Direct Chat near an active system would greatly expand the effective range of your voice. This could be used for easily sending out messages to large, spread-out groups, or sending a distress message, or--if you're feeling particularly like a bastard--luring in other survivors to do what you will with them. Of course this would also risk drawing in more zombies as well.

And as an added functionality, a user would also be able to possibly take mp3 files from their computer and directly broadcast them over the speakers in the form of a pre-recorded warning or help message, or--as I'd expect most commonly--music, which could not only be used just for fun, but also for, say, drawing a large portion of the zeds' attention toward your vehicle and away from your friend who's searching the nearby small village for loot.

Lots of different, neat functionalities for something like this would be possible if implemented well, I imagine. Mostly, I'm just wondering if anyone else would like something like this or if I'm the only one who thinks it'd be rather neat to broadcast Ride of the Valkyries as you and your friends fly over Chenarus, mowing down the armies of walking dead. :P

• Like 2

Most problems with voice is that there will always be idiots who will scream, yell and play stupid music for everyone to hear just because they can. I doubt someone in real life would risk playing some shitty song just to troll other survivors. But ingame there is less consequences to dying and trolls will always be there to ruin your fun.

So I would probably be against this, a ranged voice is all we need. Like a 50m proximity on which people can hear you with reduced sound volume and as you come closer you become louder and louder.

sounds good but realism, remember.

ye PA systems don't exist.

ACRE....

requires you to be in teamspeak

sounds good but realism, remember.

Admittedly, I understand the whole .mp3 file broadcasting thing being a big hard to consolidate, (only thing I could imagine being, perhaps the survivor happened to have some CDs or an MP3 player to plug in or something, but still, I get that that's rather iffy), but considering that--to my knowledge--some vehicles like police cars and such have similar systems built-in. I'm no expert on cars, but I can't imagine it being too difficult to jerry-rig a loudspeaker system into something like a bus with enough know-how.

ACRE....

I've seen that mentioned every now and then. Just now looked into that a bit. If that could be implemented into the game, then fantastic, close enough to what I'm envisioning. But from what I've seen it doesn't seem to be compatible with DayZ yet. As of now this is just an alternate idea.

Most problems with voice is that there will always be idiots who will scream, yell and play stupid music for everyone to hear just because they can. I doubt someone in real life would risk playing some shitty song just to troll other survivors. But ingame there is less consequences to dying and trolls will always be there to ruin your fun.

So I would probably be against this, a ranged voice is all we need. Like a 50m proximity on which people can hear you with reduced sound volume and as you come closer you become louder and louder.

I fully realize that, yes, this kind of thing definitely has potential to be abused for the sake of annoyance. This is why--to at least help counteract that--my thoughts on this include making the spawning of this type of item (or components of one) rather rare. If you're lucky enough to find one, the hope is that you'd use it more wisely than if they were an easy commodity. And keep in mind that even if you were to, say, camp up high in a building in Elektro or what-have-you and spam Never Gonna Give You Up over loudspeaker for the purpose of pissing others off in the area, it'd highly increase the odds of the other survivors coming right for you to brutally execute you and gank your stuff. And, to reiterate, it'd also be a surefire way to attract more zeds to you.

I second this. The ground work is kind of already there. In the ARMA 2 campaign there is an active PA system that was used to broadcast news of the war and such. So the ability to play user voice from those in game speakers may already be possible.

A solution to the fear of d-bags using it to grieve and annoy, you make it a static location from which to broadcast from. That way if someone is annoying you with the PA system, you know where to go to try and kill them.

• Like 1